1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Your Predictions for Deathly Hallows, and Results

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KlavoHunter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. KlavoHunter

KlavoHunter Second Year

After reading HBP, everyone had their own predictions for things that were going to happen in the final book. What I'd like to find out is, what were those predictions, and how close did they come to what actually happened?

Personally, after HBP, I was completely convinced that Snape's killing of Dumbledore was a pre-planned act between the two of them, as an ultimate act of deception. After all, having killed the "Greatest Wizard in Britain", Snape would surely end up being Voldemort's right-hand man - deep and trusted enough in the Death Eaters that he could betray Voldemort at a critical moment, to give Harry the advantage. I personally figured that it would be Snape suddenly killing Nagini (Followed quickly by Snape's own death by the betrayed Voldemort), thus removing Voldemort's final Horcrux, allowing Harry to kill Voldemort once and for all.

I was for the most part right, but, rather than getting an opportunity to really betray Voldemort, Nagini kills him. Funny how that ended in the precise opposite way of what I thought, even though it was lame how Snape died like a punk.

Also, I thought the "Harry is a Horcrux" rumor to be ridiculous. Of course, I was wrong, and IMHO the whole thing sucked, especially with the means that Harry rid himself of it - Rowling had previously stated that, in the HP-verse, "Dead is dead, nobody can be resurrected," but of course she turns around and makes Harry die and come back to life as some sort of pseudo-Jesus figure. :puke:Stupid Deus Ex Machinas.

2. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

I predicted that DH would suck. I was proved correct.

I also predicted that Harry would end up with the Whore, and Mollywobbles' ridiculous and sickening notion of "One Big Happy Weasley Family" would come to pass. Again, I was correct.

3. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

I thought it was going to be epic... worthy of sitting on my bookshelf...I was dissappointed.

4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I had expected it's readability to go between 'worth reading' and 'it burns my eyes' followed at the end by an epic duel that would have made all the shittyness and suffering worth it.

Well one out of two wasn't bad. :rolleyes:

5. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I expected Neville to kill Bellatrix: we know how that gheeey-ness turned out.

I also didn't expect Griphook to be a douche, but I was pleasantly surprised by that.

I DID expect Ron to be a douche.

Harry being a horcrux? Called it. Dumbledore's death planned? Called it.

Harry and Ginny back together? Called it, but she didn't really write the story like they would hook up again...hm.

I didn't, and on some level you probably didn't too, since you still read it. Or was it more that you just wanted to get it over with?

6. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

I never finished it, actually. Stopped at the bit where Ron comes back.

I approached DH with the attitude: "okay, this'll suck, but it's the end." Yeah, I thought that I'd read it and that would be it.

Turns out I was so disgusted with the way things ended, I started reading fanfiction in a way I never had before (I'd dabbled a little before OOtP and HBP came out). Mostly I'd just read crappy fifth- and sixth- year fics, but I started looking at Dark! AU, and Independant!Harry stories, but Humour I love above all else.

It was the "Dumbledore being gay" declaration that broke the camel's back. And so the world of Harry Potter fandom was changed forever, as a time-travelling extraterrestrial from the planet Gallifrey signed up to DLP.net.

In conclusion, Rowling is a cum-loving whore, and we can easily see she modelled the character of Ginny after herself.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wrong. Ginny is her fantasy persona. She's modeling herself after Ginny.

8. Nymphe

Nymphe Second Year DLP Supporter

1. Molly was being set up to do something in the final book, hopefully die, so I was half right.

2. Dumbledore planned his death was so obvious as well as Snape dying.

3. I had hoped Snape's Patronus would be a bat, crow or raven. A damn deer, GTFO Rowling.

4. Ron will be taken out of action again.

5. Draco's role would be expanded. WRONG!

6. Harry and Snape would be forced to have a recogning and work together. Rowling took the easiest way out of it.

7. I thought Harry would shove both he Voldemort into the Veil, destroying the soul piece, and Sirius would guide Harry back to the land of the land via a portal in that locked room in the DoM. Instead, Voldemort dies from a technicality.

8. Bellatrix was a Metamorphmagus who morphed in Lupin to trick Sirius and the Potters into allowing Wormtail become their secret keeper.

9. Luna and Neville would have their day in the sun while Ginny would be downplayed (and go away).

10. Luna and Ollivander were related.

11. HBP was nothing more than a fun house of mirrors and distractions.

12. That we would have another traitor from the "light side" but not a new character.

13. Last but not least, that Rowling was planning something to wow the reader. I have read better twists in those old Goosebumps books.

Agreed! Hermione is everything she hates about herself.

9. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I thought a number of minor characters that were brought into cameo roles in the later books might have a larger role (albiet nonetheless marginal) like Blaise. I was also hoping, though suspected otherwise, that Harry at some point would shoot down one of Hermione's schemes, pointing out just how wrong she was about Malfoy and her attitude towards the potions book.

Redeemed Snape, Manipulative Dumbledore, Asshole Ron - not really a 'prediction' when it's staring you in the face, but I suppose I get points for that.

At no point did I predict Harry would name his child after the two men who made sure the the better part of two decades of his life were a living hell.
    That one got me.

10. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

I was on vacations when DH came out; as I couldn't buy it I went to a cybercafé and downloaded it (It's baaaad!) but I didn't mind as I would have bought it later... or at least I thought I would.

Because when I started reading it, I thought it was your average 7th year fanfiction. Found the whole Harry splitting too... stupid.

I stopped after a few chapters and when I came back in Belgium, I went to a store and checked the original DH book... and to my astonishment it was the same I read in the downloaded version. I couldn't believe JKR wrote that... but she apparently did it.

I nearly fainted. Well, when I came back home I finished reading the internet version so I could say "At least it's done" to myself and went to sleep.

Now that I think about it... fanfictions probably ruined the books. Since I read a lot of fanfictions my standarts have risen... just as I'm not looking into H/G or slash fanfictions, JKR's didn't interest me as much as before.

Maybe I'll buy DH so I have the whole HP serie on my shelves but I'll wait until the price goes down because that shit isn't worth 25 euros ($35).

11. Cxjenious

Cxjenious Dark Lord

Fanfiction did ruin it a bit... though I think I would have disliked it anyway, as, like Dr. Inhaler said, Harry never once went against Hermione, despite her being both wrong and a bitch in the previous book.

12. The Doctor

The Doctor Unspeakable

Which would make 'ol Gin a Mary Sue.

There's a post or an essay that I read somewhere about this.

Essentially, the point was "ambition bad, family good", or something like that.

Hermione, despite all her failings, is probably the most brilliant witch to come out of Hogwarts in the last fifteen years. She could have gone anywhere and done anything.

But to Rowling, this is bad. She sets up Slytherin House as "teh evol 1", and what are they characterized by? Ambition. The pricks abandon the school in the Battle of Hogwarts.

So the trio can't be ambitious: they have to be family-friendly.

Hermione finds salvation with Ron Weasley: her punishment, to have two red-headed children, and spend an eternity in a worthless, dead-end job in the Ministry.

Harry. likewise, is trapped with Ginny Weasley. He has three red-headed children and ends up as Head of the Auror Department. Ambitious? Hardly. He's Harry fucking Potter! He could have been Minister of Magic, for fuck's sake.

Ah yes, the Weasleys. The black hole that sucks the best of the Wizarding World in. In a century, the blondes and brunettes of Wizarding Britain will be slaving away for their red-headed masters. It'll be worse than the fucking Draka.

13. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not really a prediction, so much as a massive peeve at the lack of prediction. Sure we could all-but-know we were going to be spoon fed tripe about the poor, misunderstood Snape and Neville's crap-to-cream rise, but on anything substantial, she just pulled the rug out from the reader. Six books, all of which could have been filled with little morsels hinting at things to come. Cheeky glimpses that we could look back on and truly admire.

But no - instead, we get sucker punched with the deathly hallows out of left fucking field, and then Voldemort, in a desperate bid to sink to an even greater laughing stock of villians everywhere, offs himself - right after having to endure Molly Wobbles mysteriously killing Bellatrix. Sure...

On a final note, in 700 plus pages, would it have been too difficult to have added something along the lines of: The Slytherins moved as a unit, abandoning their school in favor of their dark lord. Suddenly, a pretty blonde turned around, blue eyes searching for emerald green. "Potter", Daphne Greengrass asked with a lazy smirk. "Before you die...time for a pity fuck?"

Just saying.

14. lilyqueen777

lilyqueen777 Banned

Wow someone else who thinks DH is nothing more than bad fanfiction (just made into cannon).

I read better searching for the Horcruxes fanfiction than DH.

First I predicted that Snape was good, and what Hagrid said in the HBP was true, so a pact was made between Snape and Dumbledore. I really wanted Snape to live. At least I got one out of two.

Second I predicted that Tom Riddle's old orphanage would have played a part for the search of the Horcruxes. It was mentioned in DH, about how the orphanage was destroyed.

Third I predicted that Ron would be a prat and probably die. (Ginny would also die.) I was partially right again, because Ron was a prat in DH, but he nor Ginny died.

15. mumihp

mumihp First Year

After reading HBP, I was convinced that Snape was still with the 'light' , Also right before 7 months beofre DH realease,

Was right about gin sly getting back togther with harry and I guessed that of they every had children, one will be called James and the other Lily, it was predictable, afterall wouldn't you name your children after your dead parents.

I predicted that Nerville will kill Bellatric, you know avenge his parents, but the 'ginger baby maker' killed bellatrix, which has got to be the stupiest thing I read, I mean come one, how can Molly Weasley kill Voldermort right hand Lieutinent????

16. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    "Molly and Bellatrix were duelling to a standstill, Bella raised her head to taunt the plump powerhouse when suddenly out of nowhere, Neville springs from the shadows and nails Bellatrix with a chair"

I admit I honestly thought that Snape was working for Voldemort. Makes more sense than lusting after a corpse.

17. Methene

Methene Auror

I wanted Bellatrix Lestrange to slaughter Neville Longbottom slowly, torturing him into insanity, bringing an end to the Longbottom character arc. An epilogue with Neville and his mum and dad drooling toghether would have been pure, divine justice.

I wanted the Weasley family ripped apart limb to limb. I wanted to see their corpses rotting on stakes outside the conquered Hogwarts. I expected Ron Weasley to hit the bucket early on, allowing some fucking usefulness from Harry. I wanted Ginny Weasley to shrivel off and die; Instead we are getting the Half-Blood film declared as part romantic comedy. I wanted Molly to die painfully. I wanted Arthur to get run over by a double decker bus while he ran to a Muggle store.

I wanted Bill Weasley to be ripped to pieces by a werewolf, or for Fleur to abandon him to his fate, changing her mind at the wedding and running off with Harry. Hermione could live, she brings no hatred to mind. Still with Ron dead, she could perhaps move on to doing something useful with her life.

I wanted either Harry to shape up or for Lord Voldemort to win in case Harry was still an imbecile. The only part I really liked was Harry using the Imperius Curse. I would have liked to see a Killing Curse, but I presume that is to Slytherin for the second coming of Merlin to be using.

Sadly my predictions were not fulfilled and we got canon...

18. Banner

Banner Dark Lady

I DID guess that Snape and one of the twins would die, but I thought Snape would go out by taking a hit for Harry, to open up a path to Voldemort.

19. Humbolt

Humbolt Seventh Year

I guessed that it would have some reread value, or even readability for that matter. I was dead wrong.

20. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I honestly expected Snape to be on his own side (one which conflicts with Harry's side, of course). After killing Dumbledore, and watching Harry kill Voldemort in some epic duel (God damn it, Rowling), I expected Snape to take Voldemort's place at the head of the world, or something similar.

That didn't happen, as we all know. Then again, after book five, I kind of expected Harry/Luna to happen, and we all know that didn't happen, either.