1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Username Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robo Jesus, Jan 23, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. japanese_jew

japanese_jew High Inquisitor

This is how you're stupid. He received permission at least 100 years ago from the actual author of the guide to post it wherever he liked. It is not edited in the least. Besides, Bio alleged that he derived the concept of the guide from the commercial with "Man Law Number x".

Also, you said that he 'edited a bit', but from its earlier form, here it already had all of the similarities to Potter's Law you accused him of editing in.

Come on, you have access to the internet. Do a little research before spewing. If you were saying that he edited it in a different way, then please correct me.

2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Correction.

He didn't give credit where credit was due.

Read all the posts first before you call someone stupid for not researching before "spewing" as you so eloquently put it.

3. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

And wtf is this...are you going for humor?

4. Tinn Tam

Tinn Tam Review Goddess Retired Staff

Tinn Tam must be used by quite a few people in the francophone world, but I've never seen anyone speaking English with that name. Good enough for me.

Plus, it's short and easy to remember.

Downsides: it leads to having way too many nicknames, and it causes some people to think I am a biscuit.

5. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

*stroke's Tinn's hair.* You know I love how you taste, my Tim Tam, River Tam. ^_^

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

At least a hundred years ago is a meme. It just means a real long time ago.

7. BloodLust

BloodLust Banned

Tinn Tam.....biscuit?

Lots of people with my name methinks, and it's odd because I hate the sight of blood...I do like the taste though which is where it comes from.
    Used to uh, bite people. lulz, stopped when I found out about HIV though...mostly.

Downsides: People think I'm a guy o_o

8. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I don't think I have seen anyone that had either part of my name the same, but if there was it would be the Paen part. Necrule is too modified for someone to come up with it independently, methinks.

I myself, am a strong advocate of using common, but personally significant words and then combine and/or modify them until you have something unique.

9. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Rostam is popular; mainly because it is Persian Folklore. A mythical hero. However, adding Dark Lord makes it original. Go figure.

10. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I'd like to think my name is fairly original. I haven't found anyone else with 'Swimdraconian' as their penname.

Stop looking at me like I did a google search.

11. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I'd like to point out the majority of the Potter Laws aren't Bio's; he's the official scribe, and he first suggested the subject, but they're a compilation of contributions by various people on IRC and on the forums. I wouldn't bother bringing this up, but I felt it rather ironic that you're mis-crediting contributions in a rant about mis-crediting contributions.

That said, Robo Jesus - You lose a lot of respect for not properly crediting your source for this guide. Sure you have permission to repost it, but that's not the same as permission to take credit for posting it as your own work, which you were doing simply by not admitting it wasn't your own work. If you weren't called on it, would you have let the whole thing slide, continuing to gain reputation for someone else's work?

As for my own name? I know I'm not the only person to use it; I've had to register on various other sites using TeraVayne for forums and the like and Vayne42 for email or usernames/logins etc (The 42's partly just because Vayne's been taken and partly because I'm a big fan of the Hitchhiker's Guide; I figure if I've gotta have a number it might as well mean something to me). The name is original to me, however, by which I mean I came up with it without external influence (I needed to pick a profile name for a game of Halo with a friend and it popped into my head), though I've since learned there's a Vayne in one of the FF series, and there're probably others around pop-culture.

I've got to agree with JJ though, I identify users more by their avatar than their name; I have a bad habit of dismissing avatarless users somewhat since, to me, lack of an avatar indicates you've not really settled down into a community.

12. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    However, Bio is the one who started the idea of Potter Law and contributed the first laws. After that everyone chipped in.

13. Brei

Brei Squib

I'd recommend that if you're going to do something from a foreign language, do a word that sounds like a name, but actually means something goofy. I'll use my username as an example. "Brei" in German means "pap" as one definition.

14. malaga

malaga Auror

'Ello. I just joined and I got my name from my cat. I don't mean that she mewed it out or something, malaga is her name.

15. The-Hyphenated-One

The-Hyphenated-One Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Glad to have you hear, but you should probably head over to the intro forum and tell us about yourself.

I have never seen anyone with my username, and I would like to think it's original, but you never really can be sure.

16. Dango-Fetish

Dango-Fetish Fourth Year

Sitting solemnly in the centre of a black hole.
    Mine isn't too common

no idea why...

17. Dain Bread

Dain Bread Second Year

Eh, I'm sure there are similar names like mine out there. I was going to use Cunning Stunt but I thought it would offend someone...

18. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

I can assure you that every Death in a Pink Boa you encounter on the net is me.

19. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    You'd bite people hard enough to draw blood >_<

Damn, I'm surprised you're not dead >_>

20. deathinapinkboa

deathinapinkboa Minister of Magic

The Quaint excentissities of man.

Not open for further replies.