1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What don't you like about canon?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by warner, May 15, 2017.

1. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Huh, and? It doesn't state anything along the lines of 'impossibility' of brewing the potion; something I stated.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not impossible, just highly improbable. It takes more than a good grasp of potions to brew - Draco had 'a good grasp' but he wouldn't have been capable. The only people at Hogwarts during DH capable of brewing Felix were Snape and Slughorn, and they both had more pressing matters on their minds.

3. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Which is what I stated that there could be a 'probability' of this being the case. Let it be a slim one. Draco had a good grasp? He was mostly shown to struggle in potion classes. I would say that Hermoine had a good grasp of potions. Draco had a decent one.

4. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    You said it could be created by "anyone" or "anyone with a good grasp of potions". I responded with a source stating that this wasn't the case.

5. Severus

Severus Sent Back to India

High Score:
    That Severus never got a lover. Would have been nice if had a happy ending. I think he deserved to marry hotness like Fleur Dleacour or Daphne after all the shit he faced.

6. Blinker

Blinker Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Are you someone's second, joke, account?

Not that you'd admit it, but you don't have the opinions of a plausible human being.

7. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I dunno, I could buy Snape being a creepy pedophile who wants to molest underage girls.

8. cooladoola

cooladoola Second Year

High Score:
    Mate, it doesn't state it can't be created by people with 'good' grasp of potions. Now, either your gradations of 'good' happen to be Draco or I have a higher bar.

Really, this discussion is going nowhere.

Well, Hermione and Snape happens to be one of the most popular FF pairings. Can you really blame him?

P.s: Wait, he got banned? That was fast!

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  9. TheWiseTomato

High Score:
    Six month process - disastrous to get wrong. I'd say you have to be a bit more than 'good' to brew it. And if you want to quibble on Malfoy's skill in potions, he was in the NEWT class, which means he got either an EE or an O on his OWL.

Ha, stick around and you'll see some real pointless discussions. This isn't even close.

10. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    Lol what do we know about Daphne in canon other than as a name in Harry's year? Guess projection is king here. Severus would never want someone else by the way given his feelings for Lily.

On another note, I have to say Felix Felicis is a rather lame plot device. Fortunately it wasn't made out to be a silver bullet that can literally solve everything like others said. However, there was little excuse for Harry to not at least ask help to make more and store them for future use. Yes, he did think about it after he first used it in chapter 24 and found out it took six months (and it was disastrous to get wrong) but he should have thought about it much earlier. Even when they did the recipe is very difficult, they should have at least tried to make it given how valuable it is.

I think this is a problem with HBP in general that the students just seemed to stay so passive in the face of the open war against Voldemort being waged outside the school. Why does Harry spend so more time brooding about Ginny and romance in general and even thought about wasting his lucky potion on Ginny :facepalm when there's a murderous dark wizard outside?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  11. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

There was little excuse for EVERYONE, especially Voldemort, to not at least use that when they were about to do important things. Like, for example, trying to kill the one seemingly fated to destroy you.
    Felix Felicis, Pensieves, Occlumency/Legilimency. Three of the least thought-through concepts of the series.

12. TRH

TRH Groundskeeper

Pensieves don't break nearly as much if you assume that just like the Deluminator, Dumbledore has the only one and others won't accept evidence from a device they're not familiar with. Despite this, I've yet to see a story that runs with that. The Imperius Curse, on the other hand, seems quite overpowered.

13. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    I am assuming that Voldemort and his Death Eaters were planning to take over the Ministry as played out in DH and so most of their energy that year was focused to achieving that goal which meant that Harry was able to live in relative peace for a while. I think Voldemort might have realised that in order to kill Harry, Dumbledore has to go first and he couldn't do very much to Harry if Dumbledore was still around at Hogwarts.

It was said that Voldemort stopped using Legiliemncy against Harry because he could not endure penetrating the mind of someone who is supposedly full of love. It may not be a perfectly plausible explanation, but at least it's there.

14. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

?
    What are you referring to? Legilimency/Occlumency isn't thought through because no one except Voldemort, Dumbledore and Snape seems to know it despite it being such a powerful and useful thing, especially in politics. They should be commonly known and used OR explicitly forbidden, and there's no hint of that in the books.

15. Pandelion

Pandelion Squib

High Score:
    Oh my god, you have no idea how log i've been waiting to get all this off my chest.

1. Hermione: she just Won't. Shut. Up. She spends all seven books nagging Harry and Ron and showing off how much more than everyone else she knows. I can't stand people like her in real life, if your friends don't feel like studying or doing their homework, then that's their problem, you can't force them. I also find those people who obsess over grades to be unbearable and the way that she keeps going on and on and on about what she supossedly did wrong on her exams while waiting for her grades is just obnoxious. Please don't get me started on SPEW.

2. Ron: He is the complete opposite of Hermione but at the same time, he is just as annoying. He never wants to do ANYTHING, all he does is whine whine whine anytime he has to move for anything that isn't chess, food or quidditch, he is the definition of useless, and the way that he is so jealous of orphan, abused Harry who is also the target of assasination attempts every freaking year is just sickening. If i was Harry I would have sent him packing on fourth year when he turned against him.

3. Harry: I have to be clear here, I don't really dislike harrys character, i would have been perfectly fine with him... if he wasn't the protagonist. I just dislike the fact that he is so utterly normal. I'm not saying that he should have been a gary stu, no need to jump to the other side of the spectrum, but i like my protagonists to have something that makes them special, an special ability or maybe an instinctual grasp of magic or at least an abnormaly large magical power (we get hints that Harry is quite powerful but it seems a bit inconsistent from book to book), the only thing that Harry seems to have on his side is that he was seemingly born with Felix Felicis instead of blood, or at least that's the only explanation i've been able to come up with for his unbelivable lucky streak that lasts through all seven books.

4. Voldemort: I honestly feel like I don't even need to explain this one. He is one of the most cliche villains i've ever seen, he does bad things because he is a DARK LORD and EVIL and he is completely and totally irrational on his actions, it feels at times like all the war waged by him was just one huge temper tantrum because he didn't get a hug when he was little. What happened to the "brilliant" student that both Dumbledore and Slughorn remember? He is supposed to be a genius, not a psychopath ruled but emotion who can't reason, he is so caught up in his own awsomeness that he seems incapable of counting anyone as a threat. Finally, his death was utterly anticlimatic, I wanted a huge duel and, i know that Harry could have never realistically beat him, but at least something else, something better.

There are a bunch of other thing i want to complain about, like the lack of any explanations regarding magic, but I've gone on long enough so I'll leave it at this for now.

16. Dicra

Dicra Groundskeeper

Are you doing that on purpose? :D There've been so many Ron discussions on this forum in the past few weeks and after three days, there's always some guy who just again posts the same shit that some members have already tirelessly argued against.

17. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

To be fair, Harry has just as much bad luck as good luck. The list of things that got accidentally wrong in his life is huge.

Also, I don't think he was "normal" at all. Perhaps you think that because you're so used to his character, but you know, most teens don't sneak around trying to solve mysteries in school.

I have to join Dicra in his opinions about overpowered plot devices - the series was just choke full of them, and it's one of the reasons why there exists such a large number of fics where everything is solved easily simply because of Veritaserum/magical oaths/Imperius/Pensieves/time-travel/house-elves. This is also expressed in the way Rowling makes characters like Dumbledore or Voldemort look like gods, and then doesn't have them use their actual supposed power (giving rise to Dumbledore bashing), because she wants Harry to solve things instead of Dumbledore, and for Harry to be able to fight Voldemort.:facepalm

18. Jack of theives

Jack of theives Squib

High Score:
    I hated the general vagueness about how magic worked in the story and also the fact that harry didn't show much enthusiasm in studying magic even after being put in life threatening situations several times

19. torrent56

torrent56 Second Year

High Score:
    I was explaining why I think Voldemort did not use Legilimency against Harry in HBP before is that clear?

As to why Legilimency/Occlumency wasn't used more often, you didn't really make it clear you asked that question before so I can't answer it.

Well we do know that Bellatrix tried to teach Draco Malfoy how to use Legilimency/Occlumency as well so that's more than three people. Otherwise, I can only presume it's a pretty hard concept to master and Dumbledore, Voldemort and Snape are all very powerful wizards. I guess if lots of people working at the Ministry cannot produce a decent shield charm (as per the twins' claim in HBP), there really is no chance they can master something as complex as Occlumency.

I honestly think this concept is thought through better than some of the other concepts like wandlore for example.

Pandelion Just because you found a trait of someone annoying does not mean that's true. The same goes for when you claim a character is useless or whatever, it doesn't mean you're right especially when it's contradicted by canon as I can point to tonnes of examples that contradict what you said. The part where you said Harry should dump Ron or Hermione forced her friends to do homework ... you really have no clue what canon said then?

Voldemort - Lol Voldemort started the war because he wanted to rule the wizard world and he was a genius because he found out about the Horcruxes and actively procured artifacts from different founders to make and use them to make himself immortal, something nobody has ever done before, 'nuff said.

I second this.

20. Lexx

Lexx Squib

High Score:
    I hated the epilogue because it just seemed too "Happily Ever After," and even though the characters do deserve that, it just seemed too cookie cutter and clean.

The Ginny/Harry pairing because I hate the idea of Ginny dreaming of marrying Harry as a little girl and actually marrying him when she's an adult, it all still seems like marrying a symbol instead of a person. I just don't really like them as a pairing.

The Ron/Hermione pairing because...how? Five years since I finished the books and I still imagine this couple divorcing and fucking up the little family they have, not because I want that to happen but because, for me, that's just what their dynamic feels like it would lead to.

I also feel like Harry, despite the fact that he was sorted into Gryffindor, tried so hard to not have any Slytherin traits like ambition or cunning. I had always expected him to display those a little (and maybe he did and my memory is just failing me) because Slytherin was the first house that the Sorting Hat suggested. I wasn't expecting him to be a snake in the lion's den but I was expecting a little something more than what was in canon.