1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP What Fates Impose by Frea O'Scanlin - T - Chuck

Discussion in 'Television and Movies' started by Celestin, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Title: What Fates Impose
    Author: Frea O'Scanlin
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Adventure
    Fandom: Chuck
    Pairings: Chuck/Sarah
    Summary: Joining the CIA wasn't anything like Chuck Bartowski hoped—five years in a bunker just sucks. When Bryce Larkin sends him the Intersect, it's up to Chuck and Bryce's ex-partner Sarah to deal with the fallout of Bryce's betrayal and save the day.
    Link: FFN

I was almost sure that this fic was posted already, but searching didn't show any thread for it. In my opinion this is the best story in Chuck's fandom. For one I love that we have pre-2.0 Chuck here, because this was then the series was the best in my opinion. Also, I find his relationship with Sarah handled better than in season 3 and up.

Now, I was looking for this fic, because the last chapter (54) had a brilliant twist that was a long time coming. It's a very interesting revelation that change much about what we know about Chuck, yet doesn't change him as a character.

Anyway, 5/5 from me.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I agree with everything you've said here. This story is excellent, and by far the best that I have read in the Chuck fandom.

Definite 5/5 from me.

3. magglez

magglez First Year

I feel like it's a little too slow paced. I mean, it's at 55 chapters and it hasn't been a year yet. Besides that I love this story. IMHO the best in the fandom.

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I also think it's worth mentioning that you need very little understanding of the Chuck universe in order to read this fic. It actually starts before the TV series does, and progresses from there.

Also, the last few chapters have really turned up the pace I reckon. Definitely a surprise, didn't expect the fic to head in this direction. Definitely a good surprise as well.

5. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

I've never watched Chuck, but this is coming with high praise. Loved the hell out of Fallout-Equestria, and am looking beyond my normal fandoms at the moment. May pick this up.

Would it be a good idea to have the wiki handy, or at least google?

6. Inert

Inert Headmaster

Great fic, and one that I've been following for a couple of months now. Quality is consistently high with the writing and the characters are very true to their canon roots. Humor is maintained well, without it affecting the mostly serious atmosphere that the story presents. The romance is fantastic, probably because, unlike in almost every other Chuck fic out there, it isn't the sole focus of the story with missions and the like interspersed as filler.

Easily the best in the fandom.

I'd definitely recommend it. Most of the basics of Chuck canon that need to be understood are pretty well flushed out, if I'm remembering correctly. But background info is always useful and can clear up any confusion from the first few chapters and let you know how some characters are supposed to behave.

I've always found it tough to get into a fandom without knowing much about canon, and having a source of background will probably help you appreciate just how good this fic is.

7. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

^That is generally my problem, too. However, I've mined pretty well the ones I know, and branching out I'm discovering a great deal of quality stuff. Kind of like looking for gold after your own mine looks pretty much mined.

So, when time permits, I'm going to check this one out. I've got another I need to read first.

8. Celestin

I definitely need to reread this fic. Something pointed out by one of reviewers on ffn about chapter 55:

The phrase used on Chuck by Carver to sedate him: "I think I'll go to the fair this May", was also used by Sarah in chapter 33 titled Just Say The Word, Trouble. Say the word, indeed.

I love when authors think that much ahead and drop little clues along the way.

9. magglez

magglez First Year

I just went back and read chapter 33, and you're right. It's the little things like that which make this fic so :awesome!

10. Crucipated

Crucipated Squib

First off, author has finally started the fifth part; posted the 'prologue' to it yesterday (aka, ch. 56). Ending A/N says the first full chapter of Part V will be out next week.

'Fates' is no doubt a 5/5; I'd actually rate it a 6/5, if was possible. Its everything a very good fic - let alone in the "Chuck" fandom - takes to be very good. It has plot, action/drama, smallish dabs of romance, dabs of (actually funny) comedy. Each and every chapter makes it very easy to want to keep reading, or begin the wait for the next new update.

Agreed above about all the 'little things' that make this story really stand out. Like the call-backs to words, phrases, or names/places that didn't seem all that important at an earlier time, but leaves you going "oh, that makes sense now" when it comes up again later.

If there is one small critique I would make about the current state of the story as it stands now; I'd have to agree somewhat with a reviewer of the newest update when they say the C/S 'romance' would be hard to buy after the events between the end of ch. 53 and start of 56. I have faith that the author will work their usual magic and make it believable when they bring it back, but as of now, I don't see it really working until the close to the very end, ie: gonna take time and effort (on Sarah's part) to get Chuck's trust and faith back in her. If the romance is introduced again too soon, might derail the incredible amount of believability that the author has built up for the first 4/5ths of the universe.

11. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

It's been said that it was Pre Chuck 2.0 but there has been over 50 chapters posted, and I'm wondering if Chuck gets any sort of physical training/Interesect uploading? The idea of Chuck constantly having to be rescued or "talk" his way out of every single situation is boring.

It was said that he only finished half his training but a good balance between ass kicking and using his brains would spur me to read more of the this fic.

12. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

Chuck has his normal Intersect, and does physical training, but not combat training.

13. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Ta. I'll read it, regardless, but I was looking forward to some combat scenes involving Chuck himself fighting.

14. Crucipated

Crucipated Squib

If you're willing to put in the time and effort to get to the end of the 4th part, you'll see Chuck fighting for himself a bit - even if it is kinda unintentional.

15. Crucipated

Crucipated Squib

Ok, so I must have missed something, somewhere, be it an A/N or a tweet or a blog post, or whatever.

Many reviewers for the past 3 or so chapters keep referring to an end point of somewhere between chapter 67 & 70. Did the author say she was only going to do no more than 70 chapters? Not saying it's totally impossible, but trying to imagine a worthy end to Fates between the end of the newest update (ch63) and ch70 - and I am finding it pretty improbable to imagine all the storylines wrapping up in a mere 7 chapters. Where things are, it feels like there should still be at least 15 chapters, hopefully 20+ in the works.

Of course, if she plans on going with having Orion removing the Intersect 1.0 and having the 2.0 business end with what happened at the end of 63, then it'd be somewhat probable to wrap it up by the 70th installment. But there's still the whole Fulcrum problem; that's really been pretty much completely sidelined since Faulkner showed up at the Bachelor Pad 1.0, at the end of ch53 - despite small mentions of it here and there to remind they are still lurking in the intermediate background.

If I did miss something by the author, and she really does plan to wrap the story up in another 7 chapters... we've got quite the ride coming up then, because there's at least 10 different (current) sub-plots; not to mention the 3 or 4 main parts of the overall arc(s), that need an adequate solution.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Owimbowé

Owimbowé Fourth Year

17. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Glad I read this. Felt the ending was a bit rushed, however. I really enjoyed the Chuck/Sarah interaction but I'm a bit conflicted as I'm not sure if the latter parts of the relationship was handled properly. Like I said, I felt the end chapters just seemed rushed.

I'd read a sequel in a heartbeat and would love to see them deal with the Lincoln/Interesect situation and, preferably, see Chuck either upgrade his Intersect or become more competent on his own as a fighter.

There's a lot of stories that could be dealt with, the Orion storyline, the Ring and his mother's disappearance (assuming they exist in this AU as they did in canon).

18. Celestin

Yes, the ending definitely seems rushed. I get that the author wanted to mainly resolve her own original plot without getting to the canon one, but it makes the story look unfinished in my opinion.

19. Jjf88

Jjf88 Auror

Yeah, I agree with that. Honestly, the author could have, and I say this having not written any real prose in about two years, easily have lead onto the Orion plot and further afield with a new spin due to the AU. The rush seriously drops the rating for me, I'd give it 4/5 for story, the only thing that makes me want to drop it even more is the annoyance at having the ending rushed.

I don't think it could have ended like canon anyways. The important parts are still there, Chuck and Sarah are together but she's got her memory. I feel the author either was lazy or wrote themselves into a corner.

20. Crucipated

Crucipated Squib

Except for the incredibly rushed ending of the last 3 chapters of Fates, the story as a whole is an instant classic.

But just like the show itself f*ed us over by leaving it at the point they did, the author did to us with this story. In the show, it was left up to the viewers how it ended in the off-screen future. In this story, its left up to the readers how it ended in the off-'page' future.

I'm sorry, maybe it makes me mentally sub-normal, but for a satisfying ending to a TV show that goes for a few seasons, or a story that has almost 500K words to it - there has to be a definitive ending to it. I have to know that where the characters are at the end is where they (most likely) should have ended up after all the problems and conflicts led them to that point.
    Fates was way worse than the actual show because other than the C/S drama and C/S/C partnership, EVERYTHING else got left up in the air; be it Fulcrum (Ring?), Orion (& Frost?), Intersect/Lincoln removal possible?, was there a 2.0 coming later?, where and what is Bryce up to lately?, etc etc.

I can understand - even though I hate it - an author wanting to end a story they've been working for over a couple years, but to leave everything up for interpretation like that is not my idea of a good ending, and needless to say, I don't like it.