1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Young Justice Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by M.L., Feb 15, 2016.

1. M.L.

M.L. Groundskeeper

So I just finished rewatching Young Justice, which I believe to be one of the best superhero tv shows ever. I'm wondering if anyone has any reccomondations for fanfics. No slash, no fluff, ones that preserve the atmosphere of the show. Thanks.

2. DrSarcasm

DrSarcasm Headmaster

With This Ring is probably the biggest one out there. One of the examples of a Self-Insert done right, it details the adventures of the character who wakes up in orbit around the planet with an Orange Power Ring (Avarice). It updates daily, has been running for a few years, and covers all of the season one events. Currently in between the two seasons, as the author has stated that he isn't going to skip over the six years in between the two seasons.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

With This Ring is good, but the last few dozen updates have been a drag to read.

I know you said no fluff/slice of life, but I still think Canvas is worth a read. It's very good as a character/mentor relationship piece between Superboy and Black Canary.

4. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

5. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

If they pull this off...

I'm not going to get excited just yet. My poor heart can't take this kind of excitement.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Related to Young Justice. Anyone got and decent Raven centric Teen Titans fics? Preferably not featuring Raven/BB or Raven/Robin.

7. CrackedMind

CrackedMind Minister of Magic

So with Young Justice coming back for a third season, I've been in a bit of a YJ fanfic kick. I havent read With This Ring in ages, but I remember it going off the rails when he introduced MLP. Does anyone have any good stories to recommend?

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

How's your heart? :D

9. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

The sole piece of good news I've heard in the past few days haha. At least I can bunker down and watch re-runs as the world crumbles around me.

10. Doctor Nero

Doctor Nero First Year

Brother Mine by firefright.

Summary:

When Dick returned to the Team and the Watchtower to rejoin them in their fight against The Light, he expected some surprises along the way. But his supposedly dead brother crashing in through a Zeta tube on his first night back? That wasn’t one of them.
    Now he’s left trying to solve the mystery of how Jason’s alive, why he’s back, and most importantly, if there’s anything sinister behind his return. A mystery that’s made even more complicated when it becomes clear that - even though he’s alive - Jason’s mind may have been irreparably fractured by what the Joker did to him.

Only 2 chapters in but writing and charachterisation seem on point.

11. Pure Infinity

Pure Infinity High Inquisitor

Meh. I've seen variations of this kind of story before, and this one is pretty average - and not in a good way. It really falls into this weird obsession people have with making the batfamily overly affectionate. All the hugging, and the kissing, and the crying. Maybe it fits more in the Young Justice setting than the comics (where the batfamily is basically just a bunch of paranoid schizophrenics who would sooner stab each other than hug), but even still...

Basically, what I'm saying is I can't stand this take on Nightwing. Way too pathetic for my liking.

12. Doctor Nero

Doctor Nero First Year

Bruce hasn't shown up yet so the paranoia isn't going to hit 11 unttil he does(the team is pretty paranoid though), Tim's just started his career so we can't really expect him to be the mess that he was/is in the comics, I don't know enough about Babs to judje though I'm not seeing anything wrong with her portrayal, she's about to have an offscreen breakdown and Dick is probably still in shock. To be fair season 1 Dick did tell Black Canary that he didn't feel like he had it in him to be a detached machine whose only concern was the mission like Bruce is( Dick was 13 at the time and his actions in season 2 kind of mute that point but still). All in all I like tha story so I'm gonna see where it goes( I'm kinda a Jason fan.)

Do oyu think you can reccomend some stories that caught your fancy?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  13. Pure Infinity

See, I understand where you're coming from. I'm a Jason fan too. I just don't like this fics handling of him. I don't expect Dick to be a cold machine (he's the wise ass of the team, after all), but I have no interest in reading about him playing grab ass in the batmobile, y'know?

As for recs... None really, in the YJ fandom itself. In terms of Jason Todd fics in general, only one really springs to mind.

Rise to the Challenge by Skalidra. It takes New 52 Jason Todd and shoves him into Batman Beyond's Gotham. There's only three chapters, and it hasn't been updated in over a year, but I honestly can't think of anything else.

I've been largely avoiding Jason Todd fics for a while now. Most of them either aren't bleak enough, or go in the opposite direction as a wangst fic (complete with slash).

14. Doctor Nero

Doctor Nero First Year

I kinda don't, lol.

15. Pure Infinity

99% of Jason Todd fics are slash, and that tends to bleed into the 1% that are not slash.

16. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't go that far (though I haven't bothered to keep up with comics for quite a while now), but the characters in that fic were definitely overly-affectionate. "Little wing?" For fuck's sake, that sure isn't brotherly. That's just begging for it to turn into a slash fic.

And even before all the retcons and rewrites and Crises and whatever, were Dick and Jason ever really brothers? I never thought so. Though we only ever saw Jason as a memorial in the YJ universe so it could feasibly be different there.

17. Jester

Jester Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Pretty sure they are both adopted by Bruce. So Ya brothers of a sort.

18. Pure Infinity

Technically brothers, but Dick wasn't even in Gotham anymore when Jason was adopted, IIRC.

19. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    They were taken in as wards, not actually adopted, I think. But besides the technicalities they were never close enough to really be brothers that I remember. Dick approved of Jason taking the costume and Jason looked up to Dick, but I don't remember their relationship being all that close. But I read Jim Starlin's stuff for Jason, not much else, so maybe another writer added more to that relationship.

20. Mr. Merriman

Mr. Merriman Groundskeeper

Dick Grayson and Tim Drake were both officially adopted by Bruce Wayne. Jason, I have no idea, and his history's got more retcons than Post-Crisis Hawkman, but during Jason's run as Robin and beyond, Dick was in Bludhaven as Nightwing and no longer operating out of the Batcave.

I, too, have noticed a trend in fanfiction for characters with a strong family dynamic to be over affectionate. I suspect it is due to these fics being written by girls and thus the male characters bond and show their affection in ways typical to females. There's a lot of casual touching that most guys would find weird. Open crying. Both at the same time, which always throws me. I know that the 'men don't cry' stereotype is wrong and dumb, but it's a pretty rare guy who's going to express his worry over a friend's physical safety by squeezing him in a death grip and sobbing.