1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why does J. K. Rowling not want to let Harry Potter go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HarrySeverusPotter, Jul 30, 2016.

1. HarrySeverusPotter

HarrySeverusPotter Disappeared

High Score:
    Why does J. K. Rowling not want to let Harry Potter go?
    She clearly said that Deathley Hallows was the last one of Harry Potter, yet this is what we get: J.K. Rowling Just Can’t Let Harry Potter Go
    Is she not talented enough to write something else?

2. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

She actually has written other stuff since Harry Potter. Since you're confused, however, I'll explain.

Imagine you have a button. Every time you press that button it starts raining money. Would you let that button go?

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Less cynically, perhaps - and this is a wild idea, I know - she simply loves the setting and characters and enjoys writing new things for it? I mean, we're still logging on here nearly a decade after the last book was published, discussing it and writing our own fiction set there.

4. chaosattractor

chaosattractor Groundskeeper

High Score:
    Exactly. If anything it would be even worse (or better, depending on your point of view) for the person who created the setting and characters. It's especially trying for fantasy authors, because they have to do so much worldbuilding; so much of it sticks.

You might as well ask why the Tolkien estate published the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, the twelve-volume History of Middle-Earth, the recent Children of Hurin...

5. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    She, uh, has written other things.

And you're very prolific with topics today, aren't you?

6. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Because there's still some money in the world that she doesn't own.

7. chaosattractor

High Score:
    Okay the money thing is kinda bullshit. The woman gives a shitload of her money to charity. It's a pretty tired joke.

8. Agent

Agent High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Trust me, she's doing it for the money. Maybe not JUST for the money, but that is a major reason.

I would say it's also to keep her relevant. I do however wonder why she didn't release CC a few years after Fantastic Beasts premiered rather than releasing it around the same time.

9. Snupps

Snupps Fourth Year DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a great world, full of possibilities and things to tinker with. If I had something like that I wouldn't want to let it go either.

10. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, this. Plenty of fanfic writers love coming back to the setting without getting paid for it, so I don't see any reason the author wouldn't either.

As for why she's gone from "I'm done with Harry Potter" to writing more for the setting? Probably just that after writing Deathly Hallows she was a bit burnt out on the series, and needed a break from it. I know that's how I feel whenever I finish a novel-length story.

11. chaosattractor

High Score:
    Of course I'll trust you, random stranger on the internet.

I mean, be cynical all you want but realize that none of us are in Rowling's head.

12. radm94

radm94 First Year

High Score:
    Completely agree. This thread can't really be answered unless someone knows Legilimency.
    --------------------------

I can say, however, that each new iteration has suffered in quality, beginning with, in my opinion, HBP. But at least that and DH were part of the original plan. She might have enjoyed writing all the nonsense that came after DH, but I definitely didn't enjoy reading it. Fantastic Beasts will probably be the last straw.

13. realobt

realobt Squib

High Score:
    Probably money. Or probably she has some niggling idea of something else to add to the world and she wants to add it. But seriously I personally think she should let it go.

14. Miner

Miner Order Member

Lol money? Why would she want more money? She already has more than enough to last herself and her family a lifetime. And being a "rags to riches" person means she understands both sides of the coin and thus knows that she's got enough. If she wanted more money, she wouldn't have done the whole Robert Galbraith thing. Notice how she made substantially more money off that after the press leaked her identity?

Honestly. She's an author. To be a professional author you have to really really just love writing for writing. Not for money, or anything else. Writing for writing's sake. And in Harry Potter, she's got so much unexplored potential that thousands upon thousands of people have written fanfiction about.

Why should she be any different?

15. Legend3381

Legend3381 Seventh Year

High Score:
    How is the even a conversation? Over 1 billion dollars, movie rights, merchandising, and so one. Who can blame her for riding that money train? Shit, everyone here would do the same and don't anyone lie and say they wont.

She actually written another book after harry potter that was really good. She did it under a fake name but she confirmed it was her. A Cuckoo Calling.

16. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

I highly doubt it's the money.

I think she loves the world, but also wants to lay claime to it. She's heard 10 years of speculation and questions. I see this as her laying down her world. Snaps is a hero, Harry isn't strong in power but friends and love, Hermione is the bestest ever, Draco is super good guy.

It's a bit of a hamfisted attempt to force certain points at us.

17. kira and light

kira and light Seventh Year

The thing is it completely contradicts what she said before, in an interview she said that Snape was not a hero but just brave and only helped against Voldemort because of Lily and not any regret,guilt etc.

She also said Draco and Harry would never be friends but only act civil around each other and the only reason fangirls loved him was beacuse of the actor.

She didn't even write this shit but she did approve it.

18. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Guys, don't worry about realobt he's just a shitposter trying to get into WbA, and not actually interested in conversation with us. He's just posting and running. Probably thought his post here wasn't even controversial.

19. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

So we're all on a website dedicated to Harry Potter fanfiction, I've now been a member since '05 (holy shit), why can't we let Harry Potter go?

Probably because she's created such a diverse, rich world, with well-defined rules, but not so well-defined that there's no room for interpretation. This leaves literally endless possibilities.

20. turtlepearlove

turtlepearlove Squib

High Score:
    Speculations aside I really wish she would build on the marauders era instead. Or do a spin off with totally different characters instead of a possible Harry Potter Grandchidren's verse.