1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10, good or bad?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by TheGamingPhysicist, Sep 30, 2015.

1. TheGamingPhysicist

TheGamingPhysicist Squib

While it does seem to be the next logical stage in the way of progression, I have been sitting on the fence concerning whether or not to downloading and updating my OS to Windows 10 on my desktop and laptops.

My indecisiveness is based on comments and opinions of close friends and relatives; they're rather mixed on views. Between, "it's not very nice to use, too buggy" to "you should get it due to the flexibility and connectivity it provides with other electronic devices".

Do you think is Windows 10 still worth downloading?

I sincerely apologise with grammar and punctuation, I had/have disability when it comes to English.

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I upgraded straight from Windows 7 to 10. The only real difference I've noticed is a much faster boot time. Everything else is basically the same as Windows 7. The settings/control panel distinction is a bit irritating, but you just get used to typing "control panel" into the search bar instead of clicking settings.

3. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I haven't checked it out yet as I too had heard bout various bugs that should be ironed out beforehand. I'll put it on my laptop soon to check it out. Since you seem to have multiple systems as well you could try it out on the least important system you have.

4. TheGamingPhysicist

TheGamingPhysicist Squib

That's what I thought I might wait then until it becomes stable enough not to worry whether or not my system will spontaneously shut down or crashes, especially when I have experimental report and dissertation that needs 24/7 amendments to it. It's understandable why it's free, they need genie pigs (beta tester) to find the bugs.

5. weiyaoli

weiyaoli Third Year

Personally I've had several issues when I upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10. I don't particularly regret it, since I'd take pretty much anything over the mess of the home screen that is Win 8, but do keep in mind there are still a few annoying issues that have yet to be sorted out.

My major one was not being able to open the start menu/notifications, and that hasn't seem to have been fixed yet.

6. justsomepeople2

justsomepeople2 Squib DLP Supporter

I'm still pissed about these forced restarts so it can update to a newer version.

Fuck you Microsoft.

7. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

I upgraded from 7 to 10.

I really like it. Updating to it was painless I even fell asleep during it. There are some new features that are pretty cool like the new search function for settings. Virtual desktops look like they could be useful. And I love the boot up, it's so much faster. Oh and the new look is pretty cool. I like the mix between the old school 7 style and the newer Metro 8 look.

I've never really had any major bugs either.

8. Styx0444

Styx0444 Minister of Magic

If you care in the least about privacy, don't. If you consider privacy to be that stupid thing weird people on the internet are always going on about, then I've heard it's a pretty solid OS.

The thing to keep in mind is that updates are forced, and Microsoft plans to make most of it's money out of the corporate version, which is subscription based and doesn't have forced updates. This means that you're going to be the beta-tester for all the stupid shit, and that stuff will be barely tested first because you barely matter as a customer. The beta-testing is probably also a large reason for part of all the spying, though I'm sure there's half a dozen other reasons.

If you like what you have now, I'd wait three/four months and look into it then. This is still pretty early into 10.

9. TheGamingPhysicist

TheGamingPhysicist Squib

Thanks for informing me. I've started downloading it because the privacy isn't as much as issue to me. I've got nothing to hide, all my history is probably in the hands of the government or ISP company anyway. Is it true that it's last windows OS that they're making?

10. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

Why don't you turn it off then? You can set it so it asks you when to restart your system.

I've been using it since the pre-release and it is working fine, took a while for some of my daily tools to be updated (Actual Multiple Monitors...) but other than that it's working fine

11. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh so you can have a little control over the forced restarts? That's good to hear - that was the main reason I've been shying away from Win10.

12. Styx0444

Internet history, sure. But everything you type, in email or word processor? Every program you use? All your pictures? Are you really okay with them selling all of your information or doing whatever they want to everything on your PC? The government wishes it had this kind of full coverage. And I guess it kind of does, since the privacy agreement lets Microsoft turn it over to anyone they want for any reason.

I mean, do what you want, but I can't understand how people aren't freaking out about this shit more. Sure, every company is doing it, but it's not like they're gonna stop if you act like it's okay.

Supposedly it's the last full OS they're going to make, as in complete overhaul. Now it's going to be in installments, like apple does, and you'll probably get to pay for those instead. Assuming they don't just hand out free 'upgrades' from now on, since the home user isn't really the intended audience anymore.

13. justsomepeople2

justsomepeople2 Squib DLP Supporter

Huh, thanks. I remember the last time I checked I couldn't figure it out, but maybe I'm just an idiot.

14. carvell

carvell Professor DLP Supporter

Use it often enough and it appears in the most used catagory then I just clicked and dragged it to the taskbar, instant shortcut.

15. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

You can find it under All Apps->Windows System

From there, just right click and choose to pin it to your start. Makes things much faster/easier. You can also pin it to your taskbar if you prefer that.

16. Mister Ferro

Mister Ferro High Inquisitor

The method I use is right-clicking the windows button and click on Control Panel.

17. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

Thanks, didn't know about that.

As for the OS, to me it's basically a perfect combination of Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. There are still some bugs and a few things I don't like about it (the forced restarts and the new settings app, but I can use the control panel for that).

The privacy can be somewhat modified and you can turn off mostly everything Microsoft is using to collect information. But I don't really care that much either way.

Gotta love the new start menu and search though. The only big disappointment was Edge, but perhaps the next big update is going to fix that.

18. salts

salts Third Year

I turned off most of the privacy settings on the control panel. Sure, the odds are that my data is still being sent somewhere and stored, but hey, my ignorance is still peace of mind...

Side note, does anyone actually use Cortana?

19. Styx0444

Ah, the 'not going to the doctor means I'm not sick' school of privacy protection. Whatever works for you, man.

20. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I upgraded to 10 on my primary desktop, and I'm pleased enough with it. Games still run well enough, boot time is faster, there are a few other bells and whistles that smooth over the rougher edges of 8 and 8.1.