1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned What Shines Through by Franrico - T - Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Antivash, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: What Shines Through
    Author: Franrico
    Fandom: Star Wars [Old Republic Era]
    Genre: Tragedy/Romance
    Chapters: 9
    Words: 168,354
    Updated: February 6, 2011
    Published: July 29, 2009

Summary:
    Bastila a Sith Lord. Captured by Reven and mindwiped. However, it is not just a simple reversal of roles: everything in the back story and present has changed- and the very mission itself has been altered by these new events.

Pretty interesting concept. Rather than Revan and Malak, its the Exile and Bastila running the Sith... First time I've seen something like this. Pretty well done so far.

Not perfect, by any means, but definitely readable. Lots of huge paragraphs though. The second chapter alone is worth a full five out of five.

Currently 9 chapters, 174k+ words.

Four of Five.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

Do you need to be a die hard fan to understand everything or is it explained well?

3. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Nah. It would help to have played the games to understand why its so different, but not entirely necessary. Its more an original take of the stories, so you get the history of the AU as you go along.

4. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

It's explained well enough, and was done so in such a way that I kept interest, but I can honestly say that the only reason I was interested in reading it was because I knew what happened in the two KotOR games, and wanted to see this what-if scenario. You won't be left hung out to drag, by any means if you haven't played them, but it's not exceptional enough to make you want to play the games so you could see 'what really happened'.

That said, writing is solid, and the author manages to fill in many holes that would be left by swapping Revan and Bastila's positions as light and dark. It was actually really refreshing to see such a well thought out story, and the plot, while reminiscent of KotOR, remained flexible enough to be amusing.

Solid 4/5, library worthy but not exceptional enough for me to try to introduce the fandom to someone with this fic.