1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Crossovers do people like

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by froper98, Apr 6, 2017.

1. IAmJustAnotherGuy

IAmJustAnotherGuy Seventh Year

I would like to see a Fate/HP crossover done right. I feel there's a lot of potential in mixing both universes.

2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Harry Potter with Mage: The Ascension, for no other reason than I'd like to see worlds collide.

I doubt anyone could actually do the meshing of the two settings justice.

3. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

OMG. This. Ascension is so much OP bullshit without being crushing in narratieve sense.

You can neatly slot Hp in to it without any problems and still do justice to both sides.

It has been something I have kicked in my mind for some time and the only reason I didin't do it is because I am such Technocracy fanboy. I couldn't write them as bad guys.

I mean yes they are bad guy morally speaking but since every empire on earth has done the same things ten times over already it just doesn't jive for me.

Still Idea has merit. Somebody should take it.

4. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Cthulhu Mythos done right - i.e. MC can't do shit to change the fate of the world and anykind of sucess is completly meaningless.

And I would love a HP crossed over with The X-Files - withouth it turning into comedy with Mulder being a thorn in the side of American Obliviators or the UFOs being wizard spaceships. Just some dark conspiracy, unnatural monsters and alien technology that scoffs at both muggle technology and magic.

Or combine both of the above and make a Harry Potter/Delta Green crossover.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

True. It would help explain why wizards and witches of HP actually secluded themselves from muggles on a global scale, i.e. avoiding Paradox.

Enlightened Science ain't free. The tree of reason and utopia gotta be littered with the blood of mages.

Void Engineers a best.

6. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Yep. Cthulu mythos just goes with everything. :)

7. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

I've always wanted an Everworld and Harry Potter crossover.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  8. froper98

froper98 Squib

High Score:
    Fate/HP has so much potential, yet no one has been able to do it justice.

9. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I honestly dunno about the potential of a Nasuverse/HP crossover. Sure, you can cross the two over, but consider that:

1. in general the settings' tones are just wildly different. Fate's a lot darker than HP ever was. If Harry survived a certain death curse in Fate the Clock Tower'd kidnap him for dissection to figure out the how and why if they could.
    2. The magic systems are almost diametrically opposed. Harry Potter wizards can do loads of shit that Fate magi can't. HP wizards don't have set amounts of magical energy they can use, for one. They can (especially in Cursed Child) time travel no problem, can create things from nothing... Fundamentally we've seen fairly few limits on HPverse magic, while Nasuverse magic has a lot more restrictions. Like not being able to share spells because then their Mystery and power lessens.
    3. that (partly because of that, partly because Fate is anime as fuck and a lot more about combat than HP ever really was) the powerlevels are kinda fucked.

10. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I've liked Crosswinds of Fate so far.

Sure, it's Zelretch who facilitates the cross, but it's more of a field trip/transfer student kind of thing for his apprentice and her companions. I've not noticed any bashing of either side and there are pros and cons of each style of magic.

Not really a fan of how Rider is antagonizing Harry with her Cho stalking, iirc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
  11. Scarat

Scarat Fourth Year

High Score:
    I think Harry Potter/RWBY crossovers can potentially be good as long as Harry remains in a support role. I really hate how people give him aura, physical buffs, and improve his magic capabilities on top of all that.

12. mistermisstep

mistermisstep First Year

High Score:
    I'd like to see more HP/The Dark Tower series. There are three fics on FFN that fit the bill and only 2/3 of them are good. More might come with the upcoming DT movie, but I'm not holding my breath. (I just really want more post-apocalyptic weird western goodness.)

13. Commander

Commander Squib

High Score:
    There are of course the large three fantasy fandoms: ASOIAF, LotR, Dresden. I like crossovers with those a lot and enough writers are interested in them that some high quality fics result. Then there is the SF stuff on the other hand, which is a bit iffy because magic and technology aren't very compatible. That means SW-crossovers with HP are the most feasable because of the "force" element - and indeed there are a lot of them, some even good and fun to read. I've also seen "Stargate" and "Battlestar Galactica" crossed with HP in a readable fashion, but that's it for SF in my opinion.

14. Sataniel

Sataniel High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I generally don't like dimension-travelling crossovers until one of the crossovered series feature dimension travelling, which is why it took many recommendations for me to even add Shadow of Angmar to my Plan to Read. Turned out I should've done it sooner.

So either merging of setting, transplanting characters from one setting to another or dimension travelling crossovers with stuff like KonoSuba.

Few ideas I thought would be cool.

Nasuverse/HP with a complete merge. Only one magic system, etc. and crazy politics as a result of having both Nasuverse and HP organisations functioning in Britain.

Zero no Tsukaima transplant with Hogwarts as an Albionian academy of magic. Taking place soon before and during Cromwell's rebellion.

Mahouka transplant would allow combining pretty cool Mahouka magic system with a not-terrible cast of Harry Potter.

HP x Sabrina (or rather Sabrinas considering that various versions are pretty different) x Bewitched x Maybe some other similar stuff.

I maintain that despite its shortcomings Matou Shinji series is good and worth reading. Especially due to how well universes are mixed.

15. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

I long for HP/Worm because:

-it's rarely done

-they magic/power systems are quite different and have different specialties. HP dominates with conceptual effects but Worm has much better Thinker powers which even it out. Lots of interesting conflict there.

16. fvital92

fvital92 Squib

High Score:
    HP/Game of Thrones, also HP/DC universe