1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows 10, good or bad?

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by TheGamingPhysicist, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I must be the only person who feels like his boot time is slower With Win10.

It used to be 9~ secs on Win7, but I haven't timed 10 yet.

As for the privacy thing, I suggest Ultimate Windows Tweaker, link is in the other Win10 thread.

This turns off all data being sent to microsoft, or anywhere else.

Of course this means you can't use Cortana or use smart features that require the computer to learn your habbits, but I'm ok with this. I only really want to be able to browse the web and play the games I want to play.

2. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

I use her from time to time, usually if I'm too bored to stand up. I can just say "Hey cortana, play some music", and she's going to turn on the Groove Music app and shuffle all my music.

Other than that, she's pretty useless. Except for reminders and some searches, if you're too bored to type.

3. starblazer

starblazer Squib

High Score:
    I upgraded my main desktop, am happy with it so far. Holding off on upgrading my laptop because I've heard of driver issues. You might want to check out how well your computer is supported on Windows 10, and especially by your computer manufacturer.

4. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I use cortana on my phone quite a bit. But not on my computer. On the phone, it's actually really handy. I just don't really see the need for it on a computer, unless you have win10 on a HTPC and can say, "Cortana, play XYZ movie, and then sit back and relax.

5. Starwind

Starwind Headmaster

Continuum feature looked really good, didnt think it would need the adapter to work tho.

6. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

What do you use her for on the phone? Because the only thing I actually use her on the phone is for music searches and reminders. Don't really see more use though.

7. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Getting directions.

Setting appointments.

Setting an alarm.

internet searching.

Annoying my wife with Cortana's jokes.

Texting.

Dialing.

Etc.

A lot of it is done while I'm driving in the car that doesn't have a blutooth connection.

8. Tartarus

Tartarus Second Year

That makes a lot of sense, must be very useful for driving. The problem with directions I have is that she doesn't understand the pronunciation of Slovenian places, I guess that makes here a lot more useful in America. The same goes for calling people as mostly everyone in my contacts has a slovenian name and texting since I don't text in English.

9. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    LOL, yeah, I can see how that'd be a problem. Supposedly, however, there's a way for her to learn all that, and its all stored in onenote files.