1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Worlds Frozen by FirstSelector - M - Dresden Files/Frozen

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Aekiel, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Worlds Frozen
    Author: FirstSelector
    Rating: M
    Genre: Adventure/Fantasy
    Fandom: Dresden Files/Frozen
    Pairings: Harry/Elsa
    Summary: Harry Dresden knows a thing or two about Winter and its Queens, but his expertise is put to the test when Mab sends him into an alternate reality and he meets Elsa, Queen of Arendelle. When her peaceful nation becomes the backdrop for kidnappings and murder, Harry and Elsa will have to solve the mystery surrounded by people who don't know the meaning of "private investigator."
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10531923/1/Worlds-Frozen

This was recced in the Almost Recommended thread a while back, but I think it's got to the point where it deserves its own thread.

There are a few problems with the fic, such as the wooden manner of Harry's speech and the overly formal language at times, the author has pegged Elsa's character pretty damn well. There's also the fairly rushed method of moving Harry to a new universe and the distinctly un-Unseelie faeries.

But for all the faults it does a great job of mixing Elsa's magic into the Dresden Files system, has an interesting plot and the characterisation of the Frozen characters are spot on. It also has some realistic complications for the characters, including Harry not being universally liked by the main Frozen cast.

All in all I'd give it a 4/5.

2. DemonicInfluence

DemonicInfluence Fourth Year

This was pretty good. The first few chapters made no sense. The writing was just bad there. However the story seems to have gotten its stride in the last few chapters. Like Aekiel said, the way they merged the magic is pretty cool.

4/5

3. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

In my opinion, the magic merge was a really unpleasant mix. A system that encourages a lot of responsibility and guilt is not the sort of thing I like to see Elsa sucked into. I pushed through for a while, but eventually it just became unreadably ugh. 2/5.

4. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

I like this. The merge was interesting and I wonder who Elsa actually is in relation to Mab. Is she who Mab was when she was human? Is Arendelle in Nevernever?

As for romance, I could see Elsa getting interested in Harry as well as a possible romantic interest. Loneliness is a great motivator after all. 3.5/5 rounded to 4/5

5. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I read it before and didn't really like it. I think it was the dialogue that didn't quite click for me. It felt stiff and lifeless.

Edit: Dresden's character doesn't sound right four chapters in nothing's happened to interest me even a little bit.

3/5 for functional but dull writing.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  6. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Doesn't capture Dresden's voice but I liked it. 4/5

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  7. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I found this story interesting and fun to follow, although I'll agree with everyone else and state that Dresden dialogue didn't feel natural.

However, the flow of the writing itself felt stilted to me. There were poor POV changes and sentences that did not read correctly to me.

3/5 - I like the story but don't love it.