1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What was the first fanfiction you ever read?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by ab546122, Feb 7, 2010.

1. ab546122

ab546122 Backtraced

Mine was this really big trilogy written by some author named baba something but I forget the name of it. Can anyone help me find it again, thanks.

Also out of curiosity, I wonder how many of you will respond with slash or badly written stories. I guess I was really lucky to come across a great almost authentic story (I thought it was written by JKR) on limewire while I was looking for the fifth book.

This began a love affair with fan fiction that has still lasted strong, and has given me thousands of great hours of isolated fun, which in retrospect might have been a bad thing....

2. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

BajaB? Or maybe Barb's psychic serpent trilogy?

And my first story was Joe's Sword of the Hero. <3

3. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

4. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Lori Summer's Paradigm of Uncertainty trilogy.

5. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Ghost of Godric Gryffindor by GoG. Not entirely sure it was the first fanfic I ever read, but it was certainly the first one that made any sort of impression on me. I haven't been over it since I read it, but from what I remember of the plot, I wouldn't touch it now.

Also, a quick question: how do you convert a link into text, as KrazQ and Poytin did? I know it's probably a question that'll mark me out as an idiot, but heyho.

EDIT: Awesome, thanks Johnny.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  7. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Just type the text and select it, then use the Insert Link button found on top of the reply box. The button is a tiny blue globe.

Hope that helps.

8. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

"After the End"

9. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Same first HP fanfiction story for me. I recall reading it on phoenixsong.net and, as with the canon books, immediately reading it a second time upon finishing. A few weeks later, I'd gone through all the decently done stories on the site. Sib's was my favorite at the time, followed by Viridian's.

It was my Taure Phase-1 period and I remember it fondly.

10. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Lmao, I remember that fic. Massive self-insert where the OC solves pretty much every canon problem and undoes all the damage Voldemort and the Death Eaters caused. Everything from restoring the minds of people tortured by the cruciatus (which was hundreds of people according to the fic) to sending all of the dementors through a portal to Hell. He even went back in time and stopped Voldemort from killing Harry's parents (thereby ruining the timeline and making the world a worse place so he has to go back to before he goes back and stop him saving them - yeah, pretty convoluted).

In the end, Harry's role in Voldemort's downfall was relegated to killing Voldemort once Rick had essentially taken all of his powers.

All that said... it was like the second or third fic I read and I enjoyed it at the time. Joe was his beta which I think is how I found it.

And to insert a link into text, I prefer ti just type out [noparse]Text here[/noparse]

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, I only had the link because you posted it in my intro after I described it. Although you forgot to mention that the OC is resurrected by the Founders and given the power of pretty much every legendary wizard ever, before falling in love with Hermione, who is suddenly stunningly beautiful. He even helps Harry get together with Ginny. I don't think he had a magic trunk though. That would really have made the story.

12. oephyx

oephyx Headmaster DLP Supporter

Psychic Serpent for me, pretending to be a leaked OotP. It was awesome.

Same. Can't remember if I ever read Viridian's story though.

Reminds me of a series that started as a H/G soulbond fic (I liked it at the time, I think o_o), and then ended up with Hermione becoming a massive self-insert, killing off Voldemort and fucking the bootiful Severus Snape. Which is when I realised how bad it was.

So actually, Phase 1 was only good if you have a very selective memory.

13. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

For me it was something I downloaded via emule while I was looking for OotP in pdf.

Can't remember what was the title, but the author published his sequels on p2p network as well. One of them had some potion giving people animagus forms (Malfoy had a mix of a few mythical snakelike ones) and most of the story were duels during DADA, the other one had some battles using magical cards to summon creatures, attacks etc... it was utter crap, still it made me google fanfiction, where I found portkey, after that was ffn and finally DLP...

14. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I got into fanfiction by accident, while I was looking online for a way to resurrect Aeris in Final Fantasy VII. I stumbled upon "The Search for Aeris" by Frank Verderosa and that was that.

15. Lorelei of the Sea

Lorelei of the Sea Unspeakable

In seventh grade, a friend of mine wrote a fic and linked it to me. I don't remember the title, but it was a probably terrible Harry/Hermione on portkey.org. It took me months before I even found FFN.net.

16. JWH

JWH Unspeakable

Lol, first fanfiction I ever read was Naruto, a terrible self-insert, in French. Way to fail. And as far as I can remember, it's the only fic I read in French.
    Any of you non-natives still reading in your primary language ?

But then, I found ff.net, read "Never cut twice" and "Foxhound" in Naruto, then a ton of fail-fics I can't remember. Then I moved to HP with "Backwards Compatible". I never went through Taure Phase 1, going straight to phase 2.

EDIT : I reckon I was about 13-14 when I started.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Some Ranma fanfic around 1999. I had just gotten into anime and discovered fanfiction. This was before ff.net and it was the height of Ranma popularity. After I was exposed to more anime, I found fanfiction for it. I quickly branched out, and the arrival of ff.net was glorious.

Anyone remember anipike.com? That was one of my earliest anime fanfic resources besides rec.arts.animation.etc.etc. Not sure if it is still alive.

edit: I started my fanfic hobby young as fuck. I was already into reading and fanfiction was a newish, free alternative.

18. AAli

AAli High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

A post Hogwarts H/G quidditch fic. I was looking for OotP info when I found Schnoogle.

Main ones that I remmeber keeping an eye on for updates were Joe's Sword of the Hero, RossWrock's Power of Time and a "something Magus" story.

19. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

First fanfiction that I read was a Naruto story called "Set In Stone" by The SOC Puppet. It was a really good story for me and I still check every now and then though I've pretty much given up all hope on that story being completed.

20. Blazzano

Blazzano Unspeakable

Though I'm not entirely sure, my first fic might have been Slytherin Rising by JL Matthews. It's notable for including not one, but five Mary-Sues (one of them eventually going on to rape Snape with a Petrificus Totalus), and it probably originated or reinforced a number of unfortunate "good Slytherin" cliches. Not my finest hour for fanfic reading...