1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What do you want to read?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, May 2, 2017.

1. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  2. Dano1o

Dano1o Squib

Mainly I think stories that are different. Not just a canon rehash with 1 or 2 changes that make MC badass. Also don't mind a bit of bashing now and again, it's good for the soul.

I generally hate stories with too much romance, slash and Canon pairings. Also I cannot abide by Snape mentoring Harry.

3. Methos

Methos High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

I'd like to read something that really gets into the war aspect of fighting Voldemort. Something where Harry chips in and isn't a general angst filled stereotype. Something that can explore the dark inner workings of fighting a guerilla-style war and how it'd affect a country.

What I DON'T wanna read? I like plots with good sections of romance - but I very much tend to stray away from full-blown romantic stories nowadays.

5. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's Renegade Cause by Silens Cursor.

And I'm a soulless shill, so I'll also say I wrote one of those. It's called Lesser Evils.

6. CaptainFlowers

CaptainFlowers Fourth Year DLP Supporter

My one condition when it comes to fanfiction is that it's finished - even when it's a series of stories.

I hate getting invested, falling in love with a piece of writing, and then to see it dropped. I loved Renegade Cause, but the sequel was dropped.

Though I rather enjoy the author's YouTube channel.

7. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Squib

Anything that properly embraces the more esoteric aspects of magic without losing the thematic element of magic in HP. Ideally with a decent plot alongside.

I did find https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2488754/1/A-Second-Chance-at-Life to be a good fic, and it did explore magic a bit deeper than most other fics, but it, unfortunately, suffered from some of the other thematic decisions made. It was one of the few fics I've seen where 'blood magic' was actually something to be cautious about though.

Plus, a super!Harry in a context where everyone else is also 'super' is just fun to read.

8. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you read By the Divining Light and its sequel?

9. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Squib

I haven't yet, though you just reminded me to look into them. I shelved them before as I usually look for something more novel length, but I didn't realise the sequel was over 50,000 words alone. That's my evening sorted, I suppose. Thanks!

10. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

It's the best story in the entire fandom imo, so it's definitely worth a look.

11. Sey

Sey Not Worth the Notice DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't say its the best, but if you like world building and high fantasy then this your story.

12. Thoughtless

Thoughtless Squib

Anything that features Harry attending a foreign school (Canon or not), for whatever reason, sounds right up my alley right now. Surprisingly enough, I can't really find many fics like it. I'd have assumed at least Durmstrang!Harry would be relatively common.

13. Faun

Faun Fourth Year

High Score:
    I would like to read something with a three way generational conflict between Dumbledore, Voldemort and Harry.
    A generation that grew up during and after GG' s war in Europe and is in awe of Dumbledore, believes his ideals and looking down on those who came after them for having an easier time.
    A generation that grew up in post GG's war era and saw hardship and poverty. Who believe in the promise of power and prosperity given by Voldemort. They hold some romanticised notion of wizardry before GG came and before muggle influence rose after the war.
    A generation of those who grew up after Voldemort's first fall. They are young and idealist who blame the generations before them for all the problems in the magical world. They rally around Harry, but unlike the other two doesn't have strong ideological roots and a more pragmatic in their worldview, but idealistic in their associations.
    Dumbledore, Voldemort and Harry don't do everything on their own and most often than not do not have complete control of the situation. They have their agendas but so do people who follow and invoke their name. Some characters jump the generational divide and act on different motivations.

14. TheLazyReader

TheLazyReader Groundskeeper

I want to see you taking risks. Going for unpopular themes and pairings. Going for things that make people say "wow that's crazy... but kinda awesome." Everything can be good if written well, so why don't take some risk with more originals ideas? Challenge yourself.

15. TallDarkStranger

TallDarkStranger Fourth Year

High Score:
    instaquit? Forced pairing that isn't organic (Lesser Evils is a great example of how to do this well).
    Most popular? Harry who embraces magic, who experiments with it, who pushes the boundaries of magiv itself (for a guy who entered a world with fucking magic he didnt give a rats ass half the time).

What I'm really looking for: Big Bad AD is the final boss. If he's in cahoots with LV, even better. I'd llove to read one where HP spends most of his time chasing after LV only to keep getting a feeling of 'hang on, he can't be ocrhestrating this on his own' and a nagging suspicion that someone on his side isn't being honest. And AD doesn't give a fuck about HP because he's got way bigger fish to fry.
    Esp if that reveal isn't done for the longest possible time.

16. Hulkbuster

Hulkbuster Muggle

Above all else: Established romance and how it handles crisis. My ideal fic pretty much has the main pairing become a couple in chapter one, and then the drama comes from how they handle whatever curve balls the universe throws at them.

Aside from that, I want everyone to be super competent and super powerful. When the main character is weak or has a crisis of confidence every 20 minutes, I lose interest. Much rather read about someone powerful while scaling the problems accordingly.

To fight the oncoming darkness is as close to my ideal as anyone has ever come.