1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Watch the Dresden Files online (SciFi Channel Australia)

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Mara, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Mara

Mara First Year

Not that the legality actually means much to anyone here. But being legal, it's not going to disappear on us, and if it doesn't work we can complain.

Click Here!

It's only the first two episodes so far, so I think they only come online after they've shown on the SciFi channel. (Mondays, 7.30pm)

I realise a lot of you have already seen the show, but for those of you that haven't (and can't be bothered finding and then downloading the, usually quite large files of, episodes), enjoy...

I'm not sure if it works if you live outside of Australia. (It could be like the Doctor Who Confidential, and you have to be from a certain country; unless you want to mess around with proxies.)

Now if only they would buy Blood Ties. (Fox8 keeps screwing with it, not showing it some weeks without warnings, because America's Next Top Bimbo is more important.)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It is Aus only, cannot watch it, even from NZ.

3. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

http://www.hulu.com/the-dresden-files

Full 12 episodes. Fast streaming, US only ATM, but since most of DLP is US, not a big deal.

For those outside the US, you can get a vpn (Hotshot shield is a good FREE option.) to watch hulu.

Also, just download the episodes, even on a slow connection it's like a night worth of torrenting. The quality makes it worth it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Its not worth watching anyway.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

It is totally worth watching. The actor for Dresden does an excellent job.

Yes the CG is poor but it's great to see Dresden come to life, so to speak.

Also there are tid bits of magic in there you don't see in the books. TV series adds more on the non-elemental magic in Dresden verse.

6. Antivash

BOB aint no mutha fuckin GHOST. MURPHY's first name is Karin, and she aint got no kid. AND DRESDEN DON'T DRIVE NO MUTHA FUCKEN JEEP, NIGGAH! AND WHAT THE HELL WAS UP WITH THAT FAGGOT ASS HOCKEY STICK!?

Creative liscense is all well and good when modifying a book for TV, but this just made idiotic changes for no fucking reason. I get why they changed Murphy's name, but there are other TV series' with RL names in them. But there was no reason to change the Blue Beetle or Bob.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Except it's not really Dresden we're watching come alive, it's some strange, stitched up monstrosity that terrorizes the townsfolk.

8. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

RAGE!

They couldn't fit him in the beetle, hence the jeep, and in one of the episodes he is fixing up the blue beetle. I imagine that if they had more episodes we would have seen the beetle.

Besides you know that the show had Butcher's blessing. Hell, he was in it himself. The hockey stick doesn't stand out as much as a staff - this is current day Chicago after all :p

Yeah Bob was way off, but since I watched the show first, I like him. They are just two different Bobs in my mind.

9. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why would he care about carrying around a staff in the middle of the city? He has a page in the yellow-pages.

10. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

Thanks for the link. I've signed up and started watching.

11. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

I like to think of the show as a AU of the books. It takes the character and puts him into the best possible plot lines they could manage on the low budget, short time line, and limited viewer knowledge of the books.

Some things needed to be changed for the show, the only thing I didn't like was the hockey stick. Ehh wtf? It would cost like what, $20 to go and get a LOTR copy of Gandolfs' staff?

12. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

It wasn't because of cost problems. It was because they figured a hockey stick would be less conspicuous in modern day Chicago then a regular staff.

13. Antivash

Invalid argument.

Quoting above.

Dresden is listed in the fucking YELLOW PAGES as "Wizard." He can go around Chicago in his Gandalf bling-bling. They already think he's nuts.

But you see what I'm getting at? They changed parts that didn't NEED to be changed for ignorant reasons.

The Beetle could have been done, they just didn't want to make the effort. Fold an up-sized beetle into the scene like they did with Frodo in LOTR. Bob could have easily been done.

I get not following the plot of the books for a different flow, but its those kind of things that annoyed me about the show. Only up side was Mai.

TV Mai > Creepy Book Granny Mai

14. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    The TV verse didn't bother me a whole lot, I can see why they made Bob the ghost thing, They wanted to give it a more human touch I guess. As for the hockey stick -_- and how is carrying a Rune carved hockey stick around town Not crazy? but other than that it was Meh at most, Not great but not Horrible either.

15. SunderBolt

SunderBolt Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I concur, but at the same time the series led me to the far superior books.

16. Knox

Knox The Last Remnant DLP Supporter

At the crossroad where the demon lies. Waiting to
    Hey, Doesn't Harry watch a movie on a laptop in the second or third episode? If so ....Wtf!?

17. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    TV Dresdenverse electronic interference only takes effect when it's relevant for plot advancement. As for the hockey stick, there's a difference between advertising under 'Wizards' and getting a semi-believing client. Another thing entirely to be wandering around the streets of Chicago with a full-sized staff, covered in carvings witnesses would likely as not say 'looked demonic'.

18. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He does it in the books, and he travels around with a long sword wielding, cape wearing Knight of the Cross to exorcise ghosts from busy hospitals, and he carries his assorted goodies of mayhem and destruction about with him.

So, if you look at it that way, just carrying around a carved wooden stick practically blending in! And if that's not enough, it's set in Chicago, which if it's anything like London will mean you can prance around everywhere in a saggy, pink tutu and most people won't look twice at you. AND (there's more!) he wears an ankle-length duster that is frequently described as looking just off the set of El Dorado.

Have I made my point enough yet?

19. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Which, while sounding good on paper would, debatably, look bad or worse stupid on Television. Thus the writers needed to use their creative license to make some budget-friendly changes that would draw in viewers while not scaring off fans. The hockey stick being the best example.

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, true. Though give me a couple of ours with a long stick and a carving knife and I could make something that would look passably like a rune-carved staff.