1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What Would Happen If A Dementor Kissed Harry?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reminiscence, Dec 18, 2016.

1. Reminiscence

Reminiscence Squib

With Voldemort's soul a part of him, could complications occur? If so, what complications could happen? Could the Dementor take the Horcrux out and leave Harry alive? Could the Dementor take Harry out and leave the Horcrux to take over Harry's body?

2. syed

syed Supermod

If it is after the resurrection ritual, the blood link that he has with tom might save him. Only thing the dementors get is the soul piece. It kept him alive when he was hit by the death curse, so why not this as well.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The Dementor wouldn't be able to touch the scarcrux, from Hermione's explanation of the nature of a horcrux in DH. A normal person is a soul housed inside a material body, but a horcrux IS the material body. The only way to affect the horcrux is to destroy the physical body, and there is no way for the soul piece to survive without that body.

So what would happen is likely that Harry's soul would get sucked out as per normal. The blood protection link to Voldemort post-GoF is unlikely to save him, because the blood protection is protection against death and Dementors don't kill you. They just suck out your soul.

What happens next is up for grabs. Maybe the Voldemort soul piece is able to take Harry's body over without Harry's soul there. Or maybe it can't and so Harry's body just slowly dies of starvation without a soul there to provide the will to continue living. When the body does die, the horcrux dies with it.

4. syed

syed Supermod

Is the soul piece in Harry tied to his body or his actual soul? If it is the soul, then for a dementor can't take the horcrux, it means then it would also anchor his own soul.

5. Caledfwlch

Caledfwlch Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Word of God says that: 'Well, you've got to-- if his body had been irreperably destroyed, he has to die to get rid of that piece of soul. His body has got to be irreperably damaged.'

On a related note, why would Voldemort have made Nagini a horcrux when she was bound to die of old age, if nothing else, at some point?

6. drnido

drnido Squib

High Score:
    I agree with you that it is more likely that harry's soul is sucked out. As the diary showed that a horcrux can take over a body, the piece of soul in the scar than takes over the body.

7. DeezNuts

DeezNuts Squib

High Score:
    It's probably a 50/50 chance, either the horcrux gets sucked out, of Harry's soul does. Personally, i feel that the dementor would probably take a whole soul over a fragment.

8. syed

syed Supermod

It is said the blood protection that tom was burned by acted as a kind of horcrux, so when tom used an AK on Harry, it kept him alive. So if a dementor kisses Harry after the blood ritual, his soul might be protected by it enough, to instead make it do the dementor instead takes the accidently attached soul piece.

9. AlPamphilii

AlPamphilii Squib

High Score:
    I don't believe it would be beneficial, even if it somehow managed to get the horcrux out of Harry, I believe such a traumatic action would have the same effect of an AK from a different person than Tom.

10. DragonSin

DragonSin Disappeared

High Score:
    Harry would more than likely survive, as he's Harry Potter and a story with him in it that just goes "Harry encountered a Dementor, he had no wand. He lost his soul. The End" is pretty boring. I would imagine that the soul piece would get taken out, then the dementor would leave, since Harry has likely fainted by this point and the Dementor can no longer sense his emotions, believing the job to be done.

If we look at it from a Fanfiction POV, Harry gains a lot of power from this, and maybe some memories/skills to go along. Pretty much every INDY!Harry fic ever follows suite.

If we look at it from a "what is likely to happen after with some educated guesses using canon" POV, things will change from canon considerably. Let's assume we're talking about him getting the soul shard taken out during OOTP, as that's less complicated than dealing with the whole 'time turner' thing. Harry will no longer have the Voldemort mind connection thing, Dumbledore seeing this now believes he has a chance to win the war that is to come (remember, it's likely that he still believes that the prophecy ended the night Voldemort attacked, it's likely that he only saw it as still being a factor for Harry after seeing that it is still active in the DOM). So he trains Harry up in secret lessons during the year, maybe trying to gauge if he is really worth training. After seeing that Harry is actually a talented Wizard who is just too lazy to be bothered with academics, he will likely continue to train him further and develop a bond with him. This will most definitely be a more Father/Son bond, rather than the Grandfather/Grandson bond we sometimes see in canon (when Rowling isn't relying on doublespeak to get out of actually writing dialogue).The rest is up for grabs pretty much.

11. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

Given how little love and affection Harry had gotten up to that point, he'd probably marry the thing.

12. Secundum

Secundum Squib

High Score:
    Personally, I think that one of three things would happen.

Option 1) The Dementor eats the Horcrux. (personal headcanon is Dumbledore never tried it because of the risk of option 2, plus the fact that it might just make the Dementor the Horcrux, and the soul fragment would still be inside the dementor).

Option 2) The Dementor eats Harry's soul and leaves the Horcrux (either too small, too corrupted, or it can only get souls out of the mouth).

Option 3) The Dementor thinks 'Oh goody! A bigger lunch!' and eats both Harry's Soul and the Horcrux.

13. Iandude0

Iandude0 Squib

Harry soul departs his body and as such he dies. I'm unsure of what would happen to the Voldemort horcrux then, though unless it somehow takes control of Harry's body I can't see it lasting for much longer.

14. hanabanana

hanabanana Squib

High Score:
    I think the horcrux would take over the body, seeing as it's the only part of the soul left.

15. Slasher

Slasher Squib

High Score:
    I think Voldemort would take over harrys body as his soul would be sucked out of his body or it wiuld have killed the horrocrux.

16. Conquistador

Conquistador High Inquisitor

High Score:
    I think accidental magic would play a big factor. If Harry's magic runs to his defense, the horcrux will die. If not, bye bye to his soul.

17. syed

syed Supermod

What would be cool is a confrontation between a dementor and an obscrurial?

18. bane

bane Squib

High Score:
    I believe both would be sucked out. Remember that Voldemort had already divided his soul multiple times. The Horcrux inside Harry potter must be infinitesimally small. Unless the Horcrux is able to use this fact to hide then it should still be gobbled up easily. Granted that scenario wouldn't make a good story.

19. Jeremy

Jeremy Squib

High Score:
    I agree with bane. I've thought about this before and i thought that both would be removed. I think that the dementor would remove Harry's soul and the horcrux would end up coming along for the ride.

20. syed

syed Supermod

Say the dementor does feed on the soul piece, would it harm the dementors? They might be the darkest creatures around, but their diet are whole and pure souls. Such a change in their food source has to have some kind of effect.

The other question, would it still anchor tom to earth? It would be terrible as if there is no true way to kill a dementor, then tom will be impossible to kill.