1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Currently Updating Fics

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Averis, May 16, 2013.

1. samkar

samkar Temporarily Banhammered

I prefer Stranger even if the alternative reality fails to suspend my disbelief on occasion.
    Harry's characterization in this story feels more realistic to me and the other characters feel fresh.
    C'est la Vie is something you read because nothing else is there so you have to suffer through a Gary Stu and "Let's all be friends" snooze party.

2. Another Empty Frame

Another Empty Frame Fake Flamingo DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Started Hogwarts Battle School, this is awesome ten chapters in and strikes me as Library worthy so far.

3. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
  4. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

The Game of Champions, that's pretty much it right now

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Human Revolution started quite good, hit the top with crime thriller on Citadel and then plummeted down with the constant shout-outs, blatantly steeling characters from other series and generally having almost nothing remotely tieing it to either Mass Effect or Deus Ex universes. It should ba called Square Enix Effect: Megacrossover Clusterfuck.

6. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I see NMB posted a chapter today on ffnet, so I guess I'll have to add Harry Potter and the Forests of Valbonë to the list... even if it's a bit that was in WbA already. ;)

7. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is really good. Surprised I haven't heard about it before.

8. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Strangers at Drakeshaugh is my surprisingly laid back 'first fic that pops into my head'. I just wish 'currently updating' equaled 'frequently updating.'

Jibril mentioning a "Megacrossover Clusterfuck" reminds me that the most recent installment of Doghead Thirteen's Harry Johnson series could easily fit on this list, except that it hasn't updated since late 2011, so I can technically only hope it's 'currently updating.'

9. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Long as you don't have to go back and re-read the first few chapters, especially the first one. Absolutely horrid in hindsight.

As for currently updating fics, I'm only following one right now:

Hogwarts Dawn A little different feel from Jeconais on this one, though the all-powerful-Harry is still central. It's a bit darker than normal for him, but is also purposefully over the top.

10. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  11. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Alexandra Potter, because of the details and interesting plot.

Far Too Many Time Travelers, because I can't get enough of time travel.

12. Daedros

Daedros Seventh Year

I follow what's updated on DLP, but... I'm guessing everyone in this thread is pretty familiar with those stories.

Beyond that, the only story that's recently updated that I've been enjoying is Curse of the Reapers, which has a title that makes it sound both bland and sort of like a Mass Effect crossover, but is in fact an extremely deep and well-written Harry Potter AU.

13. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

If I'm honest and only add the fics I'll read immediately on update and that have updated recently:

Applied Cultural Anthropology, or by jacobk
    ... How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Cruciatus. Albus Dumbledore always worried about the parallels between Harry Potter and Tom Riddle. But let's be honest, Harry never really had the drive to be the next dark lord. Of course, things may have turned out quite differently if one of the other muggle-raised Gryffindors wound up in Slytherin instead.

I'm still waiting a bit on this one whether to post it in For Review or Almost Recommended.

Same author wrote Trial by Ninja, but the sequel is currently on hold while he writes the HP story.

Five Kingdoms for the Dead
    Summary: After the Forest of Death, Sakura comes to realize that being weak is no longer an option. However, she finds that change is sometimes painful and that truth doesn't always come easy.
    Another Sakura story, that focuses quite a bit on her multiple personalities, so if that's one of your pet-peeves, stay away. ;)

Mother of Learning Original Fic, Peggy Sue story set in a fantasy world.

Worm obviously.

Life in Konoha's ANBU by Shezza
    This one is pretty self-explanatory.

Dreaming of Sunshine by Silver Queen
    A self-insert story that works.

Another relatively unknown one:
    Dungeon Keeper Ami a DK/Sailor Moon Xover
    Hasn't been updated in 4 months now, but I really hope it isn't abandoned.

14. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

The Prince Who Was Promised

The Prince Who Was Promised » reviews
    He remembered being Harry Potter. Dreamed of it. He dreams of the Great Other too, a creature of ice and death, with eyes red as blood and an army of cold, dead things. He is only the 2nd son of the King, a 'spare', but that changes when things rather left in the dark come to light, and Westeros is torn asunder by treachery and ambition. Winter is coming... but magic is might.
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Game of Thrones - Rated: M - English - Adventure/Tragedy - Chapters: 4 - Words: 35,724 - Reviews: 360 - Updated: 5-21-13 - Published: 4-19-13 - Harry P. & unknown 1

15. Warheart

Warheart Sixth Year

So basically, aside from some exciting crossovers, HP fandom has well and truly lost it's momentum. I checked my personal C2 and no decent Fic got updated in the last few months. Does Delenda Est count?

16. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Yeah, I'm enjoying jacobk's story, but it's got some issues that prevent me from putting it as one of my favorites. I found Five Kingdoms to take a dive in quality pretty fast as well.

Frankly though there's not much I can add that hasn't been put up in the thread. I'm really enjoying Rathanel's The Empty Cage and it's sister story Swapping the Cage as well as the latest in claymande's silly Ranma/Sailor Moon crossover titled The Dark Lords Ascendent

17. Rache

Rache Headmaster

I have been following the 'Hogwarts Battle School' since January and

Harry Dursley and the Chronicles of the King from quite a while.

Yes, it's in the recycle bin in DLP library, but the latest chapters's quality has risen, are very good and Harry is really turning into a total bad-ass slowly. The author is showing no inclinations in stopping the story anytime soon, the word count is half a million and it's just the end of the third year.

18. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

A good really long read is Three Families by James Golen. I've been following this story for over a year and a half and have greatly enjoyed the whole thing. Likely one of the best Avatar the Last Airbender fic and most definitely the best Azula fic out there.

Another good one is Prince of the Dark Kingdom by Mizuni-sama. One of the greatest Voldemort fics that I know of.

I'm also following Error of Soul by Materia-Blade. The most well done soul-bond I have read yet.

19. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I really enjoyed this one. Hermione in Slytherin has been done before, but I can't remember it ever being without Harry. Seeing someone adjust to a new house without the baggage of being the BWL and interacting with the snakes was interesting. It helps that it's fairly well written, with a some thought put into how magic works & how Hermione could progress.

And the latest chapter was fun, seeing her act kinda bad-ass. I think I've got like three Hermione-centric stories on the fav list; this one will be added.

20. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter