1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

~/* Witchhunt Game 3 *\~ (DRAW)

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by KaiDASH, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Well, I'm glad we drew this (not a total loss), but ugh, I definitely have part of the blame.

Sorry, guys.

---------- Post automerged at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

@font: The burning couch.

2. Zeitgeist

Zeitgeist High Inquisitor

Congrats to font for the pretending to kill Proph play. If it weren't for that, I probably would've shoved a lynch down her throat since fontisian/Luckylee/Rubicon/BD were my reads since Day 2.

Also, I guess this proves that fake!aggression is often... fake!aggression, as fontisian exemplified. :)

Also, this game shows that my reads are good but my arguments are usually terrible. Vira, sorry for the lynch! But at least we both outlasted Luckylee! :)

3. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's not saying much. D:

4. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

This has been bothering me for a while, so this isn't just directed at soundly.

At the end of games or in observer qts, people will come in and comment of how poorly townies played, with the implication that the speaker would have done so much better in their place. It occasionally makes a fun read through, but more often than not, it’s pure ego stroking on behalf of the poster and abuse towards the players.

Yes, the town reacted poorly in this case (and I killed several people who could have reacted well), but the truth wasn't nearly as obvious as anyone who was not alive in the game thinks. There are times with Luckylee in OTR levels of fail. This is not one of those times. In this case, a couple townies failed to look at my motivations and run the numbers. It happens, and now they can learn from the experience. Go ahead and point out what they did wrong, but don't you dare abuse their play as a whole over it. Scumhunting is fucking hard. If it wasn't, I wouldn't bother playing.

So, here’s my challenge to everyone (including myself) who is guilty of this kind of dickish behavior: Stick to constructive criticism, hold back the ego inflating statements about "obvious" scum and put your money where your mouth is, or GTFO.
    /end rant

Oh, and well done to CPi and blab. I really wanted you both dead.

5. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yeah, good game scum. Especially Font. And sorry for the lynch, Vira <_<

6. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

To be fair, it was every living player except blab who failed, not only in analysing your initial motivations, but every single action you made on later days as well.

Also, putting you on a similar level of townfirm as Moridin, who could have literally won the game as scum on night 4 is super crazy.

So it wasn't just a single, isolated error, it was a chain of errors made by essentially every living player, for the entire endgame.

7. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Agreed - I had a couple of chances with my role but I threw it away in hopes of giving town an extra lynch rather than going with my gut.

This game was the final stake in the coffin after a series of horrid town performances by me on not trusting my reads and being confident in them. I'm going to stick to my guns more often now, I hope.

---------- Post automerged at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 PM ----------

(also, does anyone want me to run a Micro again, to get us through the time period where this game ends and Riley's game begins?)

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think what we should really be taking from this is the idea that maybe we should lynch scummy people. We as a group seem to ascribe scum a kind of omnipotence, no matter who they are. Doesn't matter if the scum group is made of the four worst players on the forum; to town they will always be nigh omniscient masters of deception.

If we just looked at the players, determined who was scummiest and then lynched them, I bet town would win a lot more often. Being scum does not make you a better player. Also, meta is a bad thing. Always.

9. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I'm down for it, probably got 2-3 weeks before Riley's game. /pre-in

10. blab

blab Second Year

@fontisian: I don't think my name deserves to be mentioned next to ChoPi's, who basically solved the game in half a Day. And others weren't too shabby, either:

Uncle Stojil's play was uncannily good, especially for so early in the game.

Sesc did good, too.

Proph called the scumteam pretty early, though he broke my heart day 6:
    Proph: I have a feeling that this is some desperate last-minute scum!ploy.
    blab: *yes that's what I'm thinking!* posts reasoning... That means font is scum, right, guys?
    then argues with the entire rest of town + fontisian on whether fontisian would do that. though secretly waits on town-firmed Proph to agree with me
    Proph: I do not think fontisian would shoot me as claimed DOB.
    blab: </3 ... I'll trust your combined experience, I guess.

I think I forgot what I originally wanted to say. Eh, I enjoyed this game, despite only replacing in. Thanks for playing with me, you all

11. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Proph, start up a micro. Killing time before Riley's game would be great.

---------- Post automerged at 02:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:53 AM ----------

Lewl, I find it funny that you're the one saying this considering you keep getting Lynched D1 as town :p

12. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

I think the real reason town didn't win is because they lacked conviction.

Prophylaxis called 3/4 of the scum team in his opening post, and had a strong meta/gut read on fontisian - then he started to doubt himself and got talked out of it. blab made a perfectly logical point that killing Prophylaxis was one of the best plays fontisian could have made at the time. Then he (very reluctantly) let himself be talked out of it, saying something like "I'll bow to your collective experience." Moridin let himself be talked out of the Assassin plan which would have won the game.

This:

is true, but it wouldn't have been enough on its own to lose this game after the work CPi put into solving it. What lost the game is that the people who did think it through either didn't trust their own analyses enough or didn't push hard enough to convince others.

13. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I know. Day 1 is always a problem for me. If I get past that I generally prove my towniness quite well.

---------- Post automerged at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

In other words, on a forum full of arrogant dicks, we don't have enough arrogant dicks. :p

14. Lexicat

Lexicat Second Year

Did someone say something about Day 1? :3 (I'm currently writing up the first of many large mafia posts, and this one is about the importance of Day 1, and how to play it as both alignments.)

15. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

Day 1 is probably my most favorite mafia day ever.

You get to poke people around fearlessly and see them claim scum on their first post:

16. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

I love Day 1 as town. As scum, it's a bit stressful.

17. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Mafia theory. How boring.

Snatching a draw from the jaws of victory. ~just town things~

18. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

You know eido, para said exactly the same thing on IRC (snatching defeat from the jaws of victory).