1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete While You Were Sleeping by Kelly NC-17 (BtVS)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by The Fine Balance, Jan 14, 2009.

1. The Fine Balance

The Fine Balance Headmaster

Title: While You Were Sleeping
    Author: Kelly
    Rating:NC-17
    Genre: Drama
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms (BtVS)
    Pairing: Buffy/Faith
    Summary: Set season seven, from the episode Chosen. Faith has never woken up from her coma The spell performed by Willow changes all of that...

Link:Linkage

First, I love how the title plays against the content of the fic: you come in expecting sunshines and daises and what you get is this twisted psychological drama, a bit verbose, but up until chapter eight at least, damn interesting.

I have no idea where exactly this fic is going and that is awesome. Considering that the focus is mostly between two characters and there are a very limited set of outcomes, the ambiguity established in the start (which most authors following a similar theme and plot seem unable to do) is enticing.

And Stockholm. Having fun in Stockholm, from both ends.

And considering I do praise badly: 4/5 at least.

Edit: I love the way he has done Xander.

So bloody awesome. The end is lovely, poignant, touching, realistic. I can't stop smiling. Grinning like a idiot high on sugar and caffeine.

4.5/5

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  2. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Link is for chapter 11. I'll edit this once I finish reading it with a review, just thought you'd like to know to fix linkage.

3. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

No.

The first chapter was murder. And I refuse to die.

The author needs to learn to read more, as they show no evidence of having read any decent books written within the last two centuries, and is occupied with copying the ones they have read.

The author needs to relearn how to write, as their current form is unceasingly overblown and nauseous. "Hello, dear reader. Allow me to hold your hand and walk you through each, and every, single, thing." In Shakespeare!Prose. Or, closer, Wannabe!Shakespeare!Prose, written in modern vernacular.

This is amateur fanfiction. It reads as if it hasn't been revised, or edited, or checked for anything but spelling. A work the author posted with a hearty, "Good Enough!"

There is no, "Concept is good too!"

A 1/5.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. The Fine Balance

I really need to ask: are you reading the same thing?

5. Paravon

Paravon Seventh Year

Yes.

Maybe I was exaggerating - well no, I was - but the core of my points still stand. The self aware "writer" writing, the purple prose, and the inflated soap opera emotions are there. All that on top of a pervasive feeling that the whole thing is overreaching.

It isn't as bad as some that I've seen, but good writing does not make me wince on every other description. Adjectives are not to be abused.

So I admit to cutting down the score to make a point and that I am oversensitive about these things, which is why I didn't rate the thread. I read this for a distraction and posted my opinion.

My actual score would probably be a 2/5.

6. The Fine Balance

Second quote, direct lift from Andrew from season 7x16 Storyteller.

I won't begrudge the writer a bit of purple prose. The nature of the story being told is such that only the exceptionally skilled or practiced can perfectly navigate that thin line that divides the verbose from the good. The writer fumbles, yes, but I'm plenty certain that the intensity of your attack is unfounded. Anyway, i'd say to each his own but my previous statement kinda invalidates that.

7. Danjam

Danjam Seventh Year

I agree with Silver to an extent - the writing style put me off a lot, so much that I couldn't read past the first few chapters. It was tough to determine which character the author was talking about a lot, and overall just hard to follow.

I won't rate the thread, as I didn't read much of it, and beyond the style, I didn't notice anything really bad about it.