1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to DLP: A Newbie Userguide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zombie, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Hey guys, writing this as a general userguide for getting into the DLP forums at large. If you feel like something should be added to it, let me know and I’ll add it in. Ultimately I want to have the best resources and the best examples to showcase what DLP is and what DLP stands for.

I’ll break this up into sections, it will be rather link heavy. I’ll be starting with Rules.

Rules
    I’ve gone through the forums and found all the rules sections that I thought were important and a must read for prospective new users. Some are subject to revision because they’ve become a bit antiquated. I’ve included the old VB Site rules here for context as well. They might be dated, but they hold some important tips.

Rules That will Improve your QoL on the forum.
    • Admin’s Rule is Law
      • And subject to ‘in situ’ adjustment
    • Mod’s Rule is Law
      • Read above.
    • Don’t Necro a thread unless you feel like you have something to contribute. If the thread is a year older or more, you might be better off starting a new thread.
      • Keep in mind though that mods will merge them if they feel it's not warranted.
      • Don’t get butthurt when the only reply to your well crafted thread is someone else pointing out the thread already exist.
    • Here’s where I’d talk about having a thick skin, but if you can’t handle something, or feel like it was way out of line; there is a report link on each post. Use it.
    • Reiterate: Plagiarism is a no no. See General Site Rules from old forum for specifics.
    • Library threads are exempt from the necro rule, but do not think that a one word response is going to cover your ass. Have something to contribute. There are others that follow those threads and they’ll get mad if you’re just saying ‘I WANT MOAR’
    • Necro in WbA is more strict, imo, than anywhere else. Do not necro a WbA thread unless you’re giving some feedback and even then if its older than 30 days, you may wind up with a week’s time out (see: WBA Rules Revised). We don’t lock old story threads here because it's a common sense type thing. If the author hasn’t posted in it in a couple years, maybe send them a PM.
    • If you post anywhere on the forum and you include your opinion as a matter of fact, prepare yourself to defend it. If you backpedal, you’ll probably get called a name. Own your post.
    • Above all, we’re all here to have fun. So don’t take any one person too seriously.

Revised Rules
    Some of the rule threads listed above are pretty bloated, and not really relevant to current times. Thanks @theimmortalhp for condensing HP and Other WbA Rules and making them more streamlined. I feel like the highpoints are covered here, so if you don’t read the above link for WbA Rules, at least read this. (This is paraphrased from the sticky post. Its only been trimmed from 8 pages to 1)
    Community
    We’ve got an extensive community. We have interested in a multitude of fields and we’re a motley mix of gamers, academics, and working professional alike. I’ve went through and collected some posts/stickies in regards to the more social aspects of the site.
    • Scryer
      • Can’t find what you want in The Library? Use Scryer. Thanks @Lord Ravenclaw, you the best. <333
    • DLP Discord
      • A bit more on IRC. If you join, you need to actively engage members if you see them. We’ve got the sidebar sync going now, so you can see us when we’re active but keep in mind. DLP is made of various time zones and working shifts. Not all of us are online 24/7 despite our usernames appearing in the userlist.
      • Say hello, idle, watch the conversation. Don’t just make the assumption that we’re dead and not active.
    • Story Competition Forums
      • Chip in. Maybe you win and you get to select the next prompt (plus bragging rights). We’re trying to make this semi-regular. As compared to absolutely nothing. #showuswhatyougot
    • PYP Thread
      • Show us the face behind the username. Only if you want to. Not an obligation.
    • Bookclub
      • Have you recently started rereading the books? Well, join in to the ongoing discussion here. Or start your own reread with your own group.
    • TOMD: Tell Us About your Day
      • Here you can just bitch about your day, or your successes. Share it if you got it.
    • Gamer List: Steam and Console Usernames
      • You got games? Lets play.
    • The Burrow
      • A place to post about your adulting. Doesn’t have to be about food, but that’s currently all thats in there. Do you have a ‘how to’ for something domestic? Post about it. I’ve included some notable threads, including my own, which is Ask a Chef, where I give food advice.
    • Games Subforum
      • Drawception
        • Its all the craze right now. Join in and create a friend game.
      • Little Italy
        • Where people play Werewolf and shit. #notdead
    • Halt’s Writing Resource Thread
      • Join into the discussion here. Halt sets up a nice guideline, but you’re allowed to post things you think would help improve someone be a good author, or is relevant when entering the world of writing.
    • DLP C2 (FFN)
      • Yeah we have one.

Threads That Don’t Need a new Thread
    This is pretty broad here, so I’m just going to jumble a lot of them together. Basically, the links I’m going to include here are threads that don’t need a new thread and its preferred (required) that you keep the subject matter to that thread. I might have missed some, so if you feel it should be included, click my name --> @Zombie and Start a Conversation (PM me).

Repeat Threads
    Something that was requested to be added. If you feel strongly about X, then you might consider the following threads. Review them, and before posting a new thread, see if your point of discussion has already been picked up. This means don't start a thread if your topic exists without good reason. I might have missed some, so if you feel it should be included, click my name --> @Zombie and Start a Conversation (PM me).
    Improvement
    Here’s some general site improvement links. If you feel like you got something that will benefit the forums, post about it here. Or, contribute to already existing threads

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2018
  2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Good. However:

I've gone through...

DR
  3. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Otherwise pretty well constructed Zombie, good stuff.

4. Nevermind

Nevermind Headmaster

High Score:
    Yep, good stuff indeed. Certainly useful to new members and a helpful reminder for semi-new members like myself.

One suggestion – maybe include a reference to the Hall of Shame under the QoL section? I know there was quite a bit of talk on this in the MDLPGA thread, but for the time being it could still be useful as a definitive guide on what not to do in line with the general “admin/mod’s rule is law” stuff.

5. Zombie

Done.

6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

Also, since I know a lot of people who come to DLP over the years have tended to lurk for a long time before they post, I'd just like to say that you can probably be a bit less shy. I lurked on here for threeish years and I sure wish I had posted earlier than I did. If you're a lurker reading this thread, you're perfectly welcome to go on irc or post somewhere - just make sure that whatever you post has some thought behind it. Or effort at least, god knows half my posts are shitposts but they're substantial shitposts.

Or you can just post in real life or someplace that's much looser. Or insult Narf or Zeelthor, that doesn't require any effort at all.

7. DR

DR Secret Squirrel –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    @Zombie The Politics Rules link goes to the IRC instruction manual.

8. Zombie

Fixed.

Found another one. I linked discord twice. FML

If you see anything else please let me know.

9. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    Nothing in there about me being DLP's resident badass and heavy bruiser, but other than that it's a solid guide.

10. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

More like heavy boozer, amirite

11. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I laughed way too hard at that

12. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    How dare you!

...accurately portray my foibles.

13. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    @Zombie Overall, very well done. I wonder if we can put a button or link at the bottom of that thread that has to be clicked before the forum gets opened for them to post in. I'd think about posting them separately in subforums and put a link or button there to open up that subforum, but I like the idea of having it all in one thread, as well.
    Still, good work.

14. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not enough banarthellion.

15. Lungs

Lungs KT Loser ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sry for derail but, like, why is Arthellion not banned yet?

16. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not enough users online at the same time. A good hanging needs an audience.

17. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I thought the lynch mob would be enough tbh.

18. Thedanialkhalid

Thedanialkhalid Muggle

I am newbie and it's useful as I didn't know what I was getting in to.

19. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Both of these links return "you do not have permission to view this page" errors for me.

20. Zombie

Yeah, they've been archived. I'll need to update them.