1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete XSGCOM: Mirror Image by Hotpoint - 13+ - Stargate/X-Com

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by MoPhire, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MoPhire

MoPhire First Year DLP Supporter

Title: XSGCOM : Mirror Image
    Author: Hotpont
    Rating: 13+
    Pairing: No Romance
    Summary: SG1/X-COM Crossover. Not every alternate reality that might be found through the quantum mirror is a worse one for Earth, even the ones where the Goa'uld aren't the only threat and where facing the other invaders a P90 isn't a remotely effective weapon of war.This is a crossover Fic between two radically different organisations that were set up in the late 1990's to deal with an Extra-Terrestial threat to Earth, only here they exist on the same Earth, fighting two separate wars until their paths converge. In an infinite multiverse there's got to be a world on the other side of the Quantum Mirror which isn't worse for humanity right?
    Link: FF.Net

From AN:.The SGC speaks softly but in this universe humanity also has the big stick. You may not approve of the methods, the xenophobia or the militarism but if the blood sucking monsters from outer space ever did turn up, wouldn't you want the gung-ho, shoot first and dissect later, alien technology back-engineering wizards of X-Com on hand to even the score and then rewrite the rules of the game?

Despite being a crossover with a game I have no knowledge of, I found it easy to follow and very enjoyable to read. The meshing of the two world was done very well IMO, and the OCs introduced and incorporated into the story in such a way that they don't come of as Uber characters (well, maybe a little) in comparison to the SG characters, a pit that many crossovers fall into. Also, no romance whatsoever :)

Coming in at 169k words, I would highly recommend this fic to SG fans. 4/5 from me.

PS: The author has a WIP thread at SpaceBattles.com. The story is also posted at Heliopolis and Twisting the Hellmouth with a lot of reference information along with the normal chapters for those interested.

2. Bukay

Bukay Professor DLP Supporter

It is a solid 4/5 for me.

The plot so far (chapter 5) is refreshing, in comparison to HP/SGxovers where we have ascended!harry/tok'ra!harry etc just acting parallely to the plot line.

The mix with x-com simply added more violent, shoot first, ask questions later, attitude to dealing with extraterrestrials with bits of looting, pillaging and smiting. Take the gatling staff weapon for example... such a simple weapon and never used. The same goes to armored vehicles/tanks. They DO fit inside the stargate.

So it's either good enough to read or I'm just bored out of my mind and it was the last decent piece of fiction I could find...

3. Argosh

Argosh Groundskeeper

I would recommend this fic to UFO/X-Com fans. 4/5 only because the named characters survive, unlike in X-Com games.

4. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Muggle

The author highly recommends reading the Helio or TtH versions of the Fic rather than the one on ff.net incidentally. As well as the more detailed and hyperlinked chapter notes, the overall formatting of the text is better there too. ;)

Thanks for the Rec MoPhire :)

5. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Truly epic, Hotpoint. Extremely well thought out, with the dynamic, likeable OCs that seem to be the author's hallmark in all of his fics. The cynical, pragmatic atitudes and actions of several key characters lends an air of realism to a fandom that, at times, seems hopelessly naive.

The one quibble I have is Hotpoint's tendency to give spoilers for the future of the fic. He does this in many of his fics that I've read, and it is pretty annoying.

Example:
    In one of the later chapters, he tosses in a tidbit about how, in a couple of years, Earth will be dominating the Ori in their home galaxy

This bothers me. It's fairly obvious that, with the way things are progressing, the SGC will soon be kicking major ass on a galactic scale. But when the author outright tells me that, rather than showing me, it takes the sense of danger from the present conflict, implying that it is merely filler.

Regardless, it still earns a solid 5/5 for pure epic win.

I do have a somewhat related question for Hotpoint, though, if you're reading this: Have you abandoned Horse, Foot, and Artillery? It's pretty much the only reason I bother with Fireflyfans.net these days, and if it has been abandoned, I'd like to know, if only so I stop wasting my time checking for updates.

6. Hotpoint

Hotpoint Muggle

THose who think the same way would probably be well advised not to read the XSGCOM threads on spacebattles forums methinks ;)

I wouldn't check for updates there for a while however I am planning to re-write the Death or Glory Series from scratch at some point. Looking back at the Fic a few years later on it needs too much work for me to resume it as it stands.

The series is only about a quarter-million words long all together anyway, I used to write dinky little stories when I first started writing fanfic :p

7. Othalan

Cool. :D The Death or Glory series was one of the first pieces of well written fanfic that I read, and it's still one of my favorites. Looking forward to the updated version, Hotpoint!

8. Othalan

For those not in the know, the sequel, XSGCOM: Terra From the Deep is already well under way, with 11 chapters and almost 100,000 words. It seems to focus a bit more on the Atlantis side of things, but it does cover more of the Milky Way story as well.