1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Winter 2016 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Pure Infinity, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I think the english translation has been out of order, some sites says chapter 41 and skips to 44, others 42 and skips to 44. We are missing chapter 43, which seems to be the
    final confrontation.

2. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah, people were complaining about that, but-

Oh no.

Oh no.

I just looked at the manga site I was reading. Chapters 42 and 43 are missing. I didn't even fucking notice.

No wonder the finale was crap. It's missing.

It's been ERASED.
    Just kill me.

3. zentradi

zentradi First Year

High Score:
    I'm pissed severe about Genocidal Organ, Rebuild of Evangelion 4 and Cencoroll 2 STILL NOT HAVINH BEEN RELEASED!

4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm still waitin' for Evangelion 3.0 to come out legally somewhere so I can watch it. ._.

5. zentradi

zentradi First Year

High Score:
    It's already there :) :D

6. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Right now I would even accept a date like 2018, if only it would be guaranteed to come out then. It's all forgiven if Anno delivers with his Godzilla though.

7. zentradi

zentradi First Year

High Score:
    I'd have problems believing his dates, though, after all the shit he pulled.

8. Celestin

After 10th episode of Erased I'm pretty confident they can finish it within last 2. They are cutting out a lot of stuff, but they have a clear focus on what's important and what's not for Satoru's story.

Unfortunately that means we will not get anything from the chapters that are from Satoru's mom and the murderer's point of view. Like 37th which additionally has a very nice twist in a narrative though it would be very tricky to do it in an Anime.

My only serious doubts are about Kayo not being back, but it may actually end up being improvement over the manga depending how they handle it. Spoilers.

Their "final" talk in the past is important, but if they move it to the present, it's gives their relationship a lot better closure than the one the original had. In the manga her final appearance was almost a cameo which was a little weird considering how important was her character up to that point.

9. Celestin

As expected 11th episode felt quite rushed even with all the changes they made, but with them included the last episode should have more room to breath.

Since I'm not a big fan of the amnesia arc, I can't say it's a big loss for the adaptation, but overall I would add one more episode to slow down the action and include more of the killer's origin. Other than that I'm fine with the rest of the changes.

How they handle the final confrontation will be the deciding factor in judging the series.

Some people's reactions to adult Kayo's meeting with Satoru are really amusing.

EDIT: I forgot about the best part of the episode, its opening. In hindsight it was an obvious thing to do, but I really liked it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Digimon Adventure Tri, the first four episodes were pretty good. However, episodes 5-8 were hugely disappointing.

Even the excellent animation and the nostalgia driven addiction to the digivolution scenes and seeing new megalevels didn't save this one. Felt like such a disjointed mess. As if someone else took over for those 4 episodes.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you want your nostalgia fix, do like me and play Cyber Sleuth. You can get Beelzemon/BM.

That's all that matters.

12. Poytin

Poytin The Arby's Hipster DLP Supporter

You can only get BM if you pre-ordered. But yeah. Great game.

13. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What? I didn't pre order...

14. Celestin

Erased ended and fortunately the last episode didn't disappoint, even if the final confrontation is nothing like in the manga.

Overall, while I would include more few more things and extend the series by 3 episodes, it did live up to the hype for me. I will need to put it somewhere in my top 10 anime, though probably closer to 10 than 1.

15. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

To be honest, I was a bit meh about the Erased ending. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad or anything, but it seemed a bit lackluster when compared to the rest of the story. Every single episode up until the last two episodes was amazing crafted, with every single scene packed full of interesting character exploration. Whether it be scenes of friends hanging out, trying to help Kayo or intense cliffhangers.

But the last two episodes just felt like your typical anime ending. Scenes didn't mesh together well. There seemed like a lack of structure in the episodes. It emotionally and tension wise fell flat.

Still a fantastic anime, but I guess I was hoping for more.

On another note, I only ended up watching Haikyuu, Iron Blooded Orphans and Erased this season so far (got distracted smashing through both seasons of Kingdom, and then continuing in the manga).

What else did people end up finishing? What was good?

16. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash was/is pretty decent. Sooooo slow though, and chock full of melodrama.

Kono Subarashii and Musaigen are both pretty entertaining. Basically just comedies. No substance.

Erased really is miles ahead of everything else the season had to offer.

17. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

After watching at least the first episode of almost everything, the only shows I'm finishing are Erased, Rakugo, KonoSuba, Musaigen, and HaruChika. Of these, I'd only comfortably call Erased and Rakugo good, although I enjoyed everything I finished.

Rakugo is my AOTS.