1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Unhinged or Crazy protagonists.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Haze, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Haze

Haze Second Year

As you can read from the title, I am looking for stories that have a powerful (or will be powerful) protagonist(s), male or female, that are either crazy, just unhinged or slowly going over the edge. Naruto fics preferred but I'll take any (besides Worm). SI fics are fine as well.

If possible, please recommend fics that have crossed a certain length threshold i.e 50k, unless they are one-shots.

Saw this recommended on the forums but https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10779196/1/Walk-on-the-Moon has an excellent but pretty crazy protagonist, so something like that.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Walk on the Moon is definitely one of the better executed fics of with a protagonist like that so I am not sure how good the other fics will stack up against that.

Lily and the Art of Being Sisyphus by The Carnivorous Muffin definitely qualifies as a crazy protagonist but it is a more lighthearted and humorous story, so not sure if this is what you're looking for.
    Princess of the Blacks by Silently Watches should qualify for the powerful and unhinged protagonist bit, and more than a little bit fucked up. It is very much an indy Harry story with lots of weird stuff, and the Dumbledore in this is shit. A guilty pleasure fic more than anything so maybe you'll like this.

Rurouni Familiar by Slavok has a rather strong and also mentally different protagonist and this story is a delight from beginning to end as Soujiro is a fascinating character who is a ton of fun to follow, even knowing he isn't quite right in the head. Crossover between Familiar of Zero and Rurouni Kenshin.

The Leader by the Lord of the Land of Fire is a Saga of Tanya the Evil/Youjo Senki fanfic, so if you want to read a story about Tanya and the Empire after the loss in WW1 is starting to rebuilt the Empire as an even more fascist structure and basically throw down again in WW2 again, with a few familiar faces of history (and not in a good way) to rear their heads, well, there is that in here. Tanya is way more psychopatic than in the anime and is out for blood and war (so not really a good take on her)and doesn't really care about the ways to achieve power. The writing style is pretty bad, to be honest, and I am following it mainly because it's in a lot of ways a fascinating and kinda uncomfortable read and it's also the only updating Youjo Senki story that is kinda interesting, but if you are looking for powerful and unhinged protags, well, this kinda has that, even if it jumps around in terms of POV.

Can look for more later on but these were the first I saw on my favorites list.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain by nuhuh

4. Haze

Haze Second Year

Lily I've read, it is pretty good but I wasn't a big fan of the fact that Tom ended up being more important to Lily than Death!Harry.

I've seen Princess many times but the premise has always been so weird that I've never actually read it. Its also femslash, I believe? My anathema.

Haven't read Leader and Familiar before. Thanks for these :)

Strange. I've read this one many times but I honestly can't recall it fitting the description. Then again, maybe a re-read is required. Thanks.

5. buzzer

buzzer Slug Club Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Lesser Sadness by Newcomb is excellent however it hasn't been updated in about three years.

Summary: Crush the world beneath your heel. Destroy everyone who has ever slighted you. Tear down creation just to see if you can. Kill anything beautiful. Take what you want. Desecrate everything.

6. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

7. Xarlor

Xarlor Second Year

Blood and Chaos: https://forums.spacebattles.com/thr...the-story-of-a-btvs-si-turned-vampire.354777/

It is more or less a Buffy the Vampire Slayer SI, with the protagonist dying within minutes to Drusilla and being raised as a vampire. From there on he experiments on humans and vampires, to better his position and power. It is pretty solid from a technical perspective. It is a bit more in the direction of crack than a serious fic, but can be pretty funny.

8. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Knocking on Heaven's Door, by Shadenight123. Magic:The Gathering, following a (slightly) insane Planeswalker. Lots of crossovers, but you don't need to know most of them.

Shade is a violent tyrant amongst planeswalkers, with only 3 rules:
    No Planeswalker shall die, lest by the hand of the Tyrant.
    No Planeswalker shall consort with Phyrexia.
    No Planeswalker shall consort with the Eldrazi.

The problem is, he enforces these rules by killing and eating people who disagree with him. And whilst we (as readers) know he's preventing the literal end of everything... His subordinates don't.

It's been a while since I read it, but I think it's Oldwalkers, spoilers below:

Shade walks into Fallout, gets hungry, and becomes slivers. Somehow travels back in time, and stops the problems that meant The Mending needed to happen.