1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What font do you use for Writing?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Jon, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Well one reason I care about it so much is that I literally cannot read fonts like Times New Roman for more than 5-10 minutes on a screen without having to look away blinking because I've gone cross eyed and now have double vision.

If you have decent/normal eyesight it might not matter as much. But one reason I love trying new fonts is because it really improves the entire experience for me in terms of eyeball comfort.

That doesn't explain why I want to use monospaced fonts when I am writing (not reading), but that's probably because it's easier for me to glance back and see things or something.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Careful now . . .

5. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The reason I like them is because when two sentences are exactly the same length, it's because they're exactly the same length. For instance:

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

These two look of roughly similar length in my browser, but there's actually nearly 10 characters difference. When using a monospace font, I can tell if a sentence is too long, or a paragraph is underdeveloped, entirely at a glance.

In addition, you end up with perfectly justified text columns without actually having to justify and and end up with the kerning issues that would generally cause with a normal font. This is entirely an aesthetic consideration, but one that makes me infinitely happier when writing.

Also, it means that you can lay out things like tables purely in text without any worry that things are going to shift about the place.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I prefer using Fantasque Sans Mono. Nothing beats it, imo - it manages to scratch an itch I never knew I had. I use it for anything I need to write in. My terminal, IRC client, writing app. If I can configure it to use this font, I do. CheddarTrek, you might like it with your love of mono fonts. You can download it for free, it's open source.

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Do you use the free version or the paid one?

8. Assassin4life

Assassin4life Squib

High Score:
    For academic purposes I use Times New Roman 12pt simply because nearly every paper calls for it. However for my own personal writings I exclusively use Constantia 11pt. I don't know why - I just enjoy the look of it.

9. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

I write in Notepad++.
    So, uh, Courier New, 10pt, I suppose.
    All the time. Without exception. I just add little symbols to indicate italics and whatnot.

I'm a creature of habits, and if they aren't bad, they're at least bizarre.

10. BTT

BTT Viol̀e͜n̛t͝ D̶e͡li͡g҉h̛t҉s̀ ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I use the free version. It's basically like Winrar in that it occasionally asks if you'd be so kind as to donate, but that happens once a day at best and it never actually forces you to do so.

11. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Yeah, no one pays for ST lol.

If I ever write, these days I do it in Vim with the Vimwiki plugin, and my terminal font is 16pt Monaco.

e: for an idea of what it looks like:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
  12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Sublime Text looks neat. Mostly because of how easy it is to use columns and manually adjust them. That's one thing that Word never got remotely right.

I like to have my outline in one column and what I'm writing in the other. With Word I usually have a second file open in notepad or something. Or if I'm drafting in yWriter then another page there, but while I like yWriter for a lot of things the actual writing experience is pretty meh.

So does Sublime Text have any primary competitors? I can always format and whatnot in Word later, but damn those columns are nice. Getting the font changed is a hassle though.

13. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

14. kinetique

kinetique Headmaster

You could set up emacs for it as well.

15. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I do all my writing in Google Docs, and don't change the font off Arial 11pt. This is probably a hold-over from when I adopted GDocs to give me the flexibility to write anywhere. I used to do a fair amount of writing on my tablet if I was away from home, and GDocs had the best workflow at the time. I think OneDrive and Word might be better now, but I can't be arsed migrating everything across.

To be honest, the typeface matters little to me, as long as it doesn't make my eyes bleed or anything. Google Docs also has a fairly nice flow for getting access to the various accented or circumflex'd characters I find myself needing frequently when writing my Lord of the Rings crossovers.