1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why Is This Good?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Howdy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Howdy

Howdy Dark Lord

Well since people seemingly won't let this thread die, I'll go ahead and say that I have now read book 3 and about half of four, and found that there was a plot for this series.

It's gotten much better, so thank you for encouraging me to continue (though I'm still mildly disgusted with Harry's "oh no, it's all my fault" attitude).

2. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

He gets over it and rapes the world six and a half books from where you currently are.

3. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I'd left this thread open in another tab, and when I got back to it, I saw this line, and was pretty sure it was about a post-OotP Harry Potter fanfiction.

A bit more on-topic: I was where you are, once. Stopped reading the novels after the first two, because I just...didn't care for them much. Liked the premise, and that was about it. Friends suggested I keep pushing through it (and lent me the books, which helped), and I did. It picked up sharply in the third book, and continued to get better.

Dresden doesn't keep that attitude forever, thank goodness. I guess at least one author figured out this 'character development' concept.

4. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hah, yeah, in an effort to get a good friend of mine into the books I bought him a box set for his birthday. He'll read them sooner or later and eventually get to the good ones and continue by himself.

Then again, I consider the first two books to be "good." They aren't awesome or amazing, but they were good. Worth the time to read while travelling and whatnot.

I put the third and fourth books on the same level though. For a lot of people that's where they pick up, but personally I think Summer Knight (Book4) is my least favorite of the series.

Book 5 is where it started up for me. And Howdy, yeah, people aren't letting this thread die but personally I enjoy it. It's a place to add some general reactions to the series that aren't all glowing and full of praise.

Actually, shit, I probably posted half of that earlier. Oh well.

Why is Summer Knight so popular as a "this is where it got good" book anyway? I found it to be so weak with Elaine and Aurora showing up for it, and I hate those bitches in my books.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Cheddar, I gotta say that I agree with your assessment on Summer Knight. I mean, it was a bit better than the first three, but not that much better. Book 5 and 6 were however where the huge difference came into play.

6. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Oddly enough, the first time I read through the series, I skipped books 4 and 9 - yes, the only ones with Elaine - entirely by accident, because I couldn't find them. That being said, I like Elaine now. Though, for the life of me, I could not tell you exactly why.

And I still consider book 2 the weakest of the entire series.

7. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It pisses me off how he constantly holds back as well. But the last few books he ain't fucking around anymore. It's on, I wish he'd of let loose like that earlier.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not so much that he holds back as he just wasn't capable of laying waste to shit like he could in the latter books in the series.

He fully let rip once in Grave Peril (possibly casting his death curse in the process), reanimated a zombie dinosaur in Dead Beat, fought Über-Ghouls + Cowl in White Night, let rip against the Denarians in Small Favor, absolutely owned in Turn Coat and... well, Changes happened.

Before Dead Beat he didn't really have the power or skill to really do the sort of damage we see later on, especially since he hadn't acquired his own personal assistant.

9. Midknight

Aekiel, he still holds back quite a bit from what he's fully capable of. He does say several times "if the council only knew" sort of stuff. He's nowhere near maxed, and he does it to himself with limitations. His power changes quite a bit true, but he's still holding back out of fear of going too far.

I like him best when he's against stuff he has no problem wiping out, that's the best reading for me.

10. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Unlike every one else ever, I didn't read Dresden Files from book one.
    I picked up Turn Coat from my local library after reading the blurb. Turn Coat is probably my favourite in the series, and its the only one I actually own, but when I went back and read books 1 and 2, I liked them.
    Maybe its because I understood a lot of what was going on already, or I was just invested in the series, but they seemed pretty good. The books do ramp up though, and the various powerups and alliances Harry makes definitely makes him a way more badass character later on.
    When does Ghost Story come out though? I read Changes a while back, but it can't be too long...right?

11. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Ghost Story is slated to come out in late March 2011.

12. Midknight

Side Jobs 10/26/10

Ghost Story 2011
    Faerie Queens 2012

GS sounds like it's going to be lamer then he's been doing, hopefully not.

13. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Is that an official title?

14. Midknight