1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Years of Rebellion by Full Pensieve - T Epic Length Supposed H/Hr

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by arkeus, Jun 21, 2006.

1. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Title: Years of Rebellion
    Author: Full Pensieve or Mike
    Rating: T
    Chapters: 46
    Words: 576,703
    Updated: September 15, 2009; Story Notes: April 5, 2012
    Published: 2003

Genre: well... it's an epic, so there is a bit of everything
    Pairing: Supposed to be H/Hr, in the sense that they are the main characters
    Summary: Sirius Black’s last will and testament is sanctioned during the summer prior to Harry’s sixth year. Harry wins his freedom from the Dursleys, but the price for that freedom is ever growing.  Many of JKR’s minor characters come to the foreground, in this dialogue-heavy tale of sons and daughters rebelling against their parents, followers rebelling against leaders, authority figures bumbling, governments crumbling, walls between worlds tumbling, and heroes rebelling against their fates.
    Link: http://fp.fanficauthors.net/Harry_Potter.php#HarryHermione
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/798752/FPyearsofrebellion - though the story notes can only be found on FFA.

Ok, this is maybe the best Harry Potter fic i have ever read. The author plays with cliches and twist them around, which result in an enjoyable and heavy-dialogue fic. There is no character bashing in this fic, but every characters begin to grow into what they would be as adult. The author often uses traumatic event for this very purpose, so don't get too annoyed if a favorite of yours gets into tough times.

This may be supposed to be an HHR fic, but that just means they are the prevalent characters, and they don't do much more than kiss once or twice in the fic- harry chases after remarkably well built OC.

Do not get scared if you see some cliches like the emancipation bit, or super rich Harry: Rest assured that those things have a purpose in the story, and that purose isn't to make Harry be some super powerful being that reflects the author.

I don't know what else to say exept read and review it, exept that this is an old classic (2003), so it may have a different opinion of "independent" than you have, but it is truly a independent!harry fic. Just read and see :)

Checked by Minion, Dec. 31, 2012
    Thx. to CheddarTrek for the fanfiction.net link.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  2. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

This fic sucks. Harry is every fucking characters whipping boy in this. It's like every fucking thing that happens has Harry being blaimed for it. Not to mention the way everyone looks down on him, with Harry generally letting everyone try to make him feel guilty.

^What a little bitch.

^Wow. He abandons his best friend's son at abusive relatives, then has the audacity to lecture him.

This is the You-Know-Who of LittleBitch!Harry stories

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  3. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

It wasn't too bad fic. I especially liked that slaughter at Hermione's place and probably the best characterization of Kingsley Shacklebolt ever.

The biggest downside is that there is LOTS of backtracking; What I mean by this is that characters get over some inner demons of theirs and move on, only to regress back to the start a few chapters later (Harry's independance is a good example of this). Same goes for their interaction - character relations seems to change 180 degrees every two weeks. It just leaves a feeling that the story doesn't progress at all, and that the author couldn't make up his fucking mind what sort of characterisation he wanted. 300,000 words long summer full of these inconsistencies can leave every reader a bit frustrated.

4. Jheph

Jheph Groundskeeper

Used to be one of my favourite, but stopped reading it after a couple of chapters.

I quite agree with this statement and also my reason for abandoning this fic. The author gives maturity to the characters then regress them back after some chapters. It was not only annoying but also frustrating.
    *shakes head*
    It was a very promising fic too at the beginning; it was quite sad.

5. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

Sniff sniff... It is weird, as the author knows where he is going. I myself don't see it at "backtracking", but more as "we don't change in a day". In my mnd, it takes many tries before someone truly change. This fic shows that. Of course, it will go there, but we can't expect harry to be kickass in one, or even thirty, chapters. Ah well, different people have different taste. Beside, i did say this was an old fic, before a whole mass of people got tired of teenager!harry :)

6. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This fic is remarkably well written and was at the time, a breath of fresh air. I still enjoy YoR; DLP may have alot of good fic recs, but after awhile the charaterization gets a bit redundant.

7. The Sinner

The Sinner Looked into the void

Somewhere between the heretic and Un'aria
    So is this story worth reading or not?

8. Swimdraconian

It's definitely worth reading; your visit to fanfiction is not complete without a trip down Full_Pensieve's Year of Rebellion. ;)

9. arkeus

arkeus Seventh Year

You are aware that he just updated?
    oh, and i love circular reasoning, great fic so far :)

About YOR, the greatest thing is that there is a *plot*. Most fics don't really have one, but in YOR, everything is important, and every characters are well made. I still haven't seen in any fics the like of the marquis, or detheridge, or even heather. His take of blaize zabini and her family is good as hell, and so on.

But, as some others have pointed out, don't think Harry will change in one day. One step ahead, two backwards is the rule. A bit lifelike :)

10. Lucas13

Lucas13 Second Year

Its more like one step ahead and fifteen backwards...:wall: But if that for your tastes...

11. Swimdraconian

Full Pensieve writes a fairly acurate representation of what being a teenager is like, and that's on top of a prophecy and a multitude of plot holes he's filling in from Rowling's bomb out.

12. jmcqk6

jmcqk6 Guest

"Full Pensieve writes a fairly acurate representation of what being a teenager is like"

I would have to strongly disagree with that. I started reading this story because it was so highly recommended, and then had to give up after struggling through god knows how many chapters. There is just way too much 'angst' and pussy!harry.

I don't know about people who I've not met, but as a teenager I didn't know anyone who acted the way the people in this fic does. Not normal by any stretch of the imagination (except perhaps dramatized TV). It's worse than the canon in that respect.

Of course, I'm rather anti-social, so I'm probably mistaken. I don't see the point in getting all angsty about stupid crap. Sue me.

That is not to say that this story is complete crap. There is some neat stuff in there. The biggest thing that comes to mind was the way Sirius did his will, and the way it was 'read.' If you take out all the angsty crap in there, that was a pretty awesome idea.

So, the moral of this review is this: if you like angsty dramatized Harry, this fic is perfect for you. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

13. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

^Co-sign. I've never seen anyone who takes blame like this Harry. Most teenagers I've met/been friends with/gone out with are more defensive and push blame onto other people rather then themselves. Granted, this Harry did grow up thinking he was worthless, but after five years of positive reinforcement from Hogwarts and being mad famous I really don't see how anyone could act this way.

14. Swimdraconian

I was saying that he did a fairly acurate representation of what a teen!Harry could be like considering all the shit he's gone through. And ten years of neglect with reinforcement is not cured by five years of hero worship/bashing. If anything it makes it worse.

15. Athenia

Athenia Groundskeeper

I'm strongly disappointed by alot of the recommendations here. To be honest, I didn't think it was worth reading. While the quality of writing itself was quite good, the characters seemed to have no realistic outlook on life.

I can sometimes handle an emotionally stunted Harry and as far as that goes, Harry was represented like an emotionally stunted teenager. The problem though was that Harry has never showed signs of being one until this story and there is little reason given in the story for it. That generally is the reason I think most people hate a pussy!Harry. In and of itself, a character is allowed to be a whimp or blame themselves, but the problem with whimp Harry is that it makes no sense because his character for the 5 years prior was never like this.

More on topic of the story however, is how much every other character seems to blame Harry. While I'll allow a little leeway for Shaklebolt as his character doesn't know Harry well and had his job risked, it bugs me how much everyone else has a go at Harry. Kinsley chose to join an illegal group and go into the DoM with them, Harry didn't twist his arm. Lupin is an adult and frankly, despite how generally well adjusted Harry was coming into the wizarding world at 11 and how much has happened since, Harry's life sucks. Period. In fact, pretty much from every aspect apart from money, Harry's life, while certainly not as bad as it could be, is pretty horrible and up until he was 11 he was pretty much down in the money department as well. In YoR, every character under the sun goes off on Harry about how he has no right to whine and how alot of things really are his fault. Even his own laywer is using his status to carry out his own personal grudges. Combine that with the fact that Harry doesn't smack some sense into these people by being a pushover, I had to struggle to keep reading.

16. Vasey

Vasey Squib

I used to really, really like this story. It was one of the first HP fanfics I read back when and it was pretty damn good, but I lost interest eventually. For a long time the story just didn't seem to be going anywhere anymore. The author got ill - not his fault, for sure, and I by no stretch of the imagination am attacking him for that - and he stopped writing for a while, then he came back, then he was gone again, then he was back, and then there was the whole thing with him continually rejigging the story, changing things around, removing scenes and adding others, changing chapter orders and such, and it just got to a point where it seemed to be more effort than it was worth to keep up with it. The story's too damn long for me to keep up with that sort of thing. And am I the only one who remembers this because none of you seem to have mentioned it?

I'm also tired of the constant angst but that's a matter of taste more than anything. It just got old for me but plenty more people seem to be still enjoying it and it's nowhere near as ridiculous as some stories I've read (I'll never forget the one where Harry was blinded, shot (leaving a great big gaping hole clear through his body as well!), and chucked off a cliff by Vernon and then got berated by McGonagall a bit later on because the way he looked was scaring the ickle firsties).

I sorta regret losing interest in all honesty because it'll probably be a great story when it's all over and done with but I just can't work up the desire to go back now. I'd be constantly half-expecting him to start randomly pulling chunks of the story out and replacing them, throwing me off again.

17. Fuegodefuerza

Fuegodefuerza Minister of Magic

Vasey, you're gonna have to point me to that fic...it sounds wonderfully original!

Anyways, solely by the (non)recommendations given, and by the parts that arkeus said that he liked, I'm going to have to put this story on the "don't-touch-with-a-33-and-a-half-foot-pole" list...pity.

18. Vasey

Vasey Squib

I don't have the link anymore, I'm afraid. I had to do a complete format, reinstall job a while back and all my old links are goners. Try asking on the pottersplace3 yahoo group. Someone has to remember it. Has to.

19. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/145155/ I remember her writing something exactly like that and he rode around on a christopher reed like broom it was pathetic.....it must have been pulled

20. draco664

draco664 Fourth Year

Mike has just posted the epilogue to the epic on ffa.net's forums section.

He's honest enough with his readers to say that he doesn't know if he has the drive to complete the fic, so has posted the epilogue he wrote several years ago. Major spoilers, but a certainly interesting method of tying up a fic.

Draco