1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

When You Just Don't Get the Hype

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by LittleChicago, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Dr. Who and Breaking Bad are two things I never got into, despite watching first season of Dr. Who and a few other episodes and 3 seasons of BB.

Probably other stuff but I just can't remember.

2. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I still have that sense with the Coen bros. Almost all of their films fall on a scale from boring (Fargo) to mildly entertaining (Hail Caesar). The only exception is Inside Llweyn Davism, which was brilliant.

I never liked Breaking Bad or the Walking Dead. Both of them are filled entirely with unlikeable characters who I just wanted to fail.

3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Wheel of Time for books is probably the biggest one to me. I want to enjoy it and take in what's undoubtedly one of the most influential and verbose series out there but I can't get through more than 3 or 4 books because I just hate the characters.

Music wise, The Beatles. I appreciate them from the historical standpoint and the enormous cultural influence they had, but just not a fan of their music.

4. methor

methor Fourth Year

I never really understood the appeal of the Harry Potter series.

5. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    That's a bold move, Cotton.

6. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    For those posting about Doctor Who, have you tried watching different Doctors? Some people love particular runs of the show, then find the new Doctor isn't to their taste before coming back to it a few series down the line. Might work for some of you.

7. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

A game not a show/book but definitely overhyped is Minecraft. I appreciate the passion and am amazed at what some people create but in reality it is just deadset boring to me.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll add The Walking Dead and Minecraft to my list. I have had fun with Minecraft, but I feel like once you build something there's just no life in it. At least in a game like The Sims you can build a house and people actually live in it and shit.

I've never really desired to watch Dr. Who or Supernatural, so that's 2/3 of "Superwholock" out. I more or less liked the first two seasons of Sherlock (I'm the guy who liked the Guy Ritchie films better), but I haven't really gone out of my way to watch what's been put out since then.

9. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Most of the mainstream comedy movies, Dr. Who, Lord of the Rings, and most especially cop shows. Of course the worst part is that I feel like I get a mirrored reaction when I recommend my own likes to people.

10. GiantMonkeyMan

GiantMonkeyMan High Inquisitor

I'll echo people saying RWBY which is just dumb and boring and also Dr Who which I have found entirely shit except for the Weeping Angels. I remember when I was still at Uni I had a lot of nerd friends who really enjoyed Dr Who whilst I just couldn't get into it but we still watched quite a lot of them together.

11. EkulTeabag

EkulTeabag Seventh Year

James Bond. Superman. One Piece. Half-Life and Portal. The Big Bang Theory (or any show with a laugh track). Dark Souls. Any survival or horror games. Minecraft.

Special mention goes to Star Wars. I've seen the original trilogy and the prequels, and I didn't see the appeal in any of them. Have no desire to watch the seventh one, especially since I've heard it's basically a re-hash of A New Hope (the weakest of the films, in my opinion).

In regards to Dr. Who, I loved Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, but for the life of me I could not get into Tennant as the Tenth. I just gave up and stopped watching despite everyone saying how great it became once he really got into the role.

12. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Mad Men stands out in my head. Tons of my friends kept telling me to watch it, but I couldn't stand it. All the characters were assholes, and while I get that that's sort of the point, I couldn't enjoy.

How I Met Your Mother is another show that people kept telling me to watch, but I didn't enjoy it all that much. I tried it out, didn't find it funny. Similarly, I disliked Friends. And Seinfeld. And the Big Bang Theory. I tend to dislike a lot of popular sitcoms.

More recently, ERASED. I found the concept of travelling through time to solve a mystery to be interesting, but everything past that point didn't really engage me at all.

13. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Heh. I watched a lot of HIMYM back in the day, but on a fairly sporadic basis - the main channel it was shown on would do countless re-runs in between the new episodes, so I never saw it in any sort of order. It took me nearly a year before I realised that Ted was supposed to be the main character, at which point I more or less gave up on it. Barney was funny, but other than that I didn't find anything special about it.

14. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Similar experience to Ched here, my best friend and I watched the first ep, looked at each other when it ended and both went "Nah"

It was so weird/campy, but not in the way that I like, just in a weird/bad way.

15. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    All y'all starting to upset me. Tell me, please, what is weird/campy about this:

[​IMG]

Classic Farscape. We need a DLP Meet-Up of all you nonbelievers where I host a Farscape viewing party.

Cash bar.

16. Miner

Miner Order Member

Personally I enjoyed Percy Jackson, although to be fair I was really young at the time and had the mentality of a kid going "Swords and monsters! Cool! Best stuff ever!". Then the hiatus between Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus happened and I just couldn't tolerate the second series at all. It's prolly more because I grew up rather than because it got any worse though.

The Walking Dead- I just couldn't enjoy this series. Maybe I wasn't too fair with this one, watching one episode and decidedly hates it. I heard a lot of good things about it but the first episode really didnt cut it for me. Tell me truly, does the series get significantly better? Or is it similar to the first episode and if i didn't like that one i won't like future episodes?

The Office- The show always rubbed me the wrong way. A lot of people always go on about how funny it was and quote the characters a lot, but the episodes I watched just made me think that the writers should really have better taste in humor. Like i only appreciate so much racist, sexist, etc. jokes before it stops being funny and starts being offensive. Or maybe Im overly sensitive.

The Lion King- This one isn't really fair. I got way too POed at people bugging me to watch it (something about not having a childhood if youve never watched Lion King) and I just couldn't get it. By the sound of it, it was supposed to be something astounding but after i watched it I preferred Frozen more.

I dunno, I was underwhelmed by a lot of shit.

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Oh Walking Dead.

The series where at the start of every goddamn season the protagonists are super awesome, never hesitating in killing stuff or being ruthless and then turn into wimp midway and completely break down at the end. And the cycle repeat itself, every damn season.

I stopped halfway through season 3 I think. Couldn't handle it anymore.

18. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Forgot this but yeah, Worm as well. I don't get how I can overlap with DLP so hard on FF taste and just not like the other fandoms that seem to get momentum.

19. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Well, I am indifferent to a lot of things and many of them have been already mentioned by others in this thread.

I have zero interest in reading Dresden Files, Worm or Lord of the Rings, I don't plan on watching RWBY, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead or Dr. Who.

When it comes to video games I don't see the appeal in a lot of next-gen games like Skyrim, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Dark Souls. I have no intention of playing League of Legends either.

Oh and in Harry Potter fanfiction, I don't read post-Hogwarts fics and I don't like Harry/Fleur, Harry/Tonks or Harry/Daphne.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  20. Myrrdin Emrys

Myrrdin Emrys Disappeared

High Score:
    Lord of the Rings. To be specific, the books. 'Cuz damn are they boring.

My friends go like "Hey have you read the Lotr trilogy" and "You would not believe how amazing it is" and so I went to the local bookshop and bought one.

I can't explain how freaking boring it was for me. I don't know why but after reading till the 50th page or so, I couldn't continue. It felt extremely bland to me, like the way you feel when you have nothing but water to drink.

The two main things I think that turned me away were,

1) The paragraph long descriptions about every fucking thing. I got bored pretty soon because as soon as someone went wandering somewhere, which was every page of every chapter, Tolkien wrote paragraphs upon paragraphs of description on things like a tree!

2) And because of the first, what eventually happened was that the description derailed from the immersion whilst reading the book and made it hard to picture as to what was happening.

TL;DR, LotR was boring as fuck for me.