1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What are your favorite complete fanfictions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pumpkinskittle, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Pumpkinskittle

Pumpkinskittle Squib

High Score:
    Title. I'm particularly fond of AUs, especially ones that point out what a moron Ron can be, like in Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality and Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived. Obviously not a requirement that Ron is considered a moron, haha.

2. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

You know, you can go into any section of the Library on DLP and, at the bottom of the page where it says 'Display Options', you can chose the [Complete] 'prefix' and sort out all the fics recommended by the DLP membership that are completed. Further sorting it by Thread Rating will give you the top rated fics for comparison.

Having said that, 'A Black Comedy' by nonjon is probably my favourite completed fic.

3. Pumpkinskittle

Pumpkinskittle Squib

High Score:
    I did not know that, thanks :) What is it about A Black Comedy that you enjoy? I have seen a lot of recommendations for that without much reasoning

4. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's one of the funniest fics in the fandom. The premise is that Harry and Sirius meet up on the other side of the veil, which happens to be an alternate dimension where Harry Potter died as a child. They become best buds, hilarious and badass at the same time. Features one of the best fight scenes I've seen in fanfiction and some gut punchingly funny lines.

5. Pumpkinskittle

Pumpkinskittle Squib

High Score:
    Thanks! I'll try it out. I read Oh God Not Again! (I believe is the title) with Harry going through the veil and going back to when he turned 11, on recommendation of a friend. Amusing, but the writing wasn't the best and it had quite a few grammatical errors.

6. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ABC for the humor and inventiveness (but mostly humor). It's in the Top 5 fics in the HP fandom regardless of what you read and liked. ABC is objectively awesome. It's like a law of the universe. Light travels at lightspeed, ABC rocks.

Second place goes to Renegade Cause. It wouldn't if we were just talking favorite fics, but for finished works, RC it is. Regardless, it's in my personal Top 5. Silens heaped tons of cool ideas into it and while it drags on at times, it's the granddaddy of OotP AUs (even if it wasn't the first, it's that good).

Speak Softly Love (companion piece to the above) is good too.

And I can't not mention TLIL, jbern's HP fanfic opus magnum. Opinions on it are more divided than ABC, but it cracked me up so much that I can't not remember it fondly.

I also like Evil Be Thou My Good. There's just nothing else like it. Not a great fan of the sequel though.

Those are off the top of my head.

7. MoltenCheese

MoltenCheese Seventh Year

I particularly enjoy stories with good interactions between Harry and Dumbledore, two of my favorite characters. Some of my favorite AU stories would be By the Divining Light (and its sequel), The Other Side of the Coin, which has an awesome Tom Riddle as well, The Prisoner's Cipher, and Dagger and Rose.

I also really enjoyed What Lies Beneath by Master Slytherin, an awesome psychological thriller, and The Strage Disappearance of SallyAnne Perks, a good mystery piece. Stages of Hope is well-written too, although you might not enjoy it as much if you don't tolerate Drama and some angst.

My favorite oneshot is Geminio by Portus. It's 16k strong and a badass!Moody fic with lots of pure awesomeness and a... you'll see what I mean.

8. Darth V

Darth V First Year DLP Supporter

My first choice would be A Stranger in an Unholy Land, but since the trilogy is not, and probably won't ever be, finished...

Well, I'd have to say Jeconais's Hope and Jbern's The Lie I've Lived, but I have to confess nostalgia has a big part on them being my choices. I started reading both of them before they were complete, so I spent a good part of my fanfiction reader life reading them and expecting the next chapter. Does anyone here remember Hope's epilogue? Thank God Jeconais took it out.

Apart from them, though? I remember The Dementor's Stigma being fucking fantastic. Ressurexit as well. ABC. Etc...

9. ginevrabamf

ginevrabamf First Year

I'm a huge fan of Ginny Weasley (as you can probably tell from my username) so I particularly enjoy stories that flesh out her character more than the books did. There is definitely more to her character than what the books show, especially considering her experience in the Chamber of Secrets as well as her year with Neville and Luna fighting the Carrows.

Thus, Ginny Weasley and the Half Blood Prince by RRFang and Not From Others by FloreatCastellum (recently finished) are two of my favourite fics.

10. commander217

commander217 Disappeared

High Score:
    I'm a big fan of unatoned and a cadmean victory Most of the time I like a more powerful questionable harry but not an outright bad one. (sorry I didn't see completed.)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  11. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

The OP is looking for completed fics. Last time I checked "Forging the Sword" and "Nightmares of Futures Past" weren't completed, which leads me to doubt your other recs.

Also April Fools day is over - please find your CAPSLOCK key post haste.

"A Study in Magic" by Vixit is complete, but it's a crossover with Sherlock Holmes. There's another "A Study in Magic" that crosses over with BBC Sherlock, but iirc it wasn't as good even if it's also complete.

"Backward with Purpose" is complete, but all the sequels are not. The first story stands well enough on its own, however.

Everything else I'd recommend has been mentioned. However if you don't mind a bit of crackiness, there's "Fantastic Elves and Where to Find Them" and some of the oneshots by The Carnivorous Muffin.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  12. Oru24

Oru24 Squib

High Score:
    Personally my favorite is Delenda Est, mostly cause its the best harry/bellatrix fanfic i've found and i'm a bit of a bella fanboy.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  14. bobodoll131

bobodoll131 First Year

High Score:
    Like some of the above posters, huge fan of A Black Comedy. It's the only completed pure HP fanfic (non-crossover) that I've ever finished.

15. MrGhostface333

MrGhostface333 Squib

High Score:
    I recommend a fic called, "The strange disappearance of Sally Anne Perks", it's in the mystery/suspense genre and I think it was well-written and a really unique fic idea, rather than the usuals.

16. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Denarian Trilogy

17. zgweak

zgweak Squib

High Score:
    A Black Comedy, Timely error, the lie I've lived.

18. Tamerlein

Tamerlein Squib

High Score:
    A couple of my favourites are Enochian Prophecies and A Cadmean Victory, written by Kalfu and DarknessEnthroned, respectively.

19. Thanatos103

Thanatos103 Squib

High Score:
    I find the Denarian Trilogy to be a very entertaining read, along with "Demon's Feign, Merlin's Pain", which I hope I didn't horribly misremember the title of.

20. nh253807

nh253807 Muggle

High Score:
    Like most above I would also recommend ABC. Its writing is actually funny and doesn't use awful sitcom one-liners that some authors think are humorous. The plot of it is satisfying as well, as the story can't stand on humor alone.

Stages of Hope is another pretty good FF that I just recently found. It follows a similar AU to ABC where you get to meet old characters in a different dimension. IMO these are the best AU as they allow the author to take advantage of Rowling's great world building but with the author's own twist.