1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

What's your favorite fanfic?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Prancatius, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Prancatius

Prancatius Squib

Seeing as how I'm pretty bored(should be studying instead of procrastinating), I was wondering what peoples favorite fanfic is. It doesn't have to be in a specific series or media.

Any particular reason for liking that fanfic?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Lucius Rex

Lucius Rex First Year DLP Supporter

The Black Prince by Cxjenious.

3. Ankan

Ankan Professor

Harry Potter and the Boy Who Lived by The Santi

4. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Alexandra Potter by Taure.

Reasons:

1. Worldbuilding.

2. Realistic characters.

3. Writing skill of the author.

5. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

My favorite completed fic is A Black Comedy by nonjon. Probably the funniest fanfic ever written. I just read it again recently, and it holds up really well. In my opinion, it's not only my favorite completed fanfic but also the best fanfic I've ever read.

Now, if we aren't talking completed, I'm going to have to go with The Happy Red Prince. I know it is not the best story ever by today's standards, but I started reading fanfiction in the early 2000's and this is one of those old fics that I have fond memories of reading. I keep checking a couple times a year to see if it has been updated even though it clearly says discontinued in the summary and was last updated in 2006.

6. approximate

approximate Squib

Voice of the Nephilim's, Elizium for the Sleepless Souls.

The concept, the writing, the twist...the story blew my mind.

7. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

Delenda Est.

Edit: Discordant by Heather Sinclair comes to my mind, also Compromised by Ivanolix.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

The Song of the Trees by Tinn Tam

I never read a fic that simply flows so well as that one, without stupid cliches and plot points, and it has a really great atmosphere of mystery, at least in the beginning.

9. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    FTFY:
    My kinda favorite is Oh god not again! Otherwise that ME/HP crossover fic that Roarian started to write but abandoned...

10. oakes

oakes Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Black Comedy will always hold a special place in my heart,

Other than that I really liked was Knowledge is Power. I know it had mixed reviews when it came to our site but it had some cool characterization imho.

11. Stan

Stan Order Member

On the Way to Greatness by Mira Mirth : Best Harry characterization, really good pacing, brilliant writing and excellent portrayal of Slytherin House to the point that it is now head-canon to me. Now if only it would update.....

Other great ones : Equal and Opposite (best Harry-Goes-Dark fic), The Denarian Trilogy (Epic fight scenes), The Pheonix and the Serpent (which remains shamefully underrated), Cauterize (best oneshot) and Hogwarts Houses Divided (best canon compliant)

Atram Noctem :

That's not quite true. It has Ginny bashing iirc, and bashing is the stupidest cliche ever.

12. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dunno I think it's equal to , magic trunks, shopping spree, über haxor wand with wood from gandalf penis and nazgul ass hair as acore, and friendly goblins and twulaw.

13. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Denarian Renegade

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

Bashing is more annoying because of how fucking prevalent it is. Things like super trunks and nazgul wands aren't all that common anymore among the literate authors, but even otherwise good writers (see : Tinn Tam, although to be fair that story is quite old) fall into the trap of character bashing, and its fucking irritating.

Also, things like shopping sprees, annoying as they are, aren't inherently and blatantly disrespectful to canon like bashing is.

15. Schrodinger

Schrodinger Muggle ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'll second A Black Comedy. It still cracks me up.

16. Atram Noctem

Atram Noctem Auror

Stan, as far as I recall, TSOTT doesn't talk about Ginny much at all. There is a tiny line between character bashing and simply dismissing a character, and in TSOTT Ginny doesn't have much presence save for a few lines where it's mentioned that they aren't together anymore. And as mentioned here, there are much worse cliches, which sadly appear in 90% of all fics.

17. Oinyal

Oinyal Fourth Year

It's not the greatest fanfiction story I've ever read, but my favorite is Make a Wish by Rorschach's Blot. What can I say? Warm fuzzy feelings of nostalgia win out. The premise of Harry obliviously having an adventure while on a vacation just really tickled me, and it still makes me laugh. It's one of those stories that just make you feel good.

18. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

And still, after all these years ...

I like knowing my tastes change that little.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Haha, that was just me poking fun at the Indy!Harry genre back in the day. It's good that someone enjoyed it though (I agree about it not being the best ever by today's or any other day's standards).

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

I was able to narrow it down to four:

The Game of Champions by Lamora - Pokemon. Hands down, the single greatest piece of fanfiction ever conceived, and even though it will likely never be finished, I don't think I'll change my mind on that.
    On the Way to Greatness by Mira Mirth - Harry Potter. The best Harry Potter tale I've read
    Interstitium by Assault Sloth - Mass Effect. The best piece of fanfiction from a series that deserves far more.
    At the Brink of the Dawn and the Darkness by blank101 (this entire series) - Star Wars. Masterful. If you like Star Wars, read it. Seriously

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015