1. Another story competition is beginning! (Q1 2018)

"You're bleeding on my floor."

We've moved to a quarterly format, so you really have no excuse not to participate this time.

So check out the new thread discussing scoring, rules, and other such matters in the in the Story Competitions forum and get cracking.

Dismiss Notice

Writing Advice and Resource Thread

Discussion in 'FanFic Discussion' started by Halt, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Seyllian

Seyllian Auror DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I feel like I am the inspiration for a lot of this...

2. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros.

Depends. Do you write worm fic?

3. Seyllian

Seyllian Auror DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Our irc conversation

4. Halt

Our conversations on IRC gave me a chance to put my thoughts in order but my investment in your stories pales in comparison to the hundreds of stories I've read with a good premise but no actual deviation or deviating without reason.

5. Ludwig

Ludwig Third Year

High Score:
    Like how King wrote the opening line in The Dark Tower? It gives us the protagonist, the antagonist and the setting all in a few words showing us exactly what the story is about.

If the author writes a story with a slow start should he/she change core aspects of the story in favour of getting a stronger start?

The link to Taure's work is the same one as the link to The Magnate btw.

6. contra

contra First Year

7. Halt

Yes King's opening for DT is iconic for that reason. Another opening I like is from Dresden Files - The building was on fire and it wasn't all my fault.

I didn't touch on opening lines, but they can be used to act as a "promise" so to speak. It hints at the reader not really what your endgame is so much as what "mood" the story is. Will it be grimdark? Fluffy? A classic hero's adventure? A reversal of tropes? Second, opening lines allow you to introduce important things about your story. Third, and this has to balanced with the other two points, there has to be a sort of "poetry" to your words. It has to flow right. If you look at both the examples we've discussed, there's a rhythm to them that makes it roll off the tongue easily.

In my mind, a strong start is not mutually exclusive with a slow start. Slowness/fastness is a matter of pacing, strong/weak is a matter of execution. and framing.

That said, if forced to make a choice, I'd say no? Chances are if you change a core aspect of the story it either 1) Won't fit the rest of your world as well, 2) Makes you dislike your own story, or 3) Ruins your plot. Those are losing trades to make. You can't sabotage yourself in the long run for short term benefits.

Besides that, there are ways to make an opening stronger that don't require drastic changes to your story. Using dialogue for example. It may not be the strongest and most memorable opening, but it can be used with just about any story and does the job decently (provided you can write dialogue).

My official explanation is "I like to shill my fic". What do you mean I made a mistake? No more questions from you sir!

Link is fixed.