1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your first Fanficion or How did you start reading FF's?

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Marguerida, Apr 16, 2005.

1. That_Boy

That_Boy DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I started off finding ff.net of www.bored.com and then I read some Discworld fanfics and the quality was quite poor. Then i saw that there were about 10x as many HP fics as any other so I started on those. The first ones I read that I can recall the names of were OOTP by Miranda Flairgold, and The Awakening Of A Magus by The Dreamer. One of which is still going. I read some bad HD Slash too. At the time there were all those Founders/Merlin turn up in Harrys room at midnight fics about. I still like my superHarry but i'm more into Dark/Independant now.

2. Ravage

Ravage First Year

I started reading ff's with Ranma1/2 and the first author was AnimeAddiction better known as Hung Nguyen from there I found my way to ff.net. I read Ranma.5 for a couple years before Cory D. Rose started recomending diffrent HP fics on his site and I decided it was just time to try something diffrent and clicked on a link to Harry Potter and the Druid Pathway which is being rewritten as Harry Potter and the Temptations of Independence but is still online.

3. DaytonDeusBlack

DaytonDeusBlack Seventh Year

Frankly...I started fanfiction with Pokemon and then continued to portkey.org. I used to be a hardcore Harry/Hermione shipper. Then, I came to FF.net. I read thousands of fics and stumbled upon Traitor's Within. From Midknight's profile, I reached here.

4. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Same here. Also from portkey, which had AWESOME H/Hr back in the days.
    Pretty sure first story I read was barbs Psyphic Serpent of the
    Triangle Trilogy in like...2000? or something. Yep I was hardcore H/G, H/Hr back in the days, I even have a relic fanfic of that time on my ff.net account lol.

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Everyone else has read that series but me. I tried and just didnt like it.

6. Mrriddler

It's alright. That's a phase most of us got through. If you ask me now to read it, my answer would most likely be no. It's one of those come and gone memorable experience that you want to have but don't necessarily want to stay in.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Same, I read the summary and first few chapters and just kind of " walked away shaking my head ".

8. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Yeah. Couldnt get into it at all. I was wondering what all the hype was about it.

9. Mrriddler

Best story at the time. Everyone was fucking all over it. Remember this was like 2000, 2001 when he/she finished the first and second parts I think. This was pre-5th book so the ideas she had were amazing. Some of the things like the idea of the prophecy was just ahead of the times. Also the character development was second to none. Used people like alicia, Draco as good guy (one of the first that did it well), and pregnant Delacour...who became insane because Draco cast a spell in which she imagined she rid her baby out of her womb...yeah that stuck with me...gruesome but clever idea.

Also, NC-17 rated. Everyone was a "slut", pratically every main male/female in that series slept with multiple people at some point. H/Hr, R/Hr, H/Alicia, H/G, G/D (did they ever sleep together? forgot), and oh...get this Lily Evans had slept with ALL, I mean ALL of the Maranders...AND, that's an AND Snape... all at diferent times of course, but that was...jeez.

There's a quote I remember from harry's thought. "My mom's cheating on Sirius with her husband (Snape)...does that even make sense." LMAO.

Yeah, regular soap opera with action and all that shit.

10. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Thats a lot of sluttness...

11. Midknight

Midknight Middy is SPAI! DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Riddle, would you mind taking out at least one of the bunnies in your sig please, it's just a tad huge =) Been meaning to ask for a few days now, was busier yelling @ other folks. Try to keep the sigs as close to 90,000 pixel wide as possible is the rule. Mine for example sits at 90,500 for a reference point.

12. Mrriddler

ah gotcha...good thing I didn't try to gte all 7 in, not that the site would let me.

13. sgtoutlaw

sgtoutlaw Second Year

Omg Midknight, same exact thing happened to me.

That was just scary, I got it off of a p2p program and it said it was the Ootp book and all, read it and thought it was good, later on I actually see the book in a book store and browse through it. Realise it looks nothing like the fanfic I read and get the actual one, and am VERY disappointed. I seriously did not like the 5th book.

By the way, it was Barb's Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent that I had read I found out later after a lot of asking around. Since I didn't know about fanfiction then it took me a long time, and I therefore finished it and the other books in the series.

Oh, and just to say I then started reading Naruto fanfiction more then Harry Potter, but Harry Potter after there do to its sheer size. I have read some Inuyasha fics but generally don't like and some DBZ fics I like. Most surprizing to me is finding such good Hikaru no Go fanfics, which is like the greatewst manga. :p The only problem of course being all the slash between the main characters -.-

14. Euphemism

Euphemism First Year

I started with Sonic the Hedgehog fanfiction, probably sometime around 12 years ago. There was a lot of interesting stuff out there - Dan Drazen was one of the best authors, although at the time it may have been a little bit difficult for me to read. I do remember reading a few articles that tried to explain how dragons could fly, how Sonic could twist his legs into a circle and run (by dislocating them and generating a field of some sort) and how he could run while carrying Sally past the speed of sound without dust particles puncturing them and their lungs. Great stuff.
    I eventually settled down at Netraptor's forums - she wrote some decent Sonic fanfiction, although the people there were fairly devout Christians for the most part. And they stayed away from anything that might possibly contain sex. Right. I remember a great series by Robert Brown and Francis Tolbert, and in one of the episodes Harry's heading off in what might be the last battle, and presumably he has sex (in a non-graphic way). So they dismissed it as a sex-fic. Riiiiight.

I actually remember going to fanfiction.net when it just started up, but there wasn't really very much I felt like reading from it. At other sites I could be certain of the quality of the stuff I was reading.

As for Harry Potter, the earliest story I remember reading was either Barb's series or Cassandra Claire's series. It was all such a long time ago. I've ditched the fandom twice so far, after getting bored of it, and jumped into a different one (BtVS both times). If you like Xander, tenhawk writes a bunch of great stories. In particular his Xander-as-Punisher series and Journeyverse.

15. DaytonDeusBlack

What's Cassandra Claire's series? If someone konws, can you provide a link? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

As for Barb's series, Istill love it. I might not like the H/G there but the way she writes is very captivating.

16. Silent

Silent Kinky Wench

17. DaytonDeusBlack

Thank you. I appreciate it. :p

18. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

My first fic must have been Harry Potter and the Psychic Serpent or Amulet of time or The order of Phoenix by Ruskbyte. I am sure it was one of these

19. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

My first was some story i downloaded off Bearshare claiming to be HBP, but it was really weird featuring this wizarding card game played on a hologram board...it was really weird (it featured Friendly!Dursleys and Highlyintelligent evilgenius!Draco) but oddly satisfying, but then I read the middle book of the Psychic Serpent trilogy, got hooked on that series (I didn't much like the Year 7 book's ending or the H/G, but I couldn't put it down) and then I was off, hooked on portkey.org, then schnoogle, and then eventually ff.net, though I do still watch a fic or two on schnoogle.

20. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Sounds like a Yu-Gi-Oh~Harry Potter Crossover, sounds...
    ...lame...