1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

1) Did you read the Murphy interactions in Skin Game vs. the Molly ones? Hell, Molly was barely in that book.

2) She's not paralyzed, she was expected to recover fairly well. It's just that Nick doesn't pull punches.

3) Should we take this to mean that when Harry's hand got crispy fried, it was because Jim swore off masturbation?

Sometimes, bad things happen to good people. Michael, Harry, Susan, Murphy, Molly, Morgan, etc. Shit happens.

2. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I was sure I read an interview before where Jim states that Murphy is going to be in bad shape for a long time. Paralysed is probably a bit much but hey, that's the fanboy in me.

3. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Keep the OTP dream alive. :D

But yeah, a fucked knee takes a lot of time to heal.

4. Tarquinn

Tarquinn Second Year DLP Supporter

In the short story after Changes she is offered a job with Odin's Troupe, they must have pretty good healthcare.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  5. DonfatherBrooks

DonfatherBrooks Squib

His original deadline was January apparently which he missed no idea when it will be done.

6. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Peace Talks Chapter 1 was released to the kickstarter contributors today. I've been trying to find a place where I can read it but I've had no luck so far.

The first chapter is Thomas telling Harry that Justine is pregnant

7. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I just.. can't care.

That makes me really sad.

I have no fucks to give since we already had a book opening with Dresden having a 5 year old daughter.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, I feel like I haven't had any reason to well, care about Thomas in any way for quite a while.

9. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Since Harry died, really. No, since the skinwalker. Stuff happens to him off screen--breaking down, rebuilding himself anruptly, having threesomes--but nothing that seems to matter. He was minor in Changes, absent in Ghost Story, very minor in Cold Days, and absent in Skin Game.

Its hard to really care at this point. Sure, stuff happened in the four years he's spent offscreen, but...so?

10. Raiko

Raiko Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

I couldn't care less about Thomas having a daughter. I just want more Dresden Files to read. I felt Butcher did a bad job with Maggie so I'm not particularly drawn to Thomas having a kid. The "Will you be my daddy" scene that supposedly had people on the internet bawling was completely over the top cheesy.

11. Zeelthor

The problem is that this simply HAS to bring up the abortion debate. Seriously, the kid is going to be part demon and is very likely to be killing someone. If ever there was a good reason not to have a child, that is it.

Not sure why Maggie would be such a problem and though Cold Days had some issues, I feel they were mainly fixed in Skin Game. Except for Jedi!Butters.

Hopefully he dies horribly soon and Peace Talks is awesome.

12. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

It's pretty bad someone like Ivy, who has has - what? 2 real appearances? - gets so much love, and Thomas, who has been in about half the books, gets so little. But then again, he's been a massive douche half the time.

Also, Zeelthor, kill Butters? What the hell, man? Any dude who manages to land Andi deserves a little respect.

13. Zeelthor

Thomas gets a lot of fics... It's just that they're almost always slashfics with Dresden and fuck that. ^^

As for Butters. I like the character, really, but that he survive Nicodemus was bullshit as far as I'm concerned. A noble death would've made more sense.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

That depends. Did he do it on his own or it was just another thing given to him by the Powers That Be? :p

15. funkytoad

funkytoad Fifth Year

If chapter 1 leaks, any rules here that say we can't post the link to it?

16. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

I don't get this. The newest Knight of the Cross enjoyed some divine intervention in his favor. How is this an issue? That's kinda how the Knights have always worked.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Honestly, Thomas had some pretty fucking heavy shit happen to him with the Skinwalker. That's the kind of shit that changes you. I can understand him being distant for a few years after that.

As for Justine being pregnant… it all comes down to execution really. We'll see how it turns out I guess.

18. Zeelthor

There is divine intervention and there is stupid. I don't mind he idea of Nicodemus backing off, but all he had to do was tell his goons to open fire. Even if his plan was to escape, that would have made more sense.

I have a feeling this will annoy me less later on... But it just doesn't make sense.

19. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Because Lightsaber and because Butters is trashfriend.

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I don't have a problem with Butters within the story, exactly. But from a meta perspective it felt like Butcher indulged a whim when he made Butters a knight.

I think Butters was originally planned to be a one-off character, but then people liked him so he grew into more. He became the 'doctor' who insisted he wasn't a doctor and patched people up from encounters with the supernatural. He was a geek who meshed well with Bob and started tinkering with magic gadgets.

I liked all of that, because it seemed like a logical place for his character to go given how he was introduced. But making him a Knight felt like it was shoe-horned into the narrative, like Butcher wanted Butters to have had more of a character arc than he'd actually had. Or something.