1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2016

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Actually this looks better than most run of the mill syfi films. I'll definitely give this one a go. Unfortunately I don't recognize any of the actors or actresses.

2. Sorrows

Sorrows Queen of the Flamingos Moderator

Apparently, it came out in the UK a few months back.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Arrival:

[gfy]AdoredVacantBarbet[/gfy]

4. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

So went and saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them today, was just what I expected. Nothing spectacular but it looked good and I left satisfied.

Except for Johnny Depp as Grindelwald, and his look? Definitely not how I pictured Gellert.
    My biggest question to come from the movie is... was that a reference to The Wizard from Earth by Roarion? The first time we see the Thunderbird, Newt mentions that he rescued it from Egypt where they kept it chained up.

I don't know if Roarion got the idea from somewhere else or whatever but for me that was the only time I have come across that scene (Thunderbird chained up in Egypt) and it seemed a very clear reference to that story.

Pretty cool if it is.

Also my bad if this has been posted somewhere else, don't keep up to date on all the threads.

5. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

How's Arrival guys? I hear and read from friends that it is quite good. Worth the watch on IMAX 3D or it's not that kind of movie?

Also, for Star Wars, I wish they would make the Thrawn Trilogy. He's the best villain out there, second only to Palpatine.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

If you look two threads beneath this one you will see a lot of praise and several mentions of it being the best movie they have seen this year.

7. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I've seen a few movies over that last couple of months, and thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

Allied: I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but it blew me away. I thought it was fantastic. Both Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard are phenomenal as their characters, the setting and costumes are spectacular--I'm a bit of a WWII buff so I kept looking for errors, but happily couldn't find any that stuck out to me. I was afraid that plot wouldn't work, or would be poorly executed, but I was not disappointed. Just about every aspect is done well, and it meshes together perfectly. I definitely recommend this one.

Bleed for This: Decent, but not earth-shattering. It's the type of movie I'm happy I saw, but probably am never gonna see again. In terms of recent boxing movies, I'd say it's not as good as Creed but better than Southpaw.

The Accountant: I really enjoyed this one, though I could see why others might have different opinions. It's got a lot of the "mindless action-thriller" in it, but I think it actually does well in terms of having an actual plot with interesting characters (though, admittedly, little character development). I've liked Affleck since Argo, and he and the supporting actors all do well with a good script. That said, the joke that Affleck is essentially playing his version of Batman here isn't totally wrong.

Hacksaw Ridge: I really wanted to like this, I really did, but it just never worked for me. Garfield's accent might be accurate (?), but it kept taking me out of the movie. Boot camp was also not great; I think the writer saw Full Metal Jacket when he was a kid, wrote down what he half-remembered, and said "Yeah, let's just go with that. Also, replace R. Lee Ermey with Vince Vaughn." If boot camp was cut-rate FMJ, then the battle scenes were cut-rate Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. I might be too critical--all of my friend liked it--but I was not a fan.

8. Roarian

Roarian High Inquisitor

I imagine it's just a fun coincidence - the alternative is that the writers are massive nerds who reference random fanfics, or I'm Sybil Trelawney. -shiver-

9. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Give lottery numbers please?

10. Blundo

Blundo Second Year

High Score:
    I planned to see this, but got concussed and it was out of theaters by the time I was better.

The first was better than I'd expected. In fact, just about every Tom Cruise film I've watched recently has been better than I'd expected, so perhaps I should just admit I'm a Tom Cruise fan now and start expecting his stuff to be fun.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just got back from 'Moana'. Really enjoyable - fantastic animation, great songs, good story, fun characters, and at least one moment that had me about one blink away from full on sobbing.

12. Euroclydon

Euroclydon High Inquisitor

Went and saw The Edge of Seventeen this weekend. It was really quite a well done "coming of age" film. The banter between Woody Harrelson and the female lead Hailee Steinfeld was hilarious. 8.5/10

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Can't wait. Think it's out Boxing Day in Australia.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Just watched it. Really enjoyed it and absolutely stunning visually, but the songs were a major let down for me.

Probably one of the weaker soundtracks in recent memory tbh. I had no real desire to hear any of them again unlike, say, Frozen - where I bought the soundtrack after leaving the cinema.

Still a really enjoyable movie though.

15. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I really enjoyed the film, decent storyline, and excellent voices.

Most of the songs were meh, but I did love Shiny.