1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Wicked fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Cyclops, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I'm listening to the audiobook now and am enjoying it well enough so far. I can see a lot of potential for fanfiction in this world.

So does anybody know of any good fics for Wicked? Preferably based on the novel by Gregory Maguire, as I've never seen the musical.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  2. ReverseSide

ReverseSide Slug Club Member

Narrative Strain

If you don't mind femslash (and nearly all the stories in this fandom are femslash) then this is probably the best fic I've read for Wicked. There's some vague horror undertones to this - which I love. Hmm, can't say anything about the plot given that it's very easy to spoil - but I will say that there actually is a fairly compelling story, especially considering the fandom. Everyone is in character, or at least enough that you don't really feel any dissonance.

Give it a try.

3. Ash

Ash Moves Like Jagger DLP Supporter

I have no fics, I am simply posting so that this thread stands out in the New Posts view because I am highly interested, and love Wicked.

4. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

Thank you for the response. I"ll read it as soon as I finish Wicked.

I don't mind femslash stories. Hell, as far I can tell its practically canon anyways.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I've just finished Narrative Strain and have to concur that it is simply brilliant. The characterizations are simply impressive, and the writing and tone was captivating. This definitely gets a 5/5.

Its amazing to me that I've finished this fic before finishing the novel itself. The problem I'm having with it is after the time-skip it switches to the POV of an absolute nothing character. Fiyero was less than a minor character and suddenly he gets POV and hooks up with Elphaba? It feels like he's there simply because we only see Elphaba through the eyes of others and they want to show us what she's been up to. The problem is he is the most boring and least characterized minor character in the book so far and they are suddenly making him a major character and expecting me to care about him just because Elphaba does (which seems incredibly forced, by the way).

In fact before Elphaba hooked up with him I had the impression the book was headed for a Elphaba/Glinda pairing, which is why I understand all of the femslash in this fandom.

Also, isolating Elphaba from Glinda, Boq and the others doesn't make for very interesting reading because their interactions with each other is part of what made the first half of the novel so enjoyable for me.

I could be overreacting I guess. Maybe the book will surprise me and change my mind about everything. I just need to muster the willpower to get through Fiyero's POV first.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013