1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming Movies in 2017

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Celestin, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, saw it last week.

It isn't special really, but my god, it's fun. And the fight feels so much more visceral than the polished ones you often get in films. Lighting and soundtrack were really good, as was watching Theron and McAvoy.

I think it might just be one of those films (like the Transformers series) where if the trailer looks good to you, you'll love the film, but otherwise don't bother.

---

Also, I saw Valerian on Monday.

It isn't really much like I thought the trailer would be. There's certainly some otherworldly landscapes, but nothing as incredible as all the previews made it look.

Acting was... poor, although it wasn't all terrible.

I enjoyed it, but it didn't match the hype. And (apparently) you can tell it's a Besson film. I'm not certain on that, but quite a few people mentioned it.

2. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

Since the movie is not about fighting but about impending doom, it must rely on the characters to make viewers care about said impending doom.

But...the movie relied on natural predispositions of the viewers. It assumed viewers would care about and sympathize with the British/French based on national allegiances or understanding of the time period.

The movie itself gave me no reason itself to care about those men stranded on the beach. I held no empathy for them and so the hopelessness/constant death did nothing to me.

The pacing of the movie is slow and my dad actually almost fell asleep while watching it. The characters are bland. The plot is nonexistent.

The movie, for the purpose of entertainment or enjoyment, is like George's death. Meaningless.

For historical value, as a historian, it did a crappy job of conveying context. It's not necessarily bad to watch for a historical purpose...but you can get that in a much shorter amount of time and more in depth from a history book.

My one disclaimer to my opinion is that I had rewatched The Patriot with Mel Gibson the day before so that might skew my view on war movies.

3. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Netflix Death Note is out and it's terribad. Even once you get over how woefully miscast everyone is in their americanized roles, you still have the entire basic plot of the anime crunched down into an hour and change, leaving everything feeling pretty damn rushed.

4. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

We can post about movies we want to see in this thread too, right?

I saw this the other day. I dig kung-fu and fighting movies. Especially the old school fighting in the tree tops movies.

About Death Note, I'm pretty sure I read that Willem Defoe is in it. I assume he played the Death God? Is it in English, or what? How bad is the white washing.

5. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah Dafoe is Ryuk, but it's mostly CGI.

All the mains are white save for L who is black and Watari, who was kept asian. All the secondary detective characters were just removed entirely because there is no time for them.

Also, they mutilated the ending.

6. Arthellion

Arthellion Lord of the Banned ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Knew it would fail once I saw it was a movie and not show.

The greatest strength of Death Note imo was the pacing.

A battle of wits is incredibly difficult to pull off in a movie.

7. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I actually like the Netflix Death Note.

It's different, but that is always the case with adaptations.

The manga is better, of course, but this movie isn't as bad as people are making it out to be.

8. Solfege

Solfege Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Really enjoyed Dunkirk in 70mm a few weeks ago. Expected a natural disaster film and was not disappointed. It's a far cry, compared to reading the history, feeling the suspense within the sound and fury as yet another voiceless spectator. The lack of exposition was fully appropriate, even among the characters, for a film we can count as the first VR-oriented movie. People IRL tend not to be so expository anyway, except perhaps for us Americans.

Writing in today from seeing Good Time: a bravura performance from Pattinson. Now I want to pull up a Twilight movie to see how he compares (have not seen any).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  9. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Btw, if any of you love the Ocean's 11 movies like I do, do yourself a favour and watch Logan Lucky. I adored it.

People saying it's Ocean's Hillbillies aren't... entirely wrong, but I still loved it all the same.

10. James

James Unspeakable

Saw The Hitman's Bodyguard today. Was hoping for something simple and fun, got predictable piece of shit instead. Mouthy fuckup Reynolds & philosophical tough guy Jackson. As is usual.

And fucking fart jokes. What a waste of time.

11. Zombie

Outside of Deadpool, I don't like Reynolds. I think the last movie other than Deadpool I watched him in was R.I.P, which was basically Men in Black with Ghosts. I've never forgiven him for for Green Lantern.

I wish that they would put Jackson back into a role where he's Jules Winnfield again. I kinda liked him in Hateful 8, and Django, but I've not been truly inspired by any other role he's played since then.

His bit in Pulp fiction is so quotable that it just drives me to nostalgia each time.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    He's great in Buried.

Oh, and I liked Hitman's Bodyguard. [emoji14]

13. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Pulp Fiction 2 would actually be legitimately awesome if everyone reprised their roles. No idea what story would be workable but surely it would be a blockbuster hit.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

The Shape of Water was awarded the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival. No bad for a Hellboy spin-off. ;)

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Saw American Assassin - if you're a fan of the Mitch Rapp books, you'll probably like it a lot. Only had two nitpicks:

I thought Kennedy was a bit too emotional, and her dropping F bombs seemed cheap and OOC. She's supposed to be the anti-Rapp, so cool and cold that it infuriates her opponents. As for Rapp himself, the dude acted it fine I thought, but he just looked to boyish. I always pictured him as more grizzled and solid - though on thinking on it, that'd probably make it harder for him to blend in and all.

Keaton was brilliant. He was born for the Hurley role.

If you've never heard of the Mitch Rapp books or aren't a fan, the movie is nothing revolutionary. Maybe even cliche at times.

16. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I've only read the prequel books, and I didn't like the holographic training shit I saw in the trailer. I also didn't like the apocalyptic stakes that seemed to be implied—American Assassin was about the human costs, the people who are captured and tortured due to errors in our foreign presences.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    That AR stuff is super minor. Though I agree I find it weird that Hurley would ever use such training methods. It should be noted that they really nail his and Rapp's early relationship well, I feel.

regarding stakes and what the titular book was about, they've definitely taken liberties, and brought in elements from future books into the movie, but the stakes aren't quite so apocalyptic.

18. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Just got back from seeing "It" That was a very solid adaptation, and I hope I don't run into any clowns in the near future.

19. James

James Unspeakable

Finally saw Wonder Woman. Quite a meh movie, but Gadot is IMO super hot, so I don't consider it wasted two hours. I would if she wasn't my type though.

Well, hour and half, because I skipped a lot of what wasn't slow mo Gadot.

20. Zombie

I've heard mixed reviews.
    Some of the best horror movies are the ones that don't show the monster right off, and even the original adaption spent like the first hour of the movie setting the scene and why you should be scared of Pennywise, from what I've heard of this one, you see It, and you don't stop seeing him, which if I'm going to be scared of anything, its not going to be a fucking clown.

I feel like they're hinging off the fact that people are pussies these days and need trigger warnings for everything, including clowns.

I haven't watched it yet, I'll probably wait for it to hit digital download before I waste time on it.