1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Which fanfic classics have aged well and which haven't?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Sorrows, May 16, 2018.

1. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

This was a story that began the Unspeakable!Spy organization HP trope. It had a number of items that are considered cliche now, but not then. I blame the writers for destroying what was a decent story at the time. I'm not saying it was great, but it was different and entertaining. Now it's just copied far too much.

2. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Huh. That's a point I hadn't considered. I'd forgotten it was the start of that, I just remember trying to reread it a while back and wanting to bang my head against the wall. What a difference a decade makes. And now I feel old.

3. Heather_Sinclair

Heather_Sinclair Chief Warlock

Rosswalk's (sp) story Power something used the multi-compartment trunk and then proceeded to make it cliche all in one story.

Acceptance of Fate started the personal/lawyer's pensive and then everyone had one.

I forget who really took the Indy!Harry to new heights . He inherited some small Black castle along with a Baronship, grew his hair out, rode a motorcycle, became awesome, etc. Decent story.

It all had to start with something, but now almost all of them are painful to read.

4. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

HP and the Power of Time by RossWrock - honestly have never read it. I think it has the distinction of being 'published' earlier than the invention of the internet, much less the novels, no doubt due to a database error with excellent ironic pedigree.

5. throwaawy

throwaawy Fifth Year

I wouldn't call it a classic but Triumvirate of Resolve (a portkey fic, which means it is now lost to the interwebz) is still very memorable to me due to the most interesting prophecy twist I've ever read... albeit mostly because it was one of those fics written prior to HbP.

To summarise the solution: the story focuses on "Neither can live while the other survives" but applies it to their titles. Harry uses the link Voldemort forged when he used his blood in the resurrection ritual and basically finds a way to strip himself of magic, inflicting the exact same thing on Voldemort via a sympathetic link.

Thus, the Boy Who Lived as well as Lord Voldemort are "dead", leaving behind the rather ordinary muggles Harry Potter and Tom Riddle.

I liked it because there was a sort of... symmetry? Harry willingly gave up the one thing that turned his life around for the better (Yer not a wizard, anymore, Harry) to save the people he'd grown attached to. Meanwhile Tom, who'd spent his childhood proving himself to be more special than anyone else, is stripped of that and left surrounded by people who were now objectively his superiors. In the epilogue, Harry is still living in the Wizarding world more or less treated as a respectable squib, while Tom literally died in a ditch as a homeless bum in muggle London.

While interesting in itself, my favourite moment in hindsight was that it was Ron who came up with initial interpretation, even if it was Harry who chose the actual means of pulling it off.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Either someone here of someone on HPFF has an archive of the entire site. Can't remember their username though.

7. CaffeineAddict

CaffeineAddict Seventh Year DLP Supporter

There's the Unofficial Portkey Archive

I think this is the fic: Triumvirate of Resolve

8. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Or that. That's a decent theme on that site.

9. deyas

deyas Groundskeeper

On the topic of the Denarian series: yes, Harry does most assuredly have many of the trappings of Indy!Harry as it was interpreted at the time. But unlike the vast majority of stories where Harry behaves or has powers similar to what he has in the Denarian series, the world does not bow to his whims as a result of that: he consistently, and loudly, loses. He acts in ways that are counter to his self-interest due to greed or arrogance, and it blows up in his face. He is shown to be, at best, morally gray, and the world and characters around him behave in a way that you might expect them to in real life as a result of that.

He has flaws, in other words.

That's not to say the series doesn't have a laundry list of issues, because it definitely does, but it holds up remarkably well given it's age. It also has one of the better Dumbledore's in the fandom, in my opinion.

10. Rico Rodriguez

Rico Rodriguez Banned

Harry Potter and the boy who lived by The Santi. I read it once in a while and every time, I have the same opinion for the story, just simply great.

Jax
  11. RossWrock

RossWrock Squib

lol..I used to get this all the time. I don't remember the exact date I published originally, but it was around 2003/2004. But at one point my story was removed for violating a copyright claim from an author who had actually plagiarized me. Thanks to the support of my readers, they petitioned FF.net into actually looking into the claim (which apparently wasn't done much back then), and FF.net eventually re-posted my story. But when they did, the publish date got reset to Dec 31st, 1969, which is apparently an important date in computer programing. I don't know. But I never asked anyone to fix it, since from that moment on I had the distinct pleasure to be the oldest HP fanfic story.

12. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    That's correct, it's a classic datetime issue in computer science: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time#Encoding_time_as_a_number