1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Week 16: Order of the Phoenix, Ch. 26 - 31

Discussion in 'Bookclub' started by BTT, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Harsh.

And people say he's tactless.

Wonder who that was.

That's pretty creative. Wonder who came up with that.

I think it's often forgotten that Legilimency is an actual spell that can be guarded against by Protego and the like.

Willy Widdershins is, it turns out, kind of a total twat.

Damn. Kingsley's one tricksy motherfucker.

Ginny you bint, this is your fault.

God, I love this moment.

I totally misremembered the bit about Snape's pensieve. I remember it as being an accident that Harry saw those memories, but instead he sought it out because he was curious.

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Wonder if that was Sectumsempra or a prototype. Also that could've probably killed James, goddamn.

No one, James. No one.

Arithmancy, eh? Not Ancient Runes?

Interesting. I knew of the NEWTs and the grades, but the character and aptitude tests are new to me. If anyone knows, how does that compare to what you need to become a police officer?

Considering people love to shit on Harry for not being better at school, he nonetheless seems to have his shit together in the grades department and is most of the way to being qualified enough to become an Auror already.

That day, Pomfrey ran out of burn salve.

It's interesting that, whenever it's discussed why Snape dislikes James, Quidditch is brought up. Did Snape have secret Quidditch ambitions?

Not knowing what a punt was, this is even funnier.
    (I have since then looked up what a punt is. Don't throw explanations at me, please.)

JKR is actually really good at humour.

"Ron is so jealous of Harry's gold!!1!"

Canon support for that nickname. No mention of 'Mione yet that I can recall.

One imagines her deafness is partially feigned.

Why would the countercharm for hiccoughs need to be referenced for Cheering Charms?

Hannah Abbott seems to be the Eloise Midgen of exams.

2. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Weren't you saying something about controlling your emotions and not wearing your heart on your sleeve, Sevvy?

I would feel sorry for how he got humiliated, if his future actions didn't prove that he totally deserved it.​

3. FlyingOctopus

FlyingOctopus Third Year

Doesn't he have a fierce rivalry with McGonagall for the Hogwarts Quidditch Cup in the Philosopher's Stone? Might be more evidence pointing that way.

4. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Chapter 26: Seen and Unforeseen

Come on, Ron. We all know that's not how Molly raised you.

You mean into the recipe? Or just leave the boils as a side affect that it's up to the user to sort? Hopefully the former.

Isn't there a staff stand where they all sit? If so, this is ridiculously petty of her.

This deserves to be up there with "It changes every day" and "There's no need to call me 'sir', Professor".

What do we think would have happened if she'd been a bit more stubborn? Locked her up? It's pretty obvious with hindsight that this is at least partly so that he can keep an eye on the source of the prophecy.

Chapter 27: The Centaur and the Sneak

That makes it sound like she's got extremely long eyelashes. Unless I'm either: over-estimating how thick a wand is (ooh-er, etc etc); misunderstanding the eyelash curling process; misunderstanding the image.

Nice, subtle highlighting of the Ministry's hypocrisy here.

Chapter 28: Snape's Worst Memory

At least?

Chapter 30: Grawp

Jesus, Harry. Something to remember for the next 'Ron's an asshole' thread - he never talks to Harry like that (Hermione a little, maybe).

Missed moment of awesome. Really wish we'd seen this.

Chapter 31: OWL's

Shame we don't see imaginative stuff like this in most fanfic, rather than tedious enhancement potions.

Why? They don't tell you what you've forgotten, just that you've forgotten something - can't see that being much use in an exam. You probably already know.

Why. For the love of God, why?

One of the best insights we get into the 'science' of magic, sparse as it is.

That's a positive! Should have got him extra marks...

In Umbridge's defence, she does think - not entirely unreasonably - that Hagrid has been setting magical beasts on her, albeit harmless ones, and that he has some connection to a self-admitted enemy of the Ministry. On the other hand, taking an Auror to sack a teacher is clearly, insanely unnecessary and corrupt.

Surely the exam being interrupted by a four-on-one duel with a half-giant, and a vicious, unprovoked attack on McGonagall merits an extension?

5. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I don't think Hagrid's problem was getting sacked (since he escaped anyway), I think Umbridge wanted to take him to Azkaban or questioning.

6. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

The single quotation that proves Hogwarts is almost a regular school. After all, where else would you learn things even remotely as purposeless?

7. Distaly

Distaly Fifth Year

Try to find that excuse in the necessary paperwork.

Can I just say how much this book drags on? I remember why I tought it one of the weaker ones. It feels like nothing happens for sites over sites. I think OotP is way too long for the stuff that happens in it. In Hogwarts there simply isnt enough going on to justify all those pages.