1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

So, I just bought the first disk and Burning Crusade, I preordered Cataclysm and I'm awaiting a paycheck to get Wrath of the Lich King.

My question is; is there anyone out there still playing this, if so, any advice for a newcomer?

P.S. I started as a Draenei Hunter. Name: Baeden, look me up if you want.

2. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I just picked it up again actually, just playing casually on weekends when I have nothing better to do though.

Tips and tricks for a newcomer is to make friends, explore the world and let the rest come naturally. Unless you are a complete retard you'll have a pretty good feel for your class when you hit levelcap. After that there's always someone else theorycrafting about your class that you can leech off. (Unless you are a paranoid perfectionist, but that won't really matter unless your high-tier pve/pvp).

Hunter as a choice for a first class is pretty solid. Easy to play, funnier than most to level in my opinion. I am leveling a hunter at the moment myself, I personally found Beast Master the most smooth specialization to run with, but all three works.

Quickest way to level, though I don't know if that's what I'd want to do if I was leveling my first character is through the lfg system, atleast past level 15ish when the first dungeon is available. It's quick, but you miss a lot of lore and game interaction.

Oh, and as a hunter leveling you want items with Agility and Crit. Other than that, try to find a leveling guild on your server and make some in-game friends, unless you'r already playing with someone. It'll make it much more enjoyable.

3. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

First piece of advice, have a lot of free time, it's highly addicting despite that there is really no point to it. Second piece of advice would be too not get too attached to any of your early characters, play around with every race and type to see what you like, they're all a bit different and you'll find you enjoy different things. Third piece would be remember that it's supposed to be fun, if you find yourself getting frustrated on quests give it a break, you may find it hard to believe, but it can get annoying and frustrating pretty easily and you'll find yourself very reluctant to stop playing.

This http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=3506&highlight=warcraft should give you a better idea of who is playing on DLP, although it is a rather old thread. I'm actually thinking about picking it up for a bit of winter break, and I'll let you know if I do.

4. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

Pretty much hit it on the head.

The only issue is what you want to do when you hit the level cap. There's the PvE path which is raiding which involves applications to any semi-decent guilds and which you have anywhere between 10 and 25 players beating down bosses for their lewts. Cool bit of it is actually killing Warcraft 1, 2, 3 characters (eg. Illidan and Arthas).

The other path is PvP where you play arenas of 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. Generally your target is to hit the top nth percentile awarding you with titles such as Challenger, Duelist and Gladiator.

You could do both; but to excel at either of them takes time and effort. Optionally you could just level alts but doing just that won't allow you to experience all the fun that is end game content.

If you ever feel like making a hordie, hit me up on Silvermoon US.

EDIT: And imo; if you're in University or other such activity which restricts your play time; I'd suggest play a class that can perform at least 2 roles such as healing and dpsing. That way you don't have to level a completely new toon if you get bored of your pure dps class.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  5. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

i'm on Silvermoon too been here since 04 but im Alliance lol.

6. Kthr

Kthr Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I've been dying to buy wow with the 20$ sale for the game plus the two first expansions, but the knowledge that I'll never graduate college if I do(shit is hellish addicting) is keeping me from buying it.

Hopefully november 30th will come before my resolve crumbles.

7. BsuperB

BsuperB Headmaster

Best time to have picked it up, in my opinion Riley.

Just had the Shattering, so Blizzard have revamped all the quests from level 1 - 60, so all the rewards are now actually useful to you, not just items to be sold to a vendor.

As for advice, I play a Hunter myself at top end PvE (as previously mentioned) just having downed the 'End-Game' boss on Heroic in 10 man raids, it probably means nothing to you but it's about time for us after a month of bad luck & the recent bugs with, well, for those who know it, combat resses'.

Still, explore, make a few friends, join a levelling, sociable Guild if you can. Take Beast Mastery for optimal levelling once you reach level 10, but feel free to take another talent tree & have a go. Most importantly, just have fun, it's easily done to say you'll spend an hour & 6 hours later you're still saying "Just one more quest."

Have fun!

Oh, and i'm on EU servers so, daresay I won't be playing with you.

Garnesh, Quel'Thalas (EU) anyway, for those curious, Dwarf Hunter.

8. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Necro'ing because it doesn't deserve a new thread. Apparently, Blizzard releases a new expansion for the game: Mists of Pandaria.

Trailer here.

And the first unofficial wallpaper (you'll understand after watching the trailer).

[​IMG]

9. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Looks ugly and the concept is retarded.

10. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The trolliest expansion.

Yeah. Not too sad that I stopped playing a while back. Maybe the next expansion will have something interesting.

11. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

First time I've seen youtube likes and dislikes over a Blizzard preview so close to even. I'd love to see Blizzard's reaction to this.

12. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

All of the ideas they are throwing in are things I am interested in, like the redesigned talent trees and the new no-autoattack monk class, but they don't seem like enough to justify an expansion instead of a major content patch.

But...Diablo 3 :awesome

13. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

It reminds me of the Guitar Hero-esque Bard "Official Release"

Unfortunately, they dedicated a lot more time and art-and-animation resources into this one, as the videos will show. Either way, and I know there is no need to point it out but, it's obviously fake if one looks at the Pandaren racial traits, the races available to play Monk(notably excluding only the Goblin and Worgen), and the Pokemon Pet Battle System.

If it was somehow real well... I haven't actually ever played WoW for more than a month and change, and never really liked the game all that much, but this will still be an unfortunate thing to happen to it after all this time.

14. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I am actually surprised that people still play this game. Shouldn't it be pretty stale by now?

15. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Also, and I don't know how significant of a point this is since they are anthropomorphic, but consider PvP, and that you can not kill Pandas(and certain other endangered species) in Chinese games. Chinese players make up a fair contingent of the WoW population these days.

If I recall, that's the reason why the Panda and... a pygmy-Hippopotamus(?)... were removed from the first Guild Wars as Ranger Pets.

16. Churchey

Churchey Supreme Mugwump

Fake? Isn't this straight from Blizzcon?
    And the bard was an april fool's release.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  17. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

Well, it's still a travesty if it is real.

18. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's real, and it's fucking retarded. Also, lol @ blizzard doing the buy a 1 year WoW sub and get Diablo 3 free.

I've been playing reasonably casually lately, but just can't see myself getting MoP. Looks so fucking stupid.

19. Orm Embar

Orm Embar Auror

Pandaren were originally an in-joke for the fans of WC3. Is Blizzard's well of inspiration so dry that they have to arbitrarily create a new content to keep things going? Even worse than the idea of alienating Chinese players by making pandas a playable race is the fact that there's no story to this. Who's the villain? What are the factions DOING on this new continent? If my first and second thoughts upon seeing new content are: "Is this a joke?" then Blizzard is obviously doing it wrong.

20. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Blizzard makes a big deal about how "Since the Burning Crusade everyone playing World of Warcraft is now playing the same game." Puts pandas in the game. Goodbye, Chinese WoW players.

I've been hearing a lot of stuff about how "Everyone really wanted Panderans, it was requested all the time by old WoW players." Is that true? I've never heard of such a thing, but I haven't really paid attention either.