1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Whispers of the Dead Lords by Martyr Logarius - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Stan, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Stan

Stan Order Member

Title: Whispers of the Dead Lords
    Author: Martyr Logarius
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 39
    Words: 141,497
    Published: Sep 22, 2015
    Updated: Nov 18, 2015
    Genre: Adeventure/Friendship
    Library Category: General
    Pairing: None
    Link: Link
    Summary:

This is one of the better Next Generation fics I've read. The author has created several characters with opposing political motivations, something I find very interesting. The writing is good, and there are several interesting aspects to the magic and world-building after year one.

Year one is a bit dull. There is quite a a bit of emphasis on Lily's social problems, which I found to be annoying. Also, the author introduces a whole bunch of characters at once when Lily reaches Hogwarts, and it can get a bit difficult to keep track of them at first.

Year three so far has been very good. There is a mystery central to the plot that the author is handling well enough, and I definitely dig many of the characters.

The story updates with a new chapter almost every day, which is a definite plus. Hope it keeps up the quality of the last few chapters for the rest of the story.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. invinoveri

invinoveri Third Year

How is Harry P. characterized?

3. Stan

Stan Order Member

Harry's characterization is as you would expect from canon: he's reasonably competent as the Head Auror and he's a decent man who loves his family. He's kinda overworked and in over his head at present though: lots of disappearances and other stuff happening.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Eh, I wouldn't say this anything more than passably written. Its the sort of thing I could read for a couple of hours to fill the time, it would hold my attention but I wouldn't be greatly satisfied by it.

The update rate is certainly a positive, but only if you're wanting some quick and easy reading every couple of days.

5. Poly

Poly First Year

Next-gen fic with canon pairings. Poorly written too. 2/5 and I'm being generous.

6. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

I hate next gen fics on principle. Too many schnoogle flashbacks. I'll echo what Mordecai said and say that it passes the time, but isn't worth any kind of outstanding rating. Just because its legible and that the author has a decent grasp of english mean that the plot is any good.

This is like the series after Percy Jackson where it doesn't focus on Percy Jackson.

I have always said, and I will say again, I reach HP fics for Harry Potter, not for Ron, Hermione, or any other POV, now if they're a part of the story, thats one thing, but it being the central focus makes this story nothing but a SI, or Mary Sue fic that is barely passable.

2/5