1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Wanderer's Diary by Three Rejects- T- Fallout 3

Discussion in 'Games' started by Shezza, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Title: Wanderer's Diary
    Author: Three Rejects
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humour/Adventure
    Fandom: Fallout 3
    Pairings: None
    Chapters: 34
    Words: 162,168
    Updated: August 3, 2013
    Published: March 23, 2013

Summary: Most know of the so-called messiah of the Capital Wasteland, the man known only as the Lone Wanderer. To the righteous, he is a saviour. To the evil, he is a nightmare made manifest. And to those who actually know what he's like as a person, he's a dangerous nutjob with some serious psychological issues

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9128055/1/Wanderer-s-Diary

Just thought I'd pop this up. It's a 150k novella of Fallout 3. I came across it a while ago and I spent much of the weekend reading it. It's a fun read, the Lone Wanderer has some problems but still comes off as a good enough guy, and there are consistent updates.

I'm mostly posting because despite the fact that it's not a bad fic, there's only 47 reviews. That's one review for every three thousand words. Not even one review per chapter. That, I think, is a crime.

I'd give it a 4/5. Give it a shot.

*Just so it's been said, you obviously need to have played the game to understand the story*

Checked by Minion, February 11, 2017

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Thaumologist

Thaumologist Fifth Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Your link is messed up, pointing to a URL of the summary.

I'll go check it out though. Been a while since I read decent FO stuff.

EDIT AFTER READING

Certainly an interesting story, although it does feel like it's just a retelling of his playthrough, perhaps embellished a little.

Writing is generally good the whole way through, and I only noticed two or three typos through the whole thing, even if I wasn't searching for them. A lot of references, and very little explanation, mean if you aren't familiar with the game you'll have a much harder time reading it.

There's a mention of something in the most recent chapter that implies it is possibly in the same storyline as his Dr Who/Fallout crossover, but it was an offhand thing.

A few times there are inconsistencies in the writing, but again, nothing major. Also, a lot of odd stuff that either isn't explained, or I just didn't notice explanations for. That stops it getting the 5.

But it IS good, and definitely worth a read.

4/5

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  3. Panther

Panther Third Year

It's pretty good, especially considering the lack of good Fallout fanfiction. I had fun reading it and loved his adaption of the perk system (usually it is scrapped entirely). That said, I have mostly the same problems with it that I had with the game, in particular the Zeta DLC, but I liked the few bit of original plot. Didn't really like the last chapter though.

Really nice if you think about starting a new Fallout 3 run. 4/5

Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  4. DannyJ

DannyJ Muggle

Hello. Three Rejects here. Just joined this forum to thank you all for reviewing my story here, (my work hardly ever sees attention from outside of where it was posted), and to say that I'm glad you seemed to mostly enjoy it.

That said, I also hardly ever receive much in the way of criticism either, and the comments in this thread are so far the only ones I've had to actually point out problems with the story. I'm always looking to improve, and I hoped it wouldn't be too much to ask if the both of you who replied to the OP could expand on the points you raised a bit?

Specifically I mean the "inconsistencies in the writing," what it was that I should have explained more, and for Panther I'd like to know if there's any specifically wrong with that specific chapter I could have done better? I'm not expecting either of you to go into great detail or anything. I'd probably know what you mean if you just pointed it out to me. But it'd help me a lot if you could please explain those problems just a bit so I know what to look for in future.

Oh, and just thought I should also mention, Wanderer's Diary isn't actually based on any playthroughs that I did. The order of events and characterisation was planned out before according to what I thought would work best narratively. I never did a playthrough similar to what I wrote here.

I mean, who in their right mind would ever take the nuclear anomaly perk over almost perfect?

Again though, thanks. Really. Seeing this thread made my day.