1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Ginny Weasley so hated?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark Lady Pryor, Nov 25, 2007.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Pryor

Dark Lady Pryor Fourth Year

I know this will piss off most people on this site, since it is extremely anti-Ginny, but I really am confused as to why Ginny Weasley is so hated.

I am indifferent to the character, and choose to ignore her like she is in canon, at least as she is until HBP. I know there is shit loads of piss - poor fanfiction out there about her, so is that the reason why she is so hated, or is it because the H/G pairing was pulled out of thin air in HBP?

So why is Ginny Weasley hated: because of fanon or canon?

2. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

This post is sort of dumb, since this is already been discussed in numerous topics. For instance, this is the general reason. Some just dislike the character. It is their right and a right of this site:

3. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Wow, umm... We should sticky this thread so that people can just read Bio's post before making anymore dumbshit topic.

4. JoeHundredaire

JoeHundredaire Looked into the void

Personally, I don't like her because:

1.) I saw the Harry/Ginny coming from Chamber of Secrets. She crushes on him, he rescues her... I was surprised that JKR even wasted time on Cho instead of going straight to Ginny. And because Harry has a very familial relationship with the Weasleys, it comes off as horribly incestuous. Why not do Ron/Ginny?

2.) We really see nothing of her character evolution the way we watch the Trio grow. Seriously, you could give OotP-DH Ginny a touch of Seamus's brogue, change the name, and nobody would have ever noticed that the littlest Weasley had wandered into the background and never reappeared. She's that much a foreign character to me, just because we know practically nothing about how she went from quiet, naive little girl who sticks her elbow in butter to the fiery, strong (as much as a female can be in JKR's stuff) young woman who goes to the Department of Mysteries.

5. Dark Lady Pryor

Saruman, I'm not trying to say that everyone on this site is wrong: its the complete opposite. All I am trying to figure out is if it is because of fanon that she is hated, or HBP?

6. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    There's no such thing as "wrong" when it comes to your feelings on something or someone.

7. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I didn't used to hate Ginny before HBP. I merely hated the H/G ship. Like what Bio has posted, I feel (at that time, prior to HBP) that she is not "relevant" enough a character to be paired with Harry.

Then came the HBP farce which actually made me disliked her. In HBP, Ginny changed from a minor wall-flower character whom I am largely indifferent to, to one who is suddenly zOMG so awesomely pretty even Slytherins are possibly attracted to her, who is funny and witty and is the "life and soul of the Gryffindor quidditch team", what with being able to excel in BOTH the Chaser and Seeker positions. In short, she became your standard perfect Mary-Sue.

Add in Harry's chest-moster and his eventual hook up with Ginny, and the whole thing smacked of Rowling trying to get most fans behind Ginny and the H/G ship. To put it simply, Rowling wanted to pair Ginny up with Harry as part of her OBHWF plan, but Ginny was at that point too minor, and unimportant a character, so what does JKR do?

She starts displaying and emphasizing Ginny's traits and personalities, to get her more into the spotlight so to speak. She showed us how pretty Ginny was, how good she was at this and that, and how popular she was. But she overdid it. She forgot to actually write Ginny out to be a proper character, with her own flaws and negatives. All we got was a shallow doll of a character stuffed to the brim with positives attributes. That's all. Do you still wonder why I despise Ginny as a character?

And then, in the last book, does JKR try to correct this weakness? No. She relegates Ginny even further into the background. Ginny became nothing more than someone Harry yearns for occasionally when the going is tough, as well as his fairytale princess or "prize" to put it more crudely at the end, whom he can live happily ever after with after defeating Voldemort.

So there you have it. It's why I hate Ginny and the H/G ship. The whole character "relevancy" thing also explains why the ship I supported most, and also the one I actually thought might have a real chance of materializing, is H/Hr.

Dark Lady Pryor: To answer your question, I'd say it's probably a mix of both fanon and canon that made people hate Ginny. For me, as I've explained, it was the canon. Fanon Ginny had no impact on me since I can proudly say I've never once read a H/G fic. The moment I find out it contains that pairing, I hit the 'close' button.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  8. Dark Lady Pryor

Thankyou, Lucullus, as that has answered a question I have been wondering about for some time, except for one thing: why do people think that she is a slut?

I get that she is seen as a mary-sue with no actual flaws, so is the whole 'slept with every male in school' thing a way to counteract this, a by-product of fanon, or just slander of the character?

9. rhduwe

rhduwe First Year

Maybe you should have use search before creating new thread? I think DLP has quite enough of this already. Read this and you will find answers for your questions. Or sift through Hall of Shame. No offense, but I can't see the point in creating another one of those.

10. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

I think the whole Ginslut thing is more of a joke or fanon-ish thing. Those that actually thinks she's a slut probably believe so due to her newfound good looks and popularity in HBP, and her tendency to flit from one boy to another, especially if she is doing it just to get Harry's attention, which is implied in the books. Kinda reminds you of a general high school slut.

I don't really think so though. It isn't that uncommon for a girl of her age to switch boyfriends that easily, and she doesn't seem the overtly flirty type in canon. But of course, you wouldn't expect dear Ginny to have such a trait which most consider a flaw. That would be blasphemous to JKR and her pro-perfect!GinnySue horde.

11. Nymphe

Nymphe Second Year DLP Supporter

I will take a stab at it, even though I don’t care either way. Personally, I think Rowling cheated like crazy when she wrote this character. But if the masses like crap, well...

1. She goes from ignored fangirl to hot, popular groupie and never grows from that.

2. When Harry needed a date for the Yule Ball, she said she accepted Neville invite, which would have been fine if Rowling hadn’t added the “or I wouldn’t be able to go” crap (insert “oh poor Ginny” whine). I could have glossed over it if Ginny hadn’t ditched Neville for Michael Corner at the Ball.

3. After her talk with Hermione, she uses two boys (one in his year, then his dorm mate) to get Harry to notice her.

4. Ron and the twins call her easy and Harry likes it.

5. Harry only thinks of her in the physical and entertaining sense.

In all, I don't think she is a slut, but a Ron-with-a-womb fuck toy rewarded to our lazy hero.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  12. JoeHundredaire

JoeHundredaire Looked into the void

Okay, I just shot Mt. Dew out of my nose. You're my hero.

13. Goofykilledher

Goofykilledher First Year

Perhaps I'm the only one here, though it would be interesting if I'm not.

Okay, a show of hands of people who hated canon Ginny before fanon Ginny?

Anyone?

Truth be told, I've never even been introduced to fanon Ginny, because after HBP, I just hated her too much to even read fanfiction about Ginny-Sue.

OotP Ginny I didn't really care for. Her Sue traits were kind of there, but she was still in the background enough to not get in the way of things. Personally, I still believe her character is all around useless. You could put almost ANY Gryffindor in her position in CoS. Say like Neville? Ron? Percy? Colin Creevey? Hermione? The list could go on.

So again, I was impassive towards Ginny for the first five books when I read them. And because I didn't give a rat's ass about Ginny, I didn't bother meeting her fanon side.

But then came along HBP Ginny...

What pissed me off the most about the creation of the failed experiment known as Ginny Weasley, is that her main purpose in the story is to make babies with Harry. That's all she really does.

And the rest of my loathing for the Mary-Sue Bitch is history! :p

14. Lucullus

Lucullus High Inquisitor

*Sigh* Did you even bother reading my posts?

15. Goofykilledher

Goofykilledher First Year

....Other than Lucullus.

Just wondering if there are more than two people who were introduced to the monstrosity called Ginny-Sue in HBP before fanon Ginny.

16. Hadoren

Hadoren High Inquisitor

17. Kardikek

Kardikek Groundskeeper

I read through the series when book 4 was published. Back then I couldn't have cared less about relationships but I was subtly introduced to fanfiction.net and all the monstrosity therein. So yes, due to the back role of Ginny I never cared for her. Hermione was obviously the character being fleshed out for the final marriage proposal, or so I thought.

18. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

Ana Christina is bat-shit insane when it comes to H/Hr but she's an okay person to talk to.

They (Harmonians)l were fairly decent until HBP came out. Then they just became mad as hatters. Well, vanceone was always a fucking weirdo. And so was Mad-Eye Mike but they had some of the more intelligent theories going around and they were usually spot on.

They just lived in an idealized world where books don't try to emulate Hollywood movie formulas. They sort of definitely missed the boat on symbolism - things like alchemy, circular shit and hippogriffs. That's just weird.

They were better than H/Gers though, until HBP. Now both are just annoying as fuck.

19. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

My dislike, not hatred, of Ginny comes from: A: What is mentioned in Bio's post and B: That I don't like the Weasleys as the conduit for almost ever plot device and development in the Harry Potter series. I've posted an explanation of this a couple of times before so I wont bother again. That fact that the Weasleys are involved in so many of the plot devices makes it far to easy for Rowling to throw Harry and Ginny together and it pissed me off. I just got bored of reading about the Weasleys problems and how Harry had to solve them, sometimes I got the impression the book wasn't Good V Evil, Harry V Voldemort, but Harry digging the Weasley family out of the shit they got themselves in, and if the Weasley's are supposed to be a symbolism of the Wizarding world, then Harry shouldnt have bothered

20. Nymphe

Nymphe Second Year DLP Supporter

Not open for further replies.