1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete "Young and Young at heart" by J. Gray Dingler (TWD)

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Commander, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Commander

Commander Squib

High Score:
    Title: Young and Young at Heart
    (A Total Rewrite of Season 2)

Author: J. Gray Dingler
    Rating: M
    Genre: Dystopian Fantasy
    Pairing: None (C/S eventl.?)
    Fandom: The Walking Dead
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10938930/1/Young-and-Young-at-Heart-A-Total-Rewrite-of-Season-2

Summary: A coming of age story with zombies, in which a girl, a teenager, and a pregnant woman struggle to not only survive but also overcome the grotesque horrors and crushing despair of the world they're trapped in as they endure flesh starved corpses and sadistic captors alike in hope of one day finding a better life in this epic retelling of TWDG S2.

If you liked the "Walking Dead" games by Telltale, you just have to read this story - it's everything you wanted in the second season of TWDG, plus much more realism, good writing, constant apocalyptic action, angst and even love.

Give it a read, just for itself, not to mention the 500.000+ words sequel:

Three Orphan Pilgrimage

There is no reason not to read (swallow!) this if you can handle some angst and (pre)teen main protagonists.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

This is story is very true to canon in that its the characters you all know, but doing different things. If that makes sense.

I haven't read the sequel and probably don't plan to, but this wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm kind of hit or miss on the walking dead. Its another one of those shows that triggers my "black woman at the movie theater" voice as I'm screaming at the page.

The angst is a bit much sometimes, but that's mostly because I don't like angst. But it wouldn't be TWD without it. There are few survival settings past and present that make much sense. I don't think there has ever been an effective "What If" or "After Humanity's done goofed" story that could be as drawn out as TWD and still be relevant. This story embraces those aspects of the show that make it engaging to watch.

Overall I'd give this a 3.5/5. If you're just looking for words to read and you don't feel like reading a real book, then go for this.