1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Crossovers do people like

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by froper98, Apr 6, 2017.

1. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    i would like to know what series do people like to cross the Harry Potter Universe with and what ideas would you have if you were to write a crossover.

My idea would be a Harry Potter/Trinity Seven crossover with Harry being raised at Biblica Academy after being found at the centre of a breakdown Phenominom. Being raised there Harry gets sent letter to Hogwarts but's declines and continues at Biblica academy til 4th year( Hogwarts), where his name is placed in the goblet of fire forcing him to compete.

2. H_A_Greene

H_A_Greene Unspeakable –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Twilight, naturally. Nothing but Edward/Harry pairings from here to the horizon. Do try to keep up with the trends.

3. Tempest

Tempest Third Year

High Score:
    This trope became one of my least favorites after I read many bad examples of this idea. Most authors ignore Harry's pre-4th Hogwarts year or write Harry as a prodigy at his 'new' school/magic system. It just isn't me. This type of stories also don't show Harry as we know from the books. They present a cool, super-talented main character who relies on mostly the non-HP magic system.

If the crossover is being made with a universe that has magical elements in it, I prefer the divergence to be a big, obvious one. Like in 'Wand and Shield'. A better example would be 'The Shadow of Angmar', in which Harry still has magic inside him but is limited by LotR world's sources. That forces him to think outside of the box (his potion use is my favorite), which I enjoy the most about that story.

Game of Thrones has potential, as it is proven by the amazing story 'The Black Prince'. I do not know how many times I read the entire story.

I would love to see a well-written HP/DC crossover someday. There are some guilty pleasures I do read of course, but nothing on the same level as 'Wand and Shield'.

There is also the impossible HP/Naruto challenge. There were rare promising ones, but they got caught up presenting cringe-worthy cliches or went boring after a while. If anyone manages to combine these fandoms, it would be great.

4. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'd like to see more Old Kingdom crossovers. It works really well in Circular Reasoning.

5. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Besides the issue that Ocean raised, another thing I hate about this trope is that authors that use it almost always bash British magical society and Hogwarts. They harp on and on about how their magical system/society is superior.

Anyway, my favorite crossovers are HP/Dresden Files and HP/Marvel/DC. There's so many great HP/DF crossovers, but my all time favorites are the Denarian Trilogy and Magician. Both seamlessly combine the magic systems and it's made clear that neither is superior, just different. As for HP/Marvel/DC, the only good fit I've ever found is Wand and Shield. The crossover has so much potential, but it's a cesspool of Harems and OP bullshit.

6. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    I agree completely on the HP/Dresden Files. The different verses complement each other well imo. The only problem I've had with the crossover is the difference in perspectives. Dresden's first person lends itself to the snarky humor and detective feel of the series, but it makes it harder to show more than one point of view.

7. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Frankly, enough authors have trouble melding HPBooks with HPMovies to be entrusted with anything else.

Not really a fan of xovers, but occasionally read them if done well. HP/Dresden has a fair number, and as stated above seem to naturally mesh. I've never seen an HP/Buffy that wasn't a hot mess, in no small part because Buffy magic is broke in its own universe, let alone when crossovered. Rep's HTTYD/Frozen is good. HP or Dresden with Pokémon could be amazing if done right.

8. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

Garth Nix 's old Kingdom?

9. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think a lot of the trouble with Harry Potter and making a decent crossover is with the magic system in HP. The magic is incredibly versatile and has attacks that are essentially a one-hit-KO (the Killing Curse), but physically the people are normal humans. This leads to problems with most action anime shows because they tend to towards super humans with powers, not normal people with powers. So while theoretically Voldemort could kill someone like Madara from Naruto, he would never hit him because Madara is too fast. Conversely if Voldemort keeps using apparition everywhere Madara never would be able to hurt him. Being that anime makes up a large amount of FanFics and a disproportionately large amount of crossovers, it is hard to make a good story with largely incomparable power and fighting systems.

10. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I tried reading Dresden couldn't do it. I dig HP/Dresden though; some of my favorite stories are in that xover. In my debut in the foray of fanfiction, I remember discovering Stargate with a completely rubbish HP/Stargate fanfic; still like the idea of the xover, but I've never seen it done well. Star Wars/HP also have a few good stories.

11. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

I don't like crossovers at all since it's the HP universe that I like most about the series, and other universes just don't interest me as much. Also not a fan of most anime/vidya/comics franchises.

12. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I am massively disappoint. Usually when a franchise gets a new addition we see more xovers.

Wheres my new Mass Effect xovers :(

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

I'd like to see HP crossovers with Addams Family or Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

14. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Man I'd love to see a decent Addams Family crossover. Unfortunately all the ones I've read have the Addams Family and by extension Harry (he is undoubtedly adopted into the family) as overpowered who end up showing those bigoted British wizards the error of their ways.

15. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Potterverse and Addamsverse fit together extremely well.

It's a crime that very few, if any at all, good crossover fics of the two exist.

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    My favourite crossover series is by that author that crossed Pokémon with the Roman Legion. Think he called it Codex something?

17. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Well, now I'm curious.

18. TheTycat

TheTycat Third Year

High Score:
    Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. An original series, not fanfiction. The series came from the author mixing those two ideas. It doesn't actually use Pokemon or the Roman Republic/Empire. Instead it's a different world with Pokemon / Rome inspired stuff. I liked the books quite a bit.

19. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No, I don't think that's it. Maybe Codex was the second word, not the first? "Jim Butcher" sounds like an ffnet penname though, so weird it's not showing up there. Best guess is author took it down. Seratin, Halt - maybe see if a copy exists from A03 using wayback? Or TTH, maybe?

20. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Yeah, definitely the fakest of fake names.