1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Veritas by ShayneT - T - Superman

Discussion in 'Anime, Cartoons, and Comics' started by Torric, May 6, 2012.

1. Torric

Torric Third Year

Title: Veritas
    Author: ShayneT
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Romance/(Angst)?
    Pairing: Clark/Lois
    Summary: *COA Nominee 2008*An alternate Clark Kent finds himself flying a planeload of passengers from 1993 Metropolis into real world post-9/11 2008 Washington DC. How will he deal with this new, darker world?
    Link: http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-16089/ShayneT+Veritas.htm

I'm honestly surprised that this isn't in the library. Not sure what else to throw comments about without spoiling, but I'll say that I thoroughly enjoyed this fic, even by today's higher standards then in 2008.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

May we have a link?

3. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Yeah, you fucked up a LOT of details in the title and the opening Torric. It's a Superman story, and the link can be found here.
    http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-16089/ShayneT+Veritas.htm

I recommend it too due to how well written it is. The environmental danger used towards the latter parts of the story is a bit silly, but eh, it's a Superman story, and the rest of it is very superbly written nonetheless.

5/5

4. Torric

Torric Third Year

Sorry I copy pasted one of the Harry Potter fics the library without double checking. Edited now.

Could a mod tag on Superman to the title plx?

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah, done.

6. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is certainly readable, but as a sociopath with an inclination towards mass homicide, the angstwank over 9/11 in early chapters pissed me off. It probably doesn't reflect well on me that I've been telling Americans to get over it for years - but hey, I've been saying the same to my own country of residence about WWII for even longer.

That's just a personal - and very likely unusual annoyance. I doubt it'll detract much from most readers' experiences. The balance between the two worlds, and the fact that it's essentially moving from one AU to another is interesting. I'm definitely going to continue reading and post further thoughts once I get back home.

Edit: There were some interesting ideas, but the lack of a stable point of view or any real dramatic tension let it down. I got more of a kick out of Clark hiding in an alleyway so nobody sees his ruined outfit than I did from the potential end of the world. It didn't have much of a story structure, and without any tangible goals or antagonists to define it, things were held together by a vague idea of maybe getting those people possibly home perhaps.

I did really enjoy the parts with Cyrus.

3/5; nothing special, but definitely mildly enjoyable light reading.

Last edited: May 8, 2012
  7. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

The author seems to be trying too hard to push the message of just how shitty this world is. While the writing is technically sound, and watching Clark as he goes about trying to puzzle out the specific changes that've occurred is entertaining, I can't seem to escape the feeling that this was written to make a point rather than to tell a story.

Edit: 4/5

8. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I like that the author uses a Clark Kent from a different AU background than the comic book Superman, but feel that he hopped on board with doning the costume a little too quickly...

As the story progressed I lost interest in the last 5-7 chapters & found myself skimming. Not enough conflict, or not enough of an 'adventure' dealing with the dimensional storms. Still 4/5 from me, was entertaining enough.

9. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I read it as an unspecific Superman story (didn't look at its category) only to realize at the very end with the appearance of one specific character that it's Lois and Clark fic.

Anyway, it's a little heavy-handled with some themes, but I still liked it. I'd rate it 4/5.

10. Moeed

Moeed Third Year

Oh my God what sheer awesomeness, made me feel what clark was feeling every moment. Read it all in one go last night, what a fantastic story my man, bravo and a 5/5.

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm about 40 chapters in and so far I can safely say that this is the best (read only) Superman fic I've ever read. I've only ever watched a couple of Lois and Clark episodes when I was younger, but since this is basically set in a slight-off real world I could get by easily enough. Don't know who Lana is but she sounds like a bitch.

As for the story, it's good. I'm only just getting to the part where people in general start reacting to him, so I'll leave off on whether it deserves more than the 4/5 I'm looking at now.

12. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I've never seen anything to do with superman, and I only have an incredibly vague knowledge from a fanfic I read ages ago. How lost would I be reading this?

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

If you just know who Superman is, then you will not be lost too much, if at all.

14. Robo Jesus

Robo Jesus High Inquisitor

Do you know who Superman is? Do you know anything about Real Life Earth and/or the events that have gone on in the past few years?

That's pretty much the only things you'll need to know when getting into this story. Everything else is self-explanatory, even the ending with its references to the wider DC universe and whatnot.

15. Zerg_Lurker

Zerg_Lurker Headmaster DLP Supporter

This is a surprisingly good story, even though it's dated. It gets preachy, especially during the conversation in which they discuss how Superman can help even more people and when bringing up the issues of global warming.

The ending is a bit contrived but ultimately satisfying and enjoyable. It's heavily plot driven, which doesn't make for the very best storytelling. The characters aren't completely flat, which is surprising given that I perceive Superman as a flawless, one-dimensional character, but they aren't fully developed either.

It's rife with some very blatant references to the Superman mythos that don't serve any purpose other than to tell you the author is a pretty big fan.

All told, Veritas is a good story worth reading once but it doesn't come close to being great.

4/5

16. The DarIm

The DarIm Groundskeeper

I read it a long time ago, back when it was still a work in progress. It's a pretty good story, though the initial 9/11 angst does seem a bit much, but then I'm not an American, and hence never really cared about the whole thing.

Anyways, I think this story does a superb job of portraying some of the difficulties a super-hero would face in the real world.

4/5

And now I'm off to read it again.

17. Infidel

Infidel Auror

This is a fantastic story. I very much enjoyed reading of a Superman with a different history than the long, convoluted one from the comics. The epilogue was a bore though.

Overall, 4/5.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I got about 2/3s of the way through this before just saying fuck it, and giving up in boredom.

You can see anything coming in this story a mile away, it's written about as blandly as possible and you feel no attachment to the characters what so ever. It's readable... but I wouldn't want to read it.

Just... just no. 2/5.