1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2013

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

So, just saw Frozen.

Whoa. Disney saving all its musical mojo (or atleast a little bit of mojo from each of their films) for one punch. The Mickey Mouse cartoon at the beginning was a nice touch. Or atleast it will be for those people who remember the thing, like me.

Looks like Disney was trying to re-create its old magic of the Lion King days. Not sure if they succeeded. >_>

While the story was more than decent, it still felt like a mixing of too many of their older concepts to me (The entry Ice cutting song, the love concept, cute kids, the romance, the love concept, the cliche villain who you thought was a good guy, Loooooooooove, etc, etc). Although the twist regarding love at the end was kinda nice. Something new for Disney.

Still give it a 3.5/5 as a Christmas-y kinda movie.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw Gravity today. The best cinematic experience I've had in years, and a comfortable shoe-in for film of the year. Simply outstanding.

3. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was just at a screening for the upcoming movie HER, followed by a Q&A with the director Spike Jonze. Amazing movie, highly recommended. He's an interesting nerdy person.

4. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Should've been called "Murphy's law; the film."

Still amazing though. So many people deserve so many awards for that film.

5. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Was in the Counsellor. It is one of those films that tries to hard at being "art" and forgets what makes movies work.
    It feels more like a book than a real movie... but despite that I quite enjoyed it,

6/10

6. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I stumbled across a trailer for a Western version of Oldboy today. Josh Brolin stars and Spike Lee directs. Trailer looks pretty awesome, and it seems to pay homage to the original pretty well.

One issue/difference I see though is one of the main points of the original movie not coming to pass because Joe Doucett (Brolin) saw his daughter's face as an adult, which should make it impossible for him not to recognise her when he runs into her. Unless they're taking things in a different direction entirely, which was hinted at in the trailer.

If I'm in the mood for a particularly twisted movie at any point, I'll definitely be checking Oldboy out.

7. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Didn't that already release? And bomb?

8. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    More like "Stupid Decisions: The Film".

"Oh hey, I'm on a tight schedule and if I miss my window of opportunity I'll die. So I think I'll take a couple of minutes to chill out on this badly damaged space station rather than going immediately to the escape pod which I still need to learn how to use."

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  9. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not sure, actually. Hasn't released in Australia as far as I know. Hadn't heard about it at all before today.

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It released in the US and did very poorly both commercially and critically.

11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

I saw Frozen yesterday and I liked it. It was better than Tangled, and it showed in a beautiful way the power of winter - almost every scene when Elsa was using her powers, I imagined her as Mab.

And now, look at this, and lets call it The Ascension of Queen Mab ;)

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arctis Tor. :D

For something completely unrelated to Dresden, this is about as close as it'd come.

13. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Now imagine Mab going to cinema with Sarissa to see this movie. I would bet that she would be amused ;)

14. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That was very good and her "transformation" was awesome too. Reminded me a little of the Winter Queen from Narnia.

15. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Huh. I'll need to see that sometime. I watched Tangled and Wreck-It-Ralph too, seems like that studio makes good movies.

It actually reminded me of a scene in Watchmen where Doctor Manhattan makes a crystal palace on Mars.

16. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Saw Catching Fire today. Not bad, but retrod a lot of material from the previous film, and definitey felt more like an extended set up for the third film than a film in its own right. How much of that is a flaw in the source material, I'm not sure. Still worth a watch, but not a must see.

17. Rym

Rym Auror

Saw Catching Fire today. I've never read the books, but they did a solid job with this one - it's actually a good movie in its own right. Way better than the first.

I would even watch it again. So there.

18. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

So dlp, rec me good comedy movies released recently in the last year or two.

I guess I only saw The World's End and This is the End recently both of which are awesome.

19. Rym

Rym Auror

We are the millers. I cried.

20. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

As the 2nd part of a trilogy, I think that it is necessarily an extended set up for the conclusion. It stayed fairly close to the source material and I enjoyed it. I was worried that they were going to rewrite the romance. I'm glad that it stayed as tangled as it was in the books. Also the quarter quell island was pretty well portrayed.

Anyway, gonna go see 47 Ronin with my brother and sister tommorow. I hope it's everything we expect, namely: awesome sword fights, monsters, giant battles, ''meh'' acting and sweet looking settings.