1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Can someone copypasta the content? It won't load on my comp for some reason.

2. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Here ya go:

3. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

Now I have to re-read skin games. I don't remember him and Thomas being on speaking terms (or at least in contact enough for it).

4. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Thomas wasn't really in Skin Games. But they made made up in Cold Days.

5. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

They spoke during Cold Days, and basically made nice. Thomas visited a few times during his year in exile on Demonreach. But he was absent from Skin Game.

EDIT: Fucking ninja'd.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Eh I am personally not a really big fan of the whole child angle. In my opinion it simply doesn´t really work well with how the books are structured (2-3 days are simply not enough to really do justice to such a relationship) and the also burden the cast with even more characters (which is something DF really doesn´t need) while being not that important useful. (Other than for the chlichee Super dad rescues kid scenes). I can barely tolerate the Magaret scenes and don´t think that having another child around will improve the situation in any way.

Simply put- For me the DF were always primarily an action series and that simply doesn´t work well with the whole family theme Butcher has been building the last few books.

7. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Life happens, man. Be a bit weird if kids didn't pop up given how the books focus on a man going through life. Kids happen. Having them happen to main characters is a bit new, but I find I like it for that.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Yeah. I think one of the reasons that the series might be so popular compared to other series is because things change. Harry grows from (approx) 25 to 40, learns new things, has shit happen to him & around him that completely screws with the status quo, etc.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be fun to just have each book be an action-mystery. It /would/ be fun. But it wouldn't be the Dresden Files. For me it'd just be some series that was fun to read when bored, not a series that I will re-arrange my entire week for when the release is coming up just so I can read the book in one feverish go the instant it's released and available.

There's things I like and don't like about the series (I'm neutral on the kids), but in the end so long as we keep an over-arching plot with lots of character growth, nuances, and foreboding of the apocalypse... I'll be happy. And that means putting up with insert-your-series-pet-peeve here, because without it it wouldn't feel as real.

9. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I just don't see how half-crazy Justine and White Court Vampire Thomas having a kid would be a good idea. I'm pretty sure Thomas would sort of agree on this one. Not sure if I want abortion to be a topic discussed in Dresden Files and I can't see how it can't be discussed, all things considered.

But I agree with Ched on the progression thing. Then again, I don't exactly want Dresden to be getting too old either. Last I heard, Wizards supposedly age till about 50-ish and then it stops. Which makes little sense and, if true, is something I'm going to ignore the hell out of in any fic I ever write.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  10. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

I have nothing against change- for example I like how Dresden develops as a character. the various new plots and factions introduced etc. I have nothing against Dresden becoming the WK, him moving away or how his relationships change. (With the expection of of Murphy).
    I simply dislike the whole children/family theme especially because how Dresden reacts to it/how Butcher writes it. I also don´t see it anything really substantial to the story/only detracting for the stuff I would like to see (white Council, Winter Court, Molly, etc)

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I'm not particularly fond of the family stuff, but at the same time, it's not exactly being constantly shoved in our faces, so getting upset over it seems a bit much.

12. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

To my understanding, it's less that wizards stop aging at 50ish and more that they keep aging but without their systems breaking down like normal people. It's presumably an extension of the same effect that allowed Dresden to keep his hand after it got barbecued.

As for Thomas and Justine having a kid, I'm entirely ambivalent over it. I could see it easily going poorly, but I kinda like Maggie so I can't honestly say I object to it on principle.

13. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Now seems like a good time to get all the Peace Talks stuff in one place. To start with, the basics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So yay.

Now, what we know:

Source: Dragon Con 2014.

Source: Seattle Q&A.

Source.

Source.

14. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

So, this isn't Word of God in the strict sense, but it seemed relevant enough to post here. As everyone probably knows, Evil Hat Productions made the Dresden Files RPG a few years back, which covered events up to--IIRC--Small Favor. What some of you may not know is that they've been working on a Supplement to that titled the Paranet Papers, which should cover things up to the beginning of Ghost Story in addition to a lot of other stuff. As a preview, they released the awesome Las Vegas chapter of the book for free, which you can get here. It's flat-out amazing and really got my creative juices flowing, such that I've already hammered out ideas for my next story involving it, though it'll have to wait until after I finish TGWP.

The rest of the book will include the following:

It's currently scheduled for release in Q1, 2015, and we recently got some news supporting that:

Look forward to it, guys.

15. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Because of how human characters are starting to age (especially Murphy though her recent injures might already taken her out of the fight), I suspect it will be similar with the remaining books. And it makes sense for events to speed up because of the upcoming end of the world.

Maybe we will finally meet Drakul.

16. Zeelthor

Probably. He's a considerable power, apparently, a peer of Mab. We haven't seen a damn thing from him, which is interesting. Question remains what he's actually responsible for, if anything... And what he does and where.

Considering Kincaid is a scion of some sort and the way he looks to Harry's sight, is he a scion of Drakul? Seems logical to me.

The Red Court won't be around, alas, but if this really is a gathering of all the supernatural powers, we might actually get to see some of the surviving upper echelons of the black court. On one hand, they might be smart to stay away. On the other, if Mab "asks" them to show I suppose declining might offend her.

Which would, I'd say, shorten their unlives considerably.

17. True Story

True Story Third Year

Peace Talks due to editor in September, acc to Jim's twitter. Wonder what this means for potential release.

18. Zeelthor

January? December?

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Goodreads lists expected date at 10th May 2016.

I am very disappointed.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Balls. I thought it was due out September.