1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP White Rain by Zapenstap - M [Naruto]

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Nitramy, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Nitramy

Nitramy First Year

Title: White Rain
    Author: Zapenstap
    Rating: M
    Genre: Drama/Family
    DLP Category: Naruto
    Pairing: Sasuke / Sakura, Itachi / OC, minor Naruto / Hinata and Ino / Chouji
    Summary: A secretive woman arrives in Konoha… with Itachi's children. Despite Sasuke's objection, Itachi's son becomes a Leaf-Nin. Sakura faces a choice. As Hokage, Naruto must manage his friends, thwart his enemies, and save Konoha.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4237746/1/

A post-series story (may or may not be AU) that is an incisive character study on some of the Naruto universe's most beloved characters.

The OCs are also no slouch, and while the first chapter may be misleading, it will quickly grow onto you. Easy 4.5/5 to me (that last .5 is because of some spelling and grammar slips, nothing too distracting from the narrative)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

I actually enjoyed this fic, and its been on my watch list for a little while now. This is a continuation fic, written post-series, and if you don't like Sasuke or Uchiha you'll hate this one. Despite the summary, the main characters in the fic are Itachi's kids and their mother, not Naruto, who isn't really featured in the story often. Itachi's kid is called Itachi himself, which confuses me for a second every time I read a new update lol. Not really a 'character study' at all, but a concept I've never seen before executed well.

Downsides: a bit too much focus on angst, and Sasuke in particular is irritating. I felt that the OC family's origin, a land far from Konoha to be a bit lazy, since most anywhere else in the Elemental Countries would have done fine, and been more in touch with the world.

But the OC family are very interesting, with facets to the characters that I didn't see coming and a pretty interesting plot. I liked the less action focused sections of the story best, which is good since there is very little action.

Overall, I give it a 4/5, original concept that was written with style. It didn't wow me, but I do like it.

3. digitaltart

digitaltart First Year

I'm quite fond of this one as well. The writing is technically superb, although some parts are too slow. We're 200,000 words in and I want more things resolved. The therapy session with Ibiki could have been compressed, for instance.

I'm okay with the Van Alstynes not being from the Elemental Countries. I've always been mildly curious about the non-pseudo-Japanese portions of the Naruto world. Geographically it's not a large area, and they've picked up some obviously Western habits (clothing styles, some of their food). Stands to reason they have overseas trade of some kind.

ETA:

Hahaha I didn't even notice the link. As much as I enjoy the publicity...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  4. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's...decent. Technically sound, but not my personal cup of tea. The ninja world seems a bit too 'padded', but meh. It's really more of a character driven drama than anything. Still, interesting read if you're in the mood. 3.5/5.

5. Nocdia

Nocdia Sixth Year

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  6. Nitramy

Nitramy First Year