1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Under the Same Sky by Zeitgeist - T - Pokemon

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lungs, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Under the Same Sky
    Author: Zeitgeist
    Rating: T
    Genre: General Fics
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms - Pokemon
    Pairing: Some Black/Cynthia
    Summary: A nameless teenager is heralded as the Champion of the Unova League. However, he's not ready to bear that cross. In order to deal with his inner demons, he absconds to Undella Town - and meets a certain blonde Sinnoh Champion. Verse: B/W Games.
    Link: WbA and ffn
    (Not all of it is posted at ffn yet)

My WbA review: I found it fantastic.

The writing was pristine and the prose was brilliant.

The most disconcerting points were the pop culture references throughout, especially the ones that I didn't get.

But it works. It works like few other pieces I have seen in a while - for several months now, there's been precious few pieces of fanfiction that worked as well as this piece did for me.

This is why I joined DLP - to see writing of this caliber in fanfiction.

Awesome/5

2. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I fucking love this bullshit. Read it. 5/5.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2020
  3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Good writing, good story, and good characters, though that damn epilogue still needs to be posted. Zeit, it's been like a month. Please post it soon. ;_;

4/5.

4. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

This. 5/5 easily.

5. Fatality

Fatality Order Member

I definitely enjoyed this story, although the lack of a proper ending is annoying. The epilogue definitely needs to be posted - things have been left somewhat hanging, as is.

Still, easily 5/5 stuff. Interactions between Black and Cynthia are awesome, especially the fight between them.

6. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed the story, but not as much as the others really.

I thought it was an interesting character piece, but probably don't know as much about pokemon as the rest of you. This hampered my knowledge of what was going on in the story slightly.

4/5 from me.

7. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

I read it. And then I re-read it.

Awesome work.

Considering this isn't something I'd normally read, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this fic. Not long before reading this I'd gone through Br33zy's Lull and I consider this to be superior by a wide margin.

It was just filled with things I enjoyed which made for a great experience; Cynthia's characterization, the well-written battles, the scene with Unfezant, the wailmer and the pizza boy...the list goes on. Black's progress from beginning to end was something I also thought was extremely done; you can really see the contrast in attitudes and the transition between them was believable.

The only problem now is that it needs the epilogue, in which I hoping that Zekrom and we can definite closure.

5/5

8. Coelacanth

Coelacanth Denarii Host

I read it and I loved it. Absolutely amazing stuff right here.

And a sequel after we all play Black 2 & White 2 would just make this stuff even better.

9. Knyght

Knyght Alchemist

Decided to give this one a re-read after getting the epilogue at long last.

And while it's still a good story, one of the best in the fandom even, the only problem I had with it before was knowing that there was meant to be an epilogue that we didn't have. Now we have the epilogue and I kinda regret reading it.

If it had just been the part between Black and N then it would have been just right, I'd say. Perfect, even. I don't always agree with the forgiveness theme but it certainly fits in with the whole "under the same sky" concept that was the story was founded on. Unfortunately, the lead-up to that scene where everyone in Black's life thinks he's dead or gone really hurts the hopeful, healing tone of the last couple of chapters and would have prefer the mystery of Chapter 6's ending over that.

Everything I said in my original review is still true. It's just got a slightly bitter aftertaste it didn't have before.

4.5/5 rounded up regardless.