1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Riley, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Mestre

Mestre Professor

T-Rex? Puff.
    I bombed people with buckbeak on moonguard Stronghold.

2. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No you didn't, it was Beakbuck, rofl

3. Teyrn

Teyrn Order Member

All this hype around Legion kind of makes me tempted to get back into WoW... though I quit back before Cataclysm came out.

I'm almost curious if 10000 gold is still a lot...

4. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Haha, I quit after cata, and even I can tell you that it's not.

5. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

Indeed, it's pretty much nothing. I've made 500k since launch not even trying to goldfarm, I've pretty much focused on playing the game and going to skin some mobs while waiting for groups.

Got my fishing artifact yesterday aswell, kind of fun.

6. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

What would you guys suggest for a person who's never played WoW?
    I always wanted to play the game way back when I had freakin dial up and no money. >_>
    I have the money and the internet now, but is it worth paying to play such an old game?
    I love the warcraft lore though. Still play WC3 from time to time just to gothrough the story.

7. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I would kill for a WC4, tbh >_>

Am tempted as well, only played Vanilla WoW a decade ago and then a bit on nostalrius earlier this year. Still, probably a bad idea to get really invested in WoW again. Really tempted though. Watching Geek Remix's streams on twitch and it seems really fun. The game has really changed a lot.

Not sure I like how the speccing and the reducing of techniques is handled though.

8. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

@Trooper - I haven't done much of anything with Legion yet, but I've had an active WoW account from (literally) Day 1.

Personal opinion: Coming in 12 years into the game is still worth it if (1) you enjoy MMOs as a general rule, and (2) you know people in-game to hang out with, message, ask questions, etc.

Some MMOs that I've tried (Final Fantasy, Secret World, Marvel, etc) can give a decent single player experience. Final Fantasy and Secret World feel more like RPGs from the start, but WoW only started to get that feel (in my opinion) in the previous expansion. It's a huge game, it's bloated, and while it would be a fun experience to play solo for a month or two I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to purchase if you don't know anyone to hang out with.

That said, I'm almost positive that you can download and play WoW for free up until level 20 using a Starter Edition.
    So my suggestion is to do that. Download the Starter Version, screw around with the game, enjoy yourself to level 20 (which these days will not take long at all), and then make your decision.

9. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Thanks CheddarTrek
    I think I'll do just that. Download the starter I mean. :)

10. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I did play that a few months ago, and I can't say the first 20 levels were a lot of fun. Granted, the Undead beginning story line was pretty good, way better than the starter quests back in the day, but the levelling itself, on my own, was way too fast and kinda boring.

I mean, you get the skills automatically now, no need to talk to a trainer and it seems nearly impossible to die, making the quests busywork above everything else. Crafting also seems different and I have heard a lot of bad things about those houses you can build for yourself.

That said, a lot of the changes seem cool, the fact that you can earn so many mounts, that the questing system now tells you where to go and stuff more intuitively and that the bag and banking system is a lot more convenient than the mess of vanilla.

I haven't really done any high level raiding, even back in the day, but I never quite liked the idea of 40 man raids (which might be the wrong attitude for an MMORPG) but I like the fact that there seem to be more instances for smaller teams. I mean, five man instances were always a lot of fun.

On of the most fun thing in WoW was, for me, the levelling in areas with a big Alliance presence like in Stranglethorne where we had to constantly fight and deal with lots of higher level assholes who loved corpscamping and stuff. To try to avoid them, to organize a response if things got too out of hand, to have a free for all with people flying in, that was fun as hell. Frustrating at times, sure, but still fun.

Is stuff like that still the case?

I think long story short is, does the lvl 20 experience really give you a good impression of the game? Because you can't do a lot of stuff like forming a party and whatnot, and the questing seems fundamentally different by being too easy.

11. Gengar

High Score:
    The lvl20 experience gives you a feel for how the game look/plays. It's insane to think you'll have a complete picture after a couple hours.

The game is pretty fun to level, especially if you care about lore. The post cata stuff was kinda great.

Game feels and looks old though. You'll not get a wc4, but there'll definitely be a wow2. My guess is maybe after the next expansion (18/19).

12. Myduraz

Myduraz Headmaster DLP Supporter

I've actually not done the post-Cata leveling zones, though as I've gathered it's nowhere near the Legion leveling content in degree of immersion. I'm actually genuinely impressed by the immersive lore in this expansion. The speed of dungeon farming kind of 'ruins' the old school leveling style up to current content.

As for the aesthetics you're spot on, you get the feel this is an old MMORPG, both in the systems, i.e. 'wack-a-mole' healing and tab targeting, as well as the artistic design. However, the very same aesthetics makes it charming, in a cartoonish way. Ultra realistic graphics looks great on release, only to be deemed out of date a year or two down the line.

When it comes to leveling, I'd keep in mind that the 'real' game starts at max level, as opposed to say SWTOR which ends there.

13. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Trooper

I actually had a pretty bad first impression about WoW. The game is old, and the graphics, animations, everything really, shows it. And level 1 when you fight like vanilla Runescape or something and look like trash, it's easy to get the wrong idea. I think I started enjoying the game around level 15, and had no problems questing to max level afterwards. A month or so later, getting into raiding and stuff.

First of all, the leveling experience and max level experience are completely different. Like COMPLETELY different. When leveling, you're just doing quests over and over running from one zone to the next. The standard mmorpg experience. But that's really the prepping phase. WoW = endgame. I know a ton of people who disliked the leveling progress but loved the endgame raiding or pvp or one of the dozen things you can do to spend months on. Basically, you cannot judge the game unless you get to max level. Getting the free trial to level 20 shows you like 0.1% of what the actual game is like.

The game is huge. Bloated, like Cheddar said. And there's frankly an insane amount of content and lore to pick up if you care. Too many expansions, too many things added to kpee things fresh and interesting. But there's something for everyone, thanks to that. The game nowadays caters to the casuals very well, but the highest levels of raiding and pvp are incredibly competitive and cutting edge min/maxing. Raiding is almost a way of life in WoW.

Basically, try to enjoy the leveling progress and even if you're feeling somewhat ambivalent, try getting to higher level or max level. The game really opens up. Oh, and feel free to try out the dungeon queue, low level pvp, gathering and stuff like that. Just expect everything to be balanced around max level. Oh, and they've completely revamped the level 1-60 areas, making leveling MUCH easier and faster than originally.

And dammit, this thread is making me want to buy Legion so damn bad. I thought I was over WoW... you never are, I guess. Fucking addictive.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not sure how quick dungeon levelling is without heirlooms :/

15. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Master Splinter mount is boss.

That is all.

16. Wildfeather

Wildfeather The Nidokaiser ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I were just starting WoW I would try to recruit a friend with someone. 300% experience makes leveling through old, boring content a breeze (since you can either dungeon or just skip zones after you get halfway through) and it also means you get an incentive to play with your friends (who then become available to ask questions about the increasingly complex game). It only works up to 85 but after that point the quests become much more fun in my experience anyway. If you're going to try getting to level 20 using the free stuff, do it with a throw away account so you can use your real account for RAF benefits to reach max level in a reasonable time.

17. Trooper

Trooper Death Eater

Thanks guys Clerith and Wildfeather.

Starting to download the lulz 40GB now. Need to clean up the HDD a little first. XD

18. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Strongly recommend recruit a friend.
    Typhon can confirm this, recently leveled up a 100 with him before legion launch in like 2-3 days.

19. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I leveled a character in 12 hours played with Eido's help. That's a hard grind, given, but you can probably make it in 14-15 reasonably easily.

20. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I haven't touched WoW in six years and I still occasionally feel an urge to reopen my account and break out my god-mode aff lock.

It definitely stays with you, especially if you were an end-game raider/pvper at any point.