1. The second prompt is revealed! (Q2 2018)

"Breaking into Snape's office in the middle of the night was a risky move at the best of times..."

Deadline is June 18th, also known as the 22nd Anniversary of a seriously sad day—a tremendously black day for anyone.

As with before you can check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which fanfic classics have aged well and which haven't?

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Sorrows, May 16, 2018 at 7:35 PM.

1. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So I re-read Altered Destinies by DobbyElfLord the other day. Overall it still holds up reasonably well though there were some minor irritants like Harry's two animigus forms and the Pheonix Foundation and that he went with 'James Evens' as a name. Though to be fair, James Evens might have been a trend he started.

It still is one of the better timetravel fics out there though overall the storyline is kind of boring and lacks tension. The WW2 spy stuff still holds up, it was obviously well researched, but Grindalward and his arguments are unconvincing, Toms dip into evil is resolved dumbly Harry's family is annoying and there is a ticking clock element that never gets utilized properly.

It made me wonder which great stories you enjoyed in the past hold up when you re-read them? If they didn't why? Is it because their ideas have become cliches, the writing seems juvenile, the relationships seem problematic? etc etc

2. Tasoli

Tasoli Headmaster

I am scared to re-read Denarian series. I remember it being good but I also remember Harry in that story actually acting like very clishê Indy Harry only with much better writing with his shoulder angel.

3. Sorrows

Sorrows High Inquisitor Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:

Yeah I too have put off re-reading them. They were great at the time and are still probably pretty awesome but I think there are definite elements of Harry's character that would have me rolling my eyes at this point in my life.

The again I did read A Black Comedy not so long ago and though the snark could get grating at times it pretty much still holds together, I laughed out loud at points.

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Unspeakable

While there's quite a bit that hasn't aged well, JBern's The Lie I've Lived is definitely a fic one can re-read. I have, in fact, done it once this year when I had too much time on my hands. The Sorting Hat is unique to say the least, and while Harry Potter reads a bit like Harry Dresden in both his luck with women and the situations he keeps getting into, I've managed to suspend critiquing the story and just enjoyed it flow. Everything, from Harry dredging up his parents' sex lives in intimate detail to Peter Pettigrew taking the marauders out to a gay discotheque made me chuckle.

I suppose Barb's Psychic Serpent trilogy is something I'm afraid to tackle again. I don't know why, I just... don't want to.

5. Zenzao

Zenzao 500 Club King Prestige

High Score:
    I've been meaning to re-read The Lie I've Lived again and see how it holds up now. I liked it the past few times but I haven't opened it in about four years.

I noticed this as well. When I was younger I thought it was great, but I reread the story a couple of months back and I had to just skip some of the conversations between everyone as it progressed. Not perfect but on the whole it does hold up.

6. Zombie

Zombie John Waynes Teeth Prestige DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was just talking about this with @Sauce Bauss the other day. Nonjon's work has held up a lot better than many other fics that are "classics." Its kinda weird, but it shows a flair and polish for the time frame that the humor was well structured and not something that was on the fly.