1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Word of God Thread.

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Ryuugi Shi, Mar 28, 2010.

1. Portus

Portus Heir

I must know even less about TDF than I thought. I didn't realize the Gatekeeper was some appointed position; I assumed it was his decision, or maybe something he was uniquely qualified for, and not directly related to Outside, etc.

On the other hand, this thread is getting me stoked for the new book.

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@Portus -- honestly I don't know. My assumption was that it may or may not be an appointed position, but that someone always has to do it. I mean, if there are gates, and if they are as dangerous as they have been implied to be, someone has to keep an eye on them.

That moreso than the Blackstaff though seems like something someone would have to be trained for. I don't think we know much about it yet. I'm curious if "dying" is going to give Harry some new insight there. Probably not, but possible.

Also stoked for next book :awesome

3. Ryuugi Shi

Ryuugi Shi Hierarch

Also, when asked about it, Jim once stated that, while the Blackstaff protects Eb from the direct effects of using Black Magic, by the definition of Magic, he cannot do anything that he does not believe to be completely correct and right.

Which, considering what he's done, sort of calls his goodness into question.

Similarly, while Harry's resisted the darkside many times, he's also given in a time or two as well. Generally for good reasons, but...

4. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Huge argument between Jim and some bitch with backwards priorities on his Twitter account. Some fan got uppity because zomg Real Chicago isn't exactly like Dresdenverse Chicago and then promptly accused him of being scared of black people. After much defending himself against this chick about how "Fuck you, Jim Butcher" and "You're just scared of black people" are indeed personal attacks and not constructive criticism of his books I tweeted him a joke about scoping out Cleveland before I wrote anymore of my story and got this response:

"Hell, it's getting to where I question the wisdom of continuing writing anything that isn't completely fantastical."

Methinks Angry Jim Butcher is Angry.

5. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

I don't see the point. Butcher says that a certain part of the city is bad and he gets jumped on not because he's wrong... but because he's right? What the fuck?

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Read up on the whole thing, and now I'm just depressed that these kind of fuckwits are the kind of people that catch Butcher's ear.

Sanya, Martha Liberty and Stallings, just off the top of my head.

7. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

You assume these people made it past the first book. I've been looking up some of the accusations being thrown around there and it seems a lot of people dumped the series after the first book because the series was apparently sexist.

But beyond the whiny fucking babies who posted that shit it was the white guilt-bitch on his Twitter that got me pissed.

So basically because Jim was born white he now has to put up with a whole bunch of bullshit from people who are supposedly justified in their hatred and for some reason can't find more creative outlets.

But I'm glad he took a breath and calmed down, because while Jim is generally a very articulate guy, there's just no arguing with some people.

Goddammit I'm praying that Sanya didn't die in Ghost Story, the shitstorm would be epic... on second thought :awesome

8. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

I actually heard that sexist thing just the other day. I was recommending the books to a girl I know who has a lot of the same taste in literature as I do, and she said something along the lines of 'I'm not gonna read a book about a character who spends half the time staring down the shirt of some girl in a bar.'

9. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

Some people just can't be helped.

10. Scrib

Scrib The Chosen One

It's funny, there are so many complaints about that when there's a more clear-cut (read:valid) case of sexism throughout the entire first trilogy. It has to be with...oh, I don't know Harry being a chauvinist,or something small like that.

How Harry noticing females is sexist I don't know, but then again I'm not a female who has to read descriptions of sexually threatening girls.

Goddamnit, now I thinking about Ghost Story again, which I had managed to avoid :facepalm.Fuck it, back to counting days...

11. LittleChicago

LittleChicago Headmaster DLP Supporter

Not sure what to say here...

To me, racism would be casting all members of a particular ethnic group in a negative light, or another only in a positive. As it stands, most of the bad guys in the series as a whole have been white. Many have been rich. A few were even authority figures.

The basis of the arguement seems to stem from a single passage - unless she makes further reference to others, which I did not see.

She does say JB seems to just ignore all the black people in Chicago - thing is, he's also ignoring any Middle Eastern, Asian, Native American, or other groups, too. In fact, he rarely makes mention of people's enthicity at all, whether they are black or white or any other shade. When he does, it's in an initial description, then no deal is made after that.

Just stating my opinion: Drawing attention to the differences between people is a very good way to keep them segregated, and to keep the fact and issue of racism itself alive. If Harry walked around pointing out and counting how many black or white or yellow or red or green or purple people he saw, JB would never get to the damn story.

So, he doesn't mention it. And you know what? Until she drew attention to it, I hadn't thought about it. Simply had not occurred to me. When I'm reading a book, it's for the tale being told, not the colour of the person telling it.

Reminding everyone of the things that seperate us is a very good way to keep us seperated. And accusing an author of racism because he didn't draw attention to how many black people he saw in a neighbourhood doesn't help the situation. How many readers thought Harry was a racist for NOT doing anything against minorities?

As I said above, most of the villains in the series are white. If they were all black, the original poster would have a valid, positivist arguement. But you can't accuse someone of negative racism (ie, being racist for NOT mentioning minorties). If that were the case, ANY story taking place ANYWHERE that didn't mention the exact (and, of course, 100% accurate and real) socioeconomic statistics of the setting would be an inherently racist work.

Yes, JB glosses over a few things, ignores people, and doesn't generally get the geography right. He doesn't know Chicago, has never claimed to. He just tells stories. I don't hear the cartographers getting mad. A mistake of location can be frustrating for someone who knows the area, but mostly it's just something to roll your eyes at. He made a mistake; you can call him out. Hell, he'll even own up to it - see the Wrigley Field Parking Lot Debacle.

But saying Butcher is a racist because he didn't draw attention to black people, when he has never done anything overtly cruel, undermining or viscious to black people or any other minority group, but rather doesn't treat blacks, browns, whites, or any other shade of skin as a seperate group at all?

Well, someone in this debate is reminding folks that skin is an issue, by making it an issue.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  12. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Jim Butcher is racist? Didn't see that coming, but the we have things in DF books like the war between the White Council and the Black Council. The first one is an ancient, established organization mainly ruled by white, old people that that oppress anyone who disagree with it. The second one is hiding in a shadow and fighting for their freedom to use black (evil) magic. Yes, it all makes sense now.

(For anyone having doubts - yes, it's sarcasm).

Also, this reminds me of a joke - "I hate racist people. I hate them almost as much as I hate people with a different skin color than myself." ;)

13. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

"I'm not racist. I love all races, particularly white people."

(Dame Edna, for those playing along at home)

14. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Completely agree with Jim on this one. Oh wait, LittleChicago, sorry.

Still, is it really that big of a deal that one idiot said stupid shit? I would think that Butcher gets more stupid mail from people asking if his story is related to HP than anything else. Seems strange that this one got through.

15. Mindless

Mindless Big Boss DLP Supporter

No, you were right.

16. LittleChicago

Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Berkeley Hunt [​IMG]
    Completely agree with Jim on this one. Oh wait, LittleChicago, sorry.

Oh, gods dammit...

17. Portus

Portus Heir

I think you mean "Hell's Bells" or " Stars and Stones," Jim.

18. LittleChicago

... :facepalm

You're right, of course.

19. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Since I don't think it's stated in books, this is probably a good thread to asks about it - how old are the oldest wizards in DF?

20. LittleChicago

'Ancient' Mai - generally thought to be one of the oldest wizards alive - is, according to WOJ, 'over 400.'